Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
As mentioned in the linked thread it also doesn't resume on a PS3, which is exacerbated by the fact that if you play a single episode, it only plays that episode so if you stop halfway through you have to manually start all the remaining episodes or choose Play All and forward through the first ones.
The menus on the second disc are a mess - not only are there no sub-menus so everything is crammed on one page, it is crammed into the bottom third of the screen and you're left to decode cryptic options like "|OP OVSTENG//OVSTJP|".
The OVAs and promo video have the credits translated as subtitles (the only translated credits on the disc) but which overlap the on-screen credits in the same colour making them hard to read.
The "4 cases manga" (narrated 4-coma) have really quiet audio and more importantly, the third one has the audio from the 2nd.
The video labelled "clip" also has reduced volume and there are no subtitles - while it is a music video, there is untranslated on-screen text.
The second trailer is subtitled in French.

Kaze quality right there. I bought Samurai Girls but didn't watch any of it due to how bad the release was.
I do have to wonder if they actually QC'd the discs before going into full production.

Rui said:
I recently finally picked up the third volume, and since I think I never finished watching the second (having seen it a couple of time on CR) decided to pick up from episode 10 (disk 3, in volume 2). As noted in the linked review, there's something up with the audio. Headphones confirm it is in stereo but I think there's a phase issue since through speakers it sounds "off".

Shiroi Hane said:
I recently finally picked up the third volume, and since I think I never finished watching the second (having seen it a couple of time on CR) decided to pick up from episode 10 (disk 4, in volume 2). As noted in the linked review, there's something up with the audio. Headphones confirm it is in stereo but I think there's a phase issue since through speakers it sounds "off".

Thanks; is it the whole disc (the review mentioned general overly compressed audio) or is there a burst of particular weird sound? The reason I ask is that this reminded me that The Tatami Galaxy and House Of Five Leaves both seemed to have distorted audio for short periods (in one OP for the former and an ED for the latter IIRC). I assume something weird happened during the PAL conversion process, so I'm not sure if that's a separate type of bug or something that might be related.

Added it to the list.

R

(it was disc 3, not 4 - corrected my earlier post)

It seemed to be the whole disc. It was most noticeable when there was a lot of background noise. I've heard the same sort of thing in streams before and been informed it was a phase error - one of the stereo channels being inverted. I have no easy way of confirming this without hacking wires apart. I've just started another disc, but I have it turned down since it is 2:30 and if it is the same I've not noticed it thus far.

There's also a couple of lines missing from the start of episode 14 (disc 4) and a line mis-attributed to "SinSong" (which, incidentally, I believe should be "Saika" - I'm sure it was changed in later episodes on CR) who wasn't even in the chatroom at the time. These missing lines are (currently) present and correct on Crunchyroll.

I was under the impression Madoka was sub locked, but it isn't.
It is however missing a Signs/Songs sub track, is that counts as a 'defect'

Is there any on-screen text in Madoka which needs translation? I wouldn't count missing song subs as a defect unless the lyrics are directly relevant to the show (it's an unfortunate choice companies make) but if there's anything a dub viewer wouldn't understand without switching on the full subtitles, no sign sub track is definitely a problem.

(I genuinely can't remember if there's any such text in that show.)

R

Rui said:
Is there any on-screen text in Madoka which needs translation? I wouldn't count missing song subs as a defect unless the lyrics are directly relevant to the show (it's an unfortunate choice companies make) but if there's anything a dub viewer wouldn't understand without switching on the full subtitles, no sign sub track is definitely a problem.

(I genuinely can't remember if there's any such text in that show.)

R

I'm not sure as this is my first time seeing it. In the first episode there have been a few signs so far.
I'm watching it subbed anyway so i can't complain.

If a dub viewer can confirm (i.e. that they didn't understand something or other as the disc lacked a translation for it on their track) that would be great. If any specific instances can be cited where it's caused a problem, I'll compare with the US edition too.

R

The Madman release (or at least the first disc) only has one subtitle track as well, which is odd for them, and I assume Manga are using those same materials. I watched the disc in Japanese and didn't notice any sign subtitles (which doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't any), but obviously dub watchers wanting lyric translations for the OP and ED songs (or any insert songs) will need to switch the subtitles on.

