Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

Mangaranga said:
Just Passing Through said:
I wasn't going to mention this until the release date, but as someone actually read my review of Persona 4

They've gone and done a Princess Jellyfish. Kaze have put the subtitle translations with the Japanese track, while the signs and captions translations are with the English track, and never the twain shall meet. I've only looked at a Blu-ray check disc, but I have no reason to believe that the DVD will be any different, going by prior precedent. Fortunately you can switch audio on the fly with the pop-up menu, so it's a relatively easy matter to skip back a tad, switch tracks and check what's written on a sign, but you do miss a whole lot of atmospheric stuff this way which isn't necessarily plot specific.
Just like to add that the 'True Story' (The OP to episode 9), has no subs, and as far as I know, there is no translation for it on disc at all. (At least watching the dub.)
Also there are no subs for the status screen which appears halfway through the episodes either, both for the Stat and Rank. (eg. Courage - Heroic, Knowledge - Professor, etc.)
I can pretty much confirm that the ep9 opening song is missing any form of translation on the subtitled side as well, and if I really want to be anal retentive about defects they decided to use a LPCM audio soundtrack instead of the DTS HD Master Audio track that Sentai use for their BD releases.

Also there's one instance of text overspill on the DVD version of episode 2 at around 21:11 (the size of the subtitle text on the DVD version that it was bound to happen).

LPCM is no big deal. It's just uncompressed digital audio with a constant bitrate. As it's in stereo it's just like you'd get off a CD. The higher the bitrate, the higher the quality of the audio. DTS-HD Stereo is lossless audio, dynamically compressed to take up less space, but offering the same detail and clarity as LPCM. But depending on how it's compressed, and the bitrate of the original audio source, it might actually offer a little more than PCM, as it's a dynamic format and at its higher end is allowed to hit higher bit rates than constant LPCM. Not really a defect, just an annoying choice on the part of the distributor. Far more annoying for me was the Trigun movie release, which Kaze released with lossy DTS-HD HIRES, while Funimation had a lossless Dolby True HD audio

According to CD Japan the Japanese discs have LPCM, so it's Sentai who have been fiddling with things (unless you're talking about the English dub).

Shiroi Hane said:
According to CD Japan the Japanese discs have LPCM, so it's Sentai who have been fiddling with things (unless you're talking about the English dub).
I'm talking about both as every Sentai BD release I have has DTS HD MA tracks.

Persona 4 The Animation - Volume 2

The eyecatches still aren't subbed, some Japanese text isn't subbed, the second ED (Which is Japanese this time unlike the the other OP/EDs which are English) and the inserts are also not subbed. They can't pull this unapproved song translation thing again since Sentai manage to do it fine.
It also appears that sign subs once again do not appear on the Japanese audio subtitle track.

Yet another typical Kaze release.

Also, not so much a fault or Kaze's fault, but no Troy Baker voicing Kanji in episodes 14+ is a defect to me ;)

Welcome to the Space Show is another of the missing a signs only translation track batch from Manga (there are sign translations on the only subtitle track, and I believe that it affects both the DVD and the Blu-ray).

Tiger & Bunny Part 2:
No subtitles for the Songs AGAIN
No extras on the Bluray AGAIN

For god sake Kaze, if Viz can do it then why the hell can't you?
It's not like there's even a lack of space, they've used 20gigs of the BD so there's more than enough free space to include the extras.

Rui said:
Thanks, updating this thread is always sad :(

R

It has a partially complete signs track... with the English dub...
Not so much with the Japanese.

It's usual Kaze practice. Seriously don't expect anything else from them. It's been a year and that haven't listed to any feedback.

It's usual Kaze practice. Seriously don't expect anything else from them. It's been a year and that haven't listed to any feedback.
I don't know who I'm more annoyed with, Kaze for not taking on board any feedback and consistently giving us **** releases or Manga for STILL distributing their ****/not getting on their back about it. I do have to wonder if the level of communication between Kaze and Manga is the same as it is between Kaze and the UK fans. (Nonexistent in case you didn't get it)

The only UK releases I tend to get if any are Kaze releases (Persona/Berserk/T&B), but honestly, if they don't improve at all anytime soon then I'm just going to import EVERYTHING. I don't care if the Box/packaging looks nice, at the end of the day I want the on disc content to be functional and complete.

