Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

It's pretty sad for the Mirai UK release especially when you compare to the French branch of AL who got a big chunk of those extras.

-Interview with Director Mamoru Hosoda (1080p, 37:39)
-Mirai at Cannes Film Festival (1080p, 7:39)
-The New World of Mamoru Hosoda (1080p, 21:05) ("Making-of" name in the french release)
-Visiting Studio Chizu (1080p, 5:51)
-Mamoru Hosoda Visits Toyama Prefecture (1080i, 17:58)

+ the exact same packaging, months before UK.

Gun Gale Online player incompatibility.

Tried on 2 Panasonic decks, I got corrupted graphics and text on the main menu screens. Trying it on VLC, the menu bar failed to load at all. The disc content is fine though

Gun Gale Online player incompatibility.

Tried on 2 Panasonic decks, I got corrupted graphics and text on the main menu screens. Trying it on VLC, the menu bar failed to load at all. The disc content is fine though
How you're describing it suggests like files got corrupted in the authoring. Weird that they didn't notice or test on enough players.

How you're describing it suggests like files got corrupted in the authoring. Weird that they didn't notice or test on enough players.

If it was corrupt it would occur on all players. We actually investigated this on our side when we heard this report (although we're using Aniplex USA's master, so it's out of our control anyway), but for reference this was the feedback we received:

"The player doesn't appear to be honouring the graphic assets themselves. For instance on the Chapters screenshot I noticed that its displaying Prologue as 'loguePro' with the e and P touching, but the asset used for the Active state of Prologue is one image with no breaks in it.

It looks like the player is adding an offset to the X,Y coordinates and then doing a wrap of the image itself. It seems to have left shorter graphic assets intact, such as those for 'Part A' etc."

The feedback has also been passed onto the developer of the authoring software used for the release in case it's something that can be rectified there, but it's likely to be a player-specific issue that's outside of their control.

Bit of a late reply but I get the same issue with the main menu on my Sony BDP-S370. If I bring the menu up while playing an episode, the menu is perfectly fine. Only messed up on the main menu.

While my player is old(released in 2010), it plays everything fine.

Couple of photos for reference.

Main menu
001.jpg002.jpg

Menu during an episode.
003.jpg

Blu-ray

Mary and the Witch's Flower (Altitude): Three instances of subtitles missing the last 2 letters and the punctuation mark at the end of the sentence (0:19:49, 0:33:09 and 0:37:23).

EDIT: This is for the English subtitles for the Japanese audio, not the hard of hearing subtitles for the dub.

Last edited:
Blu-ray

Mary and the Witch's Flower (Altitude): Three instances of subtitles missing the last 2 letters and the punctuation mark at the end of the sentence (0:19:49, 0:33:09 and 0:37:23).

EDIT: This is for the English subtitles for the Japanese audio, not the hard of hearing subtitles for the dub.
More sloppy subtitling work. Great. 🙄

570CB619-C854-446B-93B0-88988001A67E.jpegB2C8B031-03CD-495D-81B1-EB28D2FDD65D.jpeg

Boruto Set 1 back cover lists the OVA, but it’s not on the discs.

‪Madman have the OVA listed for Set 2 while Viz have it on Set 1. I’m assuming Manga used Viz’s cover assets and Madman’s discs without actually running any QC, typical Manga style. ‬

I have read that there were some audio issues in the Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill blu-ray releases. Were these corrected in the re-released discs? I have the Zavvi exclusive edition of Gurren Lagann and the standard versions of Kill La Kill for reference.

I have read that there were some audio issues in the Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill blu-ray releases. Were these corrected in the re-released discs?
The video issue and audio quirks found on the original release of Gurren Lagann are still present in the Zavvi edition because they're the same discs.

The standard edition of part 1 of Kill la Kill has a reprinted disc to fix some out-of-sync audio that was found on the dub of one episode of the original Collector's Edition only.

See the Blu-ray list in the long opening post of this thread for more details. 🙂

The video issue and audio quirks found on the original release of Gurren Lagann are still present in the Zavvi edition because they're the same discs.

The standard edition of part 1 of Kill la Kill has a reprinted disc to fix some out-of-sync audio that was found on the dub of one episode of the original Collector's Edition only.

See the Blu-ray list in the long opening post of this thread for more details. 🙂

Thanks for the reply. I'm just curious as I've heard that the audio on Gurren Lagann is actually mono for the Japanese track. Is there any truth/verification for this?

I'm just curious as I've heard that the audio on Gurren Lagann is actually mono for the Japanese track. Is there any truth/verification for this?

AUKN user @Mangaranga once told me this:
In regards to the video - It's not a massive deal. Whilst it is very noticeable and I'd definitely rather it wasn't there, it is only around 30 seconds of it.
Speaking as someone who's a big supporter of Anime Limited though, I do still feel the need to warn that there is a more pressing issue with the BDs (at least in my eyes, or ears in this case) - 21 of the 27 episodes have mono audio and/or an audio defect of sorts for the Japanese track. Considering I've never actually fully played back the retail discs, I went through each episode to confirm, and to break it down:

Episodes 1 - 10 and 23 - 27 have mono audio.
Episode 11 - 16 are... in the only way I can describe it, screwed... They may(?) be stereo but something has gone completely wrong with the audio mix.
Episodes 17 - 22 appear to have correct stereo audio.

No idea if the AL DVD inherits any of the BD defects though, but neither the Bandai Legends DVD nor Aniplex's BDs suffer from them.

Blu-ray:
Maquia (Anime Limited):

Reason: Video was de-grained. Yes, it is a digitally produced film and the grain was artificial, but by removing it, artifacts pop up. Also, the compression isn't as good as the JP and US Nozomi releases. Disc was done by French authoring house Com'On screen.

AL:
5.png

JP:
5.png

Also, subtitles in either English or French are locked when Japanese audio is chosen, for those who care.
Screenshots are from @Scavenger

Well. I may have just encountered something disappointing.
GoS, sub only, honestly though I should have checked that before, so that’s not the issue

issue is 5.1 doesn’t seem to work, at least not for me. I can’t tell what’s different, one track is just louder (stereo) which would be my front speakers, the other track is much quieter and doesn’t start anything but stereo up

Edit: that was actually me -.- for some reason the PS4 defaulted to something it wasn’t connected to

Last edited:
Has anyone else had a problem with the Steins Gate Zero Part 1 Double Play box set Blu Ray disk 1?

It just refuses to recognize the disk for me. I tried Corel WIN DVD and Leawo. I don't think it's my player as it's the only disk I have trouble with, Blu ray 2 plays fine.

I even bought a second copy of the same box set and it did exactly the same! It tries and tries to read over and over again until the program crashes but gets nowhere.

Has anyone else bought a copy and can confirm if it does or doesn't work for them? Both appear to be the same pressing with code MANB6106A VFE44052 on them, it's only the first Blu-ray that appears defective.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Steins Gate Zero Part 1 Double Play box set Blu Ray disk 1?

It just refuses to recognize the disk for me. I tried Corel WIN DVD and Leawo. I don't think it's my player as it's the only disk I have trouble with, Blu ray 2 plays fine.

I even bought a second copy of the same box set and it did exactly the same! It tries and tries to read over and over again until the program crashes but gets nowhere.

Has anyone else bought a copy and can confirm if it does or doesn't work for them? Both appear to be the same pressing with code MANB6106A VFE44052 on them, it's only the first Blu-ray that appears defective.
I got the version that came in the collectors box and was able to successfully watch it on my ps4 without any issues. Havent tried it on anything else.

Edit: the pressing codes are the same on mine.

Back