I also found it odd that Madman are credited for authoring the Blu-ray when no conversion was necessary; I expected them to use Aniplex's materials.

Ok, I'll check the US disc when I get a chance and compare the viewing experience.

R

Rui said:
If a dub viewer can confirm (i.e. that they didn't understand something or other as the disc lacked a translation for it on their track) that would be great. If any specific instances can be cited where it's caused a problem, I'll compare with the US edition too.

R

I was aiming to mention this on the day of release (I've gotten yelled at before for saying something about a disc fault prior to the release date), but since it has been mentioned... Disc One only of Madoka Magica lacks a signs only track on Blu-ray. And yes the discs are authored by Madman. They've put their trailers on, and they've only kept the textless opening, repeated across all three discs, whereas the Aniplex discs had a couple of textless closings and Madoka trailers as well.

In practice that means the song lyrics and the episode title isn't presented on the English version on disc 1, although I don't remember too many crucial captions in the episodes that need translating.

Should also add that one subtitle caption 1:04.00 into disc two has a stray word in it.

Just Passing Through said:
(I've gotten yelled at before for saying something about a disc fault prior to the release date.)
Is this because said fault was rectified on the retail disc, or because the distributor didn't want you drawing attention to a fault that wouldn't be rectified on the retail disc? If it's the latter, well, that's a bit sinister.

AniplexUSA's discs had the songs subbed. Although there's nothing really important in the show that I can remember, if there are no subs for the episode 9 special ending, while it isn't essential knowledge for the show, the lyrics really do add to the episode. The special ending is "And I'm Home" which is performed by the voice actresses of Sayaka and Kyoko. The song could be considered a love song, and as both of them die in that episode, it makes it really heart-wrenching. I was reduced to tears the first time I heard it.
Also, Urobuchi has teased that the lyrics of the ending theme "Magia" are pretty close to theme of the third movie.

So nothing essential, but if song lyrics and such are missing from discs beyond disc 1, I'd say it would take away from the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rui said:

fabricatedlunatic said:
The Madman release (or at least the first disc) only has one subtitle track as well, which is odd for them, and I assume Manga are using those same materials. I watched the disc in Japanese and didn't notice any sign subtitles (which doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't any), but obviously dub watchers wanting lyric translations for the OP and ED songs (or any insert songs) will need to switch the subtitles on.

I also found it odd that Madman are credited for authoring the Blu-ray when no conversion was necessary; I expected them to use Aniplex's materials.
It's odder since manga were queried why they were going to the extra expense of three discs for a single release when it would have fit on less, and they said it was because Aniplex's release was over three discs. The only reason I can see for using a Madman master over an Aniplex one is that, having had discs mastered by Madman before, it is easier to get their logos etc added (discs authored by Sentai are direct region clones with Sentai's ads and no mention of Manga at all). Unless there is SD material on the discs that has been converted to PAL, but I don't think that would even be necessary - surely any equipment that can play BDs can also handle NTSC?

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:

fabricatedlunatic said:

It's odder since manga were queried why they were going to the extra expense of three discs for a single release when it would have fit on less, and they said it was because Aniplex's release was over three discs. The only reason I can see for using a Madman master over an Aniplex one is that, having had discs mastered by Madman before, it is easier to get their logos etc added (discs authored by Sentai are direct region clones with Sentai's ads and no mention of Manga at all). Unless there is SD material on the discs that has been converted to PAL, but I don't think that would even be necessary - surely any equipment that can play BDs can also handle NTSC?

It probably saves on paperwork to have contracts with just one company for the masters, DVD and Blu-ray. Otherwise they'd have the Aniplex masters for the BD six months before the AU DVDs, and then the licenses would probably expire at different times as well. They'd waste six months of the license sitting on the BDs waiting for the DVDs to come along... It would be messier.

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:

fabricatedlunatic said:

Having popped disc 1 in my BD player I can say that the menu screen is different, there are trailers for Madman stuff and there appears to be a clean opening when I'm sure it was a Music vdeo for Magica on the US version.

Dragon Ball Season 4...

Episode 121 on disc 3 has the Japanese audio slip out of sync by a lip flap from around 34 minutes into the disc, to the end of the episode. That's about half the episode.

Back