Beez Entertainment Discussion

Ryo Chan said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ryo Chan said:
seeing the Gundam 00 dvd's the last thing i'd want is anything to do with Subs

What was the big problem with them? =/ I had no issues with them at all. Save the lack of sign subs.

u didn't have the openings/endings subs all over the place?

happened on all 3 vols for me

Well yeah, but I didn't really care. I mean I don't read the OP/ED subs anyway (unless I feel like singing along =3). I guess I just don't think that's a deal breaker for me. In the main show it would've bugged me, sure but not in the OP/EDs.

(btw I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'm just saying it didn't bother me, if it bothers you then I can understand that would be frustrating)

BAKA said:
There is a moment towards the end of Sword of the Stranger, (I know there is a moment where it's supposed to be missing early on, because of what the director intended, to convey about the language differences)
From what I remember of it the directors intentions were only in relation to the language the characters spoke whilst around each other, not to whether or not it should be subbed. Can you say which part this affects? This may give me an excuse to rewatch it though!

I tend to back up my DVDs as ISO or VOB files, and I find certain playback software has difficulties extracting the subs at times so I wouldn't be surprised to find it happens between different DVD players as well.

Will Unicorn's forthcoming UK-available blu-ray be region free? I assume so as it would seem like a waste of time to lock them and redo them for Europe, but just making sure I'm holding off importing for a reason!

R

Rui said:
Will Unicorn's forthcoming UK-available blu-ray be region free? I assume so as it would seem like a waste of time to lock them and redo them for Europe, but just making sure I'm holding off importing for a reason!

R

Yes! And it'll be on sale at London Expo for certain as well!

- Andrew

Titan said:
The Beez Entertainment blog now has the cover arts for Code Geass R2 set 1 and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Anime Legends set.

Sweet, though the CG looks worrying like a plastic brick. I like plastic bricks, but I'd rather it matched CG season 1.. =S Fortunately the text seems to indicate this is the case.

Also I posted the images in the upcoming dvd art thread, I hope that's ok, I credited you for linking to the blog here.

New here and first post! My query is which version of Episode 50 is being included on the AL Gundam Seed Destiny Part 2 release? I know it'll be the same as the Volume 10 DVD release, but I can't see to find out what version was included - Final, or Final Plus? Cheers!

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Titan said:
The Beez Entertainment blog now has the cover arts for Code Geass R2 set 1 and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Anime Legends set.

Sweet, though the CG looks worrying like a plastic brick. I like plastic bricks, but I'd rather it matched CG season 1.. =S Fortunately the text seems to indicate this is the case.

AFAIK the packaging for Code Geass R2 will be the same as the packaging used with season 1.

Also I posted the images in the upcoming dvd art thread, I hope that's ok, I credited you for linking to the blog here.

It's fine. :)

Rob F1UK said:
New here and first post! My query is which version of Episode 50 is being included on the AL Gundam Seed Destiny Part 2 release? I know it'll be the same as the Volume 10 DVD release, but I can't see to find out what version was included - Final, or Final Plus? Cheers!

Firstly hey! (I am also pretty new here), secondly good to see another Gundam fan, thirdly purely my own hunch but I'd guess it will be the standard ending without all the added changes found in Final Plus... though I have no proof to back this up.

Rob F1UK said:
*Waves Back*

Still no concrete info on the episode 50 version fo GS:D? Hopefully someone will receive and confirm this soon! Cheers! :)

The previous release used the original version. I would be amazed if the Anime Legends release was different. AFAIK Final Plus hasn't been released over here, although it is out in R1.

Quick question: Why are there so many Gundam 'tards around these parts? The OVAs aside, Gundam isn't THAT good. Childish stories are childish.

By the way, it's safe for you to announce the Planetes and Wing AL sets now, Mr. Beez. I've sold my sets, so it's all cool. Don't keep those in need waiting on my account!

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
Quick question: Why are there so many Gundam 'tards around these parts? The OVAs aside, Gundam isn't THAT good. Childish stories are childish.

Horses for courses. Some people like Naruto, some people like Gundam.

Serious answer? I was a huge Trekkie in my childhood and the same vaguely naval feel and focus on human error/tragic misunderstandings resonates with me. I am strongly against conflict in the real world, and Gundam's endlessly retold story of the futility and sadness of war never fails to hit the spot no matter which trappings it dons each time. The political side also interests me, even when it's treated a little heavy handedly.

Oh, and space battles between huge robots with beam weapons are cool.

R

That's 'cause Naruto doesn't have pretty, white/blue/red robots being piloted by teenage idiots. Don't the Gundam army people believe in more stealthy paint jobs?

/ignores the fact Code Geass is his #3 due to the story of the FIRST being quite good

/also ignores the fact Naruto is an orange ninja

What irritates me about the main Gundam, TV series entries is how every one seems to start the same way: a new Gundam model has been made, people want to steal it and a brat must pilot it; crying a lot over killing people. Yawn. When I watched the Gundam movie trilogy, I was surprised by how much SEED copied from the original Gundam - the two being practically identical.

I like the OVAs due to them not using the same, dull formula, and some actually coming across like they weren't aimed at tweens.

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes > Gundam, btw.

Seed was pretty much a tribute to the original Gundam series though. Whilst the whole "kid somehow gets hold of a giant robot and must save the universe" schtick is old hat now, it wasn't once, so I'll forgive that of the main series. I enjoyed Seed for what it was but wanted to punch my TV several times during Destiny...

For me Destiny is probably the Gundam equivalent of the dodgiest Naruto filler arcs.

Quite a few of the shows mix it up a fair bit though. 00 really caught my interest with its aggressive pace and different approach to the same, very 'Gundam' style of core show. G Gundam, however wacky, is another of the spin off shows that resists most of the tropes of the original and strives to be different for better or worse. Though that one isn't going to score any points if you're looking for something terrifically mature.

I'd be all over LoGH if it receives a US/Oz release. Or if it receives an Asian one at a price I can afford without sacrificing all other anime purchasing for a while on something I can't even watch with other people. One day, I'm sure it will be mine.

R

Speaking as a 33 year old 'Gundam-tard' I'd like to chip in with the simple testimony that... uh... