Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

animefreak17 said:
I got it from hmv back when it first came out but I brought it from the store back when I was still a store goer

I'd check it to make sure if I were you and then send MVM an e-mail. At the moment I think they'd be happy to have something non-depressing to work on and they're the kind of company which will help you out.

R

Issue with Clannad subtitles:
darkstorm said:
If you plan on watching the series in Japanese, I must warn you about the subtitles; whilst perfectly readable, they unfortunately haven’t been programmed to cope with more than one line of dialogue or on-screen text. For example: one character is talking but there’s a sign in kanji on screen as well, instead of most DVD’s having the sign translation on a different line or colour whilst the speech is being translated underneath, Clannad’s subtitles instead will have one translated then the other – it won’t have them separate. This can create the situation where one line will literally be up for a mere second before it suddenly cuts to the next line.
Linky

Xam'd: Lost Memories: Complete Collection had an issue with it's menus not displaying on Disc 1 if I recall. I believe They did recall the effected stock and anyone who had faulty disks could send them back for a replacement, so that's all sorted :)

I think the original Disk 1's on the First Part DVD & Blu-Ray release were fine in that aspect.

VoxPhantom said:
Issue with Clannad subtitles:
darkstorm said:
If you plan on watching the series in Japanese, I must warn you about the subtitles; whilst perfectly readable, they unfortunately haven’t been programmed to cope with more than one line of dialogue or on-screen text. For example: one character is talking but there’s a sign in kanji on screen as well, instead of most DVD’s having the sign translation on a different line or colour whilst the speech is being translated underneath, Clannad’s subtitles instead will have one translated then the other – it won’t have them separate. This can create the situation where one line will literally be up for a mere second before it suddenly cuts to the next line.
Linky

I think that's true of most manga stuff, Ouran does the exact same thing.

I didn't notice with Ouran, possibly because I was too busy crying at how bad the picture looked stretched the way it was :/

List updated :)

R

There are a couple of missing lines of subtitles during the final scene in Gunbuster 2. In English, at least; the French subs are there, for all the good that does me.

fabricatedlunatic said:
There are a couple of missing lines of subtitles during the final scene in Gunbuster 2. In English, at least; the French subs are there, for all the good that does me.

Thanks, I'd forgotten that one.

The number of subtitle/timing/sync issues in the list already really make me wish that we could have NTSC discs with the US translation dumped on top, which wouldn't require any additional conversion work and adjusted timing >_<

R

Got some more...

Manga dubtitled discs...

Naruto Season 2
Otogi Zoshi Volumes 4,5,6
Noein
Tokko
Tekken Blood Vengeance

Kaze

Black Lagoon Blu-ray

Audio dropout for a few seconds at the start of each episode on Panasonic BTT 230 Blu Ray Player (Player incompatibility issue)

MVM

Kiddy Grade

The episodes have branched credit sequences, depending on which language you choose. Episode six has only half a Japanese opening credit sequence. The original release had the wrong episode select screen on volume 4, that was corrected for the recent collection.

Revelation

Spiral Volume 2 is dubtitled

MVM

Tower of Druaga

Aegis of Uruk lacks a signs only track, rectified for Sword of Uruk. One line of scrambled subs in episode 6 of Aegis.

Gunslinger Girl

player incomaptibility (multi-angle credit sequences cause freezing on my Panasonic BTT 230 Blu-ray player) fine on my Sony DVD player.

Manga

Angel Beats Blu-ray

Occasional screen caption translation on screen for one frame only in Japanese subtitle stream, fine is signs only track.

Also player incompatibility (Panasonic BTT 230) Pop Up Menus don't work during episodes 1, 2, and 10

Thanks Just Passing Through. Do you happen to know whether the Kiddy Grade branching problem was also fixed in the new release, or was it just the menu (it sounds as though it was but I want to believe!)?

Is the Angel Beats issue the same as the Clannad one, i.e. they flick away when another line is supposed to appear instead of persisting?

R

The branching problem with KG wasn't fixed, and the Angel Beats problem is the same as the Clannad one, except that it only happens a couple of times, not with every caption.

EDIT: Ought to clarify on Berserk, it was first released in mono by Media Blasters, and that's the only version that's been released in the UK by MVM. Media Blasters subsequently released a version with corrected audio, but that's never come out here.

Ouran High School Host Club Part 2 (and part 1 I guess) Manga's release has no signs only track in a show full of screen text gags.

and the Japanese soundtrack drops out for a smidge 2.05:15 into disc 2.

