Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

I did think that, but as I've had problems with subtitles recently I thought I'd double check before it was too late to return it lol :oops:

Some goodish news about the first Berserk movie from Kaze.

The DVD disc has English and Japanese audio, which is locked, and English subtitles and signs, which are locked, as per usual.

The Blu-ray however has just a single locked subtitle track (no signs), but the good thing is that the Audio streams are unlocked. If you want English audio with English subs, select Japanese audio with subs in the menu and start the film, then switch the audio with your remote.

Just Passing Through said:

The DVD disc has English and Japanese audio, which is locked, and English subtitles and signs, which are locked, as per usual.

The Blu-ray however has just a single locked subtitle track (no signs), but the good thing is that the Audio streams are unlocked. If you want English audio with English subs, select Japanese audio with subs in the menu and start the film, then switch the audio with your remote.

I going to guess that this was unintentional then, because if this was intentional it's a stupid move, the subtitle button is there for a reason.
Baby step forward I guess?

Would it be too much to, you know, not lock ANYTHING on the disc?
C'mon, what's wrong with letting me view something I bought the way I want to without annoyances in the way?

It baffles me that R1 equivalent releases don't have this, yet we do.
We can view these shows problem free other ways, whether its an R1 release or via 'other' methods.

Mangaranga said:

I going to guess that this was unintentional then, because if this was intentional it's a stupid move, the subtitle button is there for a reason.
Baby step forward I guess?

Would it be too much to, you know, not lock ANYTHING on the disc?
C'mon, what's wrong with letting me view something I bought the way I want to without annoyances in the way?

It baffles me that R1 equivalent releases don't have this, yet we do.
We can view these shows problem free other ways, whether its an R1 release or via 'other' methods.

Not in this case though, as Viz' Blu-ray release of Berserk is even more locked than the UK release.

So is it safe to buy the UK release of Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt now?, it's been so long since Manga UK's replacement scheme and their claim that all further printings of the set will be fixed yet I can't find a single copy in stores making me think that's not the case. And buying online isn't safe too because how do I know the online store I buy it from has the fixed version

If you get a bad copy of P&S online, I believe an email to Manga should result in them sending you a fixed version of the second and third discs.

I wasn't going to mention this until the release date, but as someone actually read my review of Persona 4

They've gone and done a Princess Jellyfish. Kaze have put the subtitle translations with the Japanese track, while the signs and captions translations are with the English track, and never the twain shall meet. I've only looked at a Blu-ray check disc, but I have no reason to believe that the DVD will be any different, going by prior precedent. Fortunately you can switch audio on the fly with the pop-up menu, so it's a relatively easy matter to skip back a tad, switch tracks and check what's written on a sign, but you do miss a whole lot of atmospheric stuff this way which isn't necessarily plot specific.

I wasn't going to mention this until the release date, but as someone actually read my review of Persona 4

They've gone and done a Princess Jellyfish. Kaze have put the subtitle translations with the Japanese track, while the signs and captions translations are with the English track, and never the twain shall meet. I've only looked at a Blu-ray check disc, but I have no reason to believe that the DVD will be any different, going by prior precedent. Fortunately you can switch audio on the fly with the pop-up menu, so it's a relatively easy matter to skip back a tad, switch tracks and check what's written on a sign, but you do miss a whole lot of atmospheric stuff this way which isn't necessarily plot specific.

So many subtitle problems recently, and the industry is seriously thinking of more subtitle only releases?

What is so hard about having a signs and a subtitle + signs? It should be the default, when they have meetings to checkup on the progress of a release why are the managers not verifying this has been done? Why are the staff not reminding their bosses they need both? Smacks of pure laziness from all sides.

Shiroi Hane said:
For one thing, they need to pay to get both all subtitle tracks individually BBFC'd.

That'd explain why they sometimes cheap out on not having a signs track, but doesn't quite explain why they'd not ensure that the subtitle track also includes the signs. (afterall they are paying to have that checked, and even if it's done per word a few signs wont add much to the price)

Surely Kaze would have to pay twice, and only twice, whatever they do. (Also, I'm sure I read that sign-only tracks are counted as part of the English language component.)

Either a) English & Japanese w/subs & signs;
or b) English w/signs & Japanese w/subs

I'm going with either laziness or technical issues relating to how many subtitle tracks (including non-English) they have on their discs.

Shiki Part 2

There’s a minor audio buzz, 37:22 into disc 2 on the Japanese audio track.

Also noticed the same thing, lasting a little longer in Volume 4 of Black Cat from MVM 36:19 in the Japanese audio track. It's more of a crackle here than a buzz.

Just like to add that the 'True Story' (The OP to episode 9), has no subs, and as far as I know, there is no translation for it on disc at all. (At least watching the dub.)
Also there are no subs for the status screen which appears halfway through the episodes either, both for the Stat and Rank. (eg. Courage - Heroic, Knowledge - Professor, etc.)

Not sure if this counts but my Macross Plus from 2002 has the disc's Printed wrong the one labeled episodes 1&2 plays 3&4 the movie disc plays 3&4 and 3&4 is the movie not sure if this a common problem or just my set

One of the Mezza DSA discs had the wrong number on (CEX chucked at least one copy out since they thought they had the wrong disc for the box) but that is likewise long OOP. Haven't touched my Macross Plus set in years.

There's an entirely BIGGER blunder on the Macross Plus DVD release I'm aware of... but it's not for young ears!

No Subs whatsoever for songs in Tiger and Bunny (Insert/OP/ED) regardless of audio track.
I was liking this for the physical extras but missing out basic stuff like this? Stay **** Kaze.
I don't know if it makes much difference yet but there is no signs track for some of the episodes too.

I'll be interested to see what Viz's/Siren's release will be like, because they will most likely be getting my money for the rest of this now.

EDIT: Despite saying so on the disc there are NO EXTRAS on the BD

Back