Mangaranga said:
I don't know who I'm more annoyed with, Kaze for not taking on board any feedback and consistently giving us **** releases or Manga for STILL distributing their ****/not getting on their back about it. I do have to wonder if the level of communication between Kaze and Manga is the same as it is between Kaze and the UK fans. (Nonexistent in case you didn't get it)

The only UK releases I tend to get if any are Kaze releases (Persona/Berserk/T&B), but honestly, if they don't improve at all anytime soon then I'm just going to import EVERYTHING. I don't care if the Box/packaging looks nice, at the end of the day I want the on disc content to be functional and complete.

Perhaps we should address Manga direct to see if they themselves have raised the issue with Kaze, at least we'd get some kind of answer. Somehow they need to be made aware that their slapdash approach is starting to cost them sales.

Despite the issue, i'm assuming it should be fine enough if i'm just planning on watching the dub?

Sounds like a good thing that i'm not too picky with dubs. Then again considering I watched the show originally subbed...

reborn said:
Despite the issue, i'm assuming it should be fine enough if i'm just planning on watching the dub?

Penguindrum's dub is... well it's...

Oh Sentai, Sentai, Sentai! :roll:

Japanese dub - "SEIZON SENRYAKUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!"

English dub - "Survival Tactic..."

Yeah, it's a pretty weak dub.

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but I'm wondering if this is a problem with the discs or if it's just my player. I'm watching Canaan (MVM) right now and have noticed that the picture becomes scrambled (if thats the right word) maybe two or three times each episode. It only lasts a few frames at a time but is noticable when watching. If I rewind and watch the same bit again it will happen at the exact same time every time. It also happened on the Welcome to the NHK (MVM) dvd last year, but to a lesser extent. I've watched loads of other dvds on this dvd player and never encountered this problem outside of NHK and Canaan.
I tried taking a screencapture on my laptop but this problem does not arise there, so I just paused the dvd in the player and took a picture of the screen with my phone. I guess the fact that the dvd works fine on my laptop and PS3 suggests the problem is specific to the dvd player, maybe it doesn't like the way the discs are encoded or something, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. The pic is from Canaan, disc 2, episode 8, 3m51s.

Reevothemusefan said:
reborn said:

Penguindrum's dub is... well it's...

Oh Sentai, Sentai, Sentai! :roll:

Japanese dub - "SEIZON SENRYAKUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!"

English dub - "Survival Tactic..."

Yeah, it's a pretty weak dub.

Well considering they took half the title out, they might as well have as much effort to match.
But good lord that's bad, it's time's like those they should leave such lines in Japanese. These actors surely can do it, they just need a decent ADR director.

elixEideJ said:
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but I'm wondering if this is a problem with the discs or if it's just my player. I'm watching Canaan (MVM) right now and have noticed that the picture becomes scrambled (if thats the right word) maybe two or three times each episode. It only lasts a few frames at a time but is noticable when watching. If I rewind and watch the same bit again it will happen at the exact same time every time. It also happened on the Welcome to the NHK (MVM) dvd last year, but to a lesser extent. I've watched loads of other dvds on this dvd player and never encountered this problem outside of NHK and Canaan.
I tried taking a screencapture on my laptop but this problem does not arise there, so I just paused the dvd in the player and took a picture of the screen with my phone. I guess the fact that the dvd works fine on my laptop and PS3 suggests the problem is specific to the dvd player, maybe it doesn't like the way the discs are encoded or something, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. The pic is from Canaan, disc 2, episode 8, 3m51s.

I'd suspect it's a flaw in the disc, I have one like that in my Aus Higurashi Set. I did once see it on a disc that needed cleaning.

In my experience DvD drives in PCs and Laptops are of a better quality and less prone to minor disc flaws, some discs that gave my DvD player real trouble play flawlessly on my PC. A disc I had a while back with a visable impact mark refused to play 3 chapters on my DvD but only 1 chapter on my PC.

The Mayo Chiki Series Collection is missing all its English ending credits (I'm only up to episode 5 at the moment, but I'd expect the remainder to have the same problem), and the subtitle timing is all over the place (sometimes it'll be correct and there are other times where the subtitles appear a second or so after the person starts speaking, but if there are multiple people talking at the same time then it becomes a disorganised mess).

Loups=Garous is also missing its English ending credits (sentai always puts an English credit roll at the end of each episode, and I'd suspect that they do the same for feature films).

Back