Thanks again! I think Ouran is winning the prize so far for the worst UK anime release ever on a technical level (somehow trumping the production disasters that befell the various versions of GitS by virtue of the problems affecting pretty much every aspect of the release at once).

R

Rui said:
Thanks again! I think Ouran is winning the prize so far for the worst UK anime release ever on a technical level (somehow trumping the production disasters that befell the various versions of GitS by virtue of the problems affecting pretty much every aspect of the release at once).

R

I remember when I got the review discs, Manga were running behind, trying to dot the t's and cross the i's on their Funimation deal, and instead of sending check discs, they sent the Region 1 retail releases of Ouran, Negima OVA and Jyu-oh-sei. Being a diligent reviewer, I asked them if the UK release would be the same, and they assured me that other than the Funimation trailers it would.

Then I got the part 2 UK check discs... Next week I was ordering the Funimation release of Part 2.

Actually, you can go back through my old reviews for Manga discs and see where I've written "Manga are aware of the problem, and it should be corrected for the retail release" It never was.

The only time that it did happen was for the release of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig Part 1, which was dubtitled on the check discs, but subbed on the retail after I warned them about it. I think it was before Jerome became Marketing Manager there.

Anyway I don't write things like that anymore in my reviews. And unless it's a real pooch screw, I've stopped telling Manga directly. I just tell the PR company and let them deal with it.

GolGotha said:
3rd disc in the Urusei Yatsura OVA boxset was faulty for me
Will edit this in detail tomorrow

I reviewed this... Let's see...

I did notice some compression artefacts, especially on the single layer discs, but it didn't detract from the overall experience, except for the worst culprit, episode 6, which even suffered from big chunky pixellation in one scene. Worse pixellation popped up again in episodes 10 and 11, but this was an error in the transfer rather than problems with compression.

the straightforward DD 2.0 track has no flaws, until you get to episodes 10 & 11. Episode 10 suffers from a brief dropout in the end credits, but there is significant distortion for about three minutes of episode 11.

Is this what you mean?

The Blu-ray release of Origin: Spirits of the Past, the English dub starts to drift out of sync about half way through the film. Also, I'm not sure if this is a fault or just an odd design choice but there's no captions only track, which makes the onscreen text during the opening sequence pretty much pointless if you're watching the English dub.

I have some of these releases and don't think I recall any of these problems ^^;

If we're including no sign subs as a defect there are a LOT from Manga from the one period, I think after they changed hands - I seem to recall someone contacting them and being told it was intentional (probably to reduce BBFC fees) - and as recently as Karas at least (this stood out as there was on-screen text indicating locations and such that wasn't subtitled at all, even when watching in Japanese).

There's also ADV's Voices From a Distant Star which had a lot of mobile phone text integral to the story which you couldn't read if you were watching the dub without turning full subtitles on.

Pretty much all the Buena Vista Ghibli releases had dubtitles. The most egregious being Neil Gaiman's script for Mononoke.

Thanks. I don't notice a lot of problems myself, but some I definitely remember being discussed passionately at one time or another.

I don't watch dubs (and can read the signs) so I'm never sure how severe missing sign subs for an individual show are to someone watching in that way, but if I use the rule of assuming the average UK viewer understands no Japanese and most likely has a specific preference for one soundtrack or the other, I think it's reasonable to list all releases where on-screen text isn't translated for dub viewers somewhere as defective. Perhaps if the list gets much longer I'll colour code whether the defect affects people watching the dub, the original soundtrack, or both ^^;

Therefore I'll be adding every series where a missing sign subtitle track is explicitly mentioned to the list, on the assumption that if someone noticed the signs track was missing then they probably wanted to see it there. If it turns out that the series doesn't actually need one due to there being no on-screen text to translate, please do point it out, and if you can recall any other specific titles with the flaw they can be added.

R

Rui said:
As mentioned in the linked thread it also doesn't resume on a PS3, which is exacerbated by the fact that if you play a single episode, it only plays that episode so if you stop halfway through you have to manually start all the remaining episodes or choose Play All and forward through the first ones.
The menus on the second disc are a mess - not only are there no sub-menus so everything is crammed on one page, it is crammed into the bottom third of the screen and you're left to decode cryptic options like "|OP OVSTENG//OVSTJP|".
The OVAs and promo video have the credits translated as subtitles (the only translated credits on the disc) but which overlap the on-screen credits in the same colour making them hard to read.
The "4 cases manga" (narrated 4-coma) have really quiet audio and more importantly, the third one has the audio from the 2nd.
The video labelled "clip" also has reduced volume and there are no subtitles - while it is a music video, there is untranslated on-screen text.
The second trailer is subtitled in French.

Back