Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

fabricatedlunatic said:
demonix said:
Sentai changed to three disc sets last year, but the reason for doing it is beyond me (unless they wanted to go back to the older four or five episodes per disc standard).
The fewer episodes per disc, the higher the video bitrate. In theory anyway. I can't think of any other reason for making the change.

That's what I'd hope aswell because there's no reason to use 3 when 2 would do, so it must be space requirements for either Audio or the Video itself.

animefreak17 said:
I know this is for discs but I have bleach boxset 10 and it says on the back what it says on boxset 9 which is a total F*** up
Since you know this thread is for defective discs why not take it up somewhere more relevant like the Manga feedback thread or even the cover art thread?

Shiroi Hane said:
animefreak17 said:
I know this is for discs but I have bleach boxset 10 and it says on the back what it says on boxset 9 which is a total F*** up
Since you know this thread is for defective discs why not take it up somewhere more relevant like the Manga feedback thread or even the cover art thread?
good point

Just Passing Through said:
Season 2 Part 1 of K-On!!, episode 11, the Japanese audio is a little distorted and muffled.
This issue seems to have originated with the Sentai release last year. This review of the first Blu-ray set mentions it. I'm totally not surprised it hasn't been fixed but disappointed in the lack of quality control from various parties nonetheless.

It's good that the Kids On The Slope glitch was sorted out and MVM got the good batch (instead of Sentai's broken discs or something), but a shame that it only happened because people kicked up a big fuss and trolled Sentai into sorting it out. So many series got terrible releases before KotS but slipped under the radar :s

I hope Sentai's period of duff audio and bad video is over. And I hope the UK/Australian companies are being stern when they receive stock with known pre-existing glitches from now on - their word carries more weight than individual fans'. It's not like this is the first time in recent memory that Manga UK has inherited a bad audio track from the US for a high profile series...

R

This is possibly my player but the Bluray of Summer Wars has pixelization issues at specific, and repeatable, places. Most notably during the immediate aftermath of the game of Koi-Koi.

Random said:
This is possibly my player but the Bluray of Summer Wars has pixelization issues at specific, and repeatable, places. Most notably during the immediate aftermath of the game of Koi-Koi.
I haven't noticed any pixelization at that point (or at any point on the blu-ray), so it would have to be to do with your player.

demonix said:
Random said:
I haven't noticed any pixelization at that point (or at any point on the blu-ray), so it would have to be to do with your player.
Or just a faulty disc. You've checked it's not just dust/fingerprints/scratches?

Yep. Checked that and gave it a gentle polish with a glasses cleaning cloth.

It will be my player as I don't remember there being issues the first time I watched it so I may ask someone with a Bluray player to see if it's ok for them.

Black Rock Shooter. The pre-opening credit sequence for episodes 1 and 8 have the subtitles slightly out of sync, ahead of the dialogue.
BRS is Siren Visual isn't it?
This seems to be an issue with their releases.

Bleach set 10 has a few issues with subtitles. I recall two incidents of missing subtitles, nothing major was missed but you could tell they weren't there, also the spelling of some of the subs is incorrect, as well as grammar, yet again, nothing huge but noticeable.

This is going back to the issue I raised with Tiger and Bunny not having Subtitles for the OP/ED on Kaze's Discs.

I bought Viz Media's sets, and they don't have a signs/songs sub stream - so no subs for songs by default, however they do have subtitles for the OP/ED if you switch on Eng Subs.
Considering Kaze have literally just slapped the same subtitles of their release, I fail to see how the OP/ED/Insert translations have been lost in the process.

The episodes on Viz's discs are also better quality than Kaze's, being just over 2 gigs larger per episode - ~5.12gb > 2.9/3gb.

Mangaranga said:
Considering Kaze have literally just slapped the same subtitles of their release, I fail to see how the OP/ED/Insert translations have been lost in the process.
They aren't on the UK release at all (I've already gone through using the Japanese audio option), so kaze haven't literally slapped the subtitles from the US release onto their release.

Lawrence said:
Because file size is a good indication of quality right? Not the compression algorithm used.
Put it this way, I didn't notice any banding or anything whilst watching the second half of the series on Viz's sets, whilst there are times where it's really noticeable on Khazi's sets.

Jeez! Sounds like they used BD 25s across the board. I can get putting three or four episodes on a single layer Blu-ray, but six! Un-Go's going to be the whole series on one BD disc, isn't it? It's a shame that Siren hasn't released it in HD, as I can only spin Region B.

Jeez! Sounds like they used BD 25s across the board. I can get putting three or four episodes on a single layer Blu-ray, but six!
Correct, for comparison.

Khazi (I think I'll keep this nickname)
Disc 1 - 21.4gb (Episodes 1-7)
Disc 2 - 19.6gb (Episodes 8-13)

Viz
Disc 1 - 37.2gb (Episodes 1-7)
Disc 2 - 31.8gb (Episodes 8-13 + Extra) - Episodes are slightly smaller on this disc, but still bigger than Khazi's.

Un-Go's going to be the whole series on one BD disc, isn't it?
Indeed.

Consider this though, if Khazi like compressing episodes so that they are only 2/3 gigs each, that would explain why they are only using a single BD for Un-Go.
Sentai used two BD-50s, with Disc 1 being 34.7gb (Episodes 1-8 @ 4.24gb per episode) and Disc 2 being 36gb (Episodes 9-11 + double length OVA + Extras).

Considering Khazi's set will probably be either extraless/DVD only extras, I think it's safe to assume they will be using around 30 gigs per BD. (Probably something like 38gb going by Code Geass S1 Disc 1)

Lawrence said:
Because file size is a good indication of quality right? Not the compression algorithm used.

Mangaranga has already covered his view on the 2 discs he's watched but in a more general sense companies don't spend more money than they need to.

Your obviously taking the angle that maybe they were lazy with the compression and thus were forced to use BD50's, but surely it's cheaper to spend a little time doing a decent compression than to shell out for larger discs across the sets?

Waiting in the summer has no English credit roll, subtitle timing issues (this starts from the beginning of episode one) and no translation of the opening and ending songs (this I think needs to be confirmed with the US release first).

Back