Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

It can still be considered a defect even if does exist in the US copy also; after all, outside of Kaze stuff the majority of errors on our discs originate either in the US or Australia.

It's useful to know though, so customers can pick the best version if the fault was introduced during the PAL transition (for example). Most faults seem to be added by the Australians lately :s

R

ilmaestro said:
I'd have thought song translations come under licensing issues rather than disc defects.
Not if a version in one country has then and another doesn't (besides, I doubt anybody believes the licensing garbage khazi spits out since if one distributor managed it then it should be the same for the rest).

I don't see how the lack of a song translation is a defect, unless the song is directly affecting the story within an episode. If the OP and ED don't have a sub track then sure, it"s not an ideal situation, but it doesn't mean there"s a problem with the release.

I hope this trend of referring to Kaze as "Khazi" isn't going to last long, it strikes me as awfully childish.

VoxPhantom said:
I don't see how the lack of a song translation is a defect, unless the song is directly affecting the story within an episode. If the OP and ED don't have a sub track then sure, it"s not an ideal situation, but it doesn't mean there"s a problem with the release.

I hope this trend of referring to Kaze as "Khazi" isn't going to last long, it strikes me as awfully childish.

Lack of Opening/Ending Song translations is either a defect if they are using someone else's version and they left it off or just plain laziness to not have included a translation otherwise.

We shouldn't be encouraging either scenario and we shouldn't just keep quiet about the issue either.

But "defect" implies something not working as it should. Just complaining about things that "could be better" seems like a whole other thread (or, often, most threads).

ilmaestro said:
But "defect" implies something not working as it should.
But a defect can also refer to something that is in the original material (that being the US release for most of these reports) which is missing in our release.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Just Passing Through said:
Season 2 Part 1 of K-On!!, episode 11, the Japanese audio is a little distorted and muffled.
This issue seems to have originated with the Sentai release last year. This review of the first Blu-ray set mentions it. I'm totally not surprised it hasn't been fixed but disappointed in the lack of quality control from various parties nonetheless.
I think that only the US blu-ray was affected (as far as I know since nobody ever reported that fault on the DVD release), so it might be that the Australian distributor used the BD audio for the DVD.

And thinking about K-On!! part 1 and the recent absence of the English language credit roll at the end of each episode, can anyone confirm if the credit roll is present.

New link seems to be here. There's no replacement scheme for UN-GO (as usual for BDs in this country) so people who can't play it are being offered a swap for another, less glitched series.

R

A little update on the waiting in the summer issues.

The subtitle timing problem only seems to affect episode at the moment (I've only gotten to episode three and I might have to go over episodes two and three again to make absolutely sure), and (I forgot to mention this in my original report) there's no difference in subtitle colour when two people are talking.

Bakuman Season 1 has some well dodgy subtitles.

They're apparently translated directly from the French subtitles on the Kaze France release, and haven't been proof read or corrected. Bad English abounds to the degree of a defect.

Some examples here.

Read your review and couldn't believe what I was reading. It's like Kaze are undertaking some sort of social experiment to see how bad their releases need to be before people stop buying them.

I wonder if that's the reason for the delay? I noticed someone asking Manga on Twitter whether the subtitles on the review discs were final, and they were instructed to send a "DM" (assuming this is a private message) by Jerome.

Whoa, that's terrible. Why are so many sub-only releases also on the list for having dodgy scripts? There's half as much quality control needed!

I'm amazed the BBFC will even rate content when the translation is so difficult to understand.

R

fabricatedlunatic said:
Read your review and couldn't believe what I was reading. It's like Kaze are undertaking some sort of social experiment to see how bad their releases need to be before people stop buying them.

I wonder if that's the reason for the delay? I noticed someone asking Manga on Twitter whether the subtitles on the review discs were final, and they were instructed to send a "DM" (assuming this is a private message) by Jerome.

The delay was because of shipping issues, it would take far longer than four weeks to get the show re-translated, and wholly reauthored. Besides, some people got the discs early through ordering from Sainsburys. It's the same kind of delay that has pushed Un-go back and Manga have explicitly stated there's no fix for the Blu-ray incompatibility problem even with that delay.

Just Passing Through said:
Bakuman Season 1 has some well dodgy subtitles.

They're apparently translated directly from the French subtitles on the Kaze France release, and haven't been proof read or corrected. Bad English abounds to the degree of a defect.

Some examples here.
That's Mazinger Z bootleg level quality right there.

klqz.jpg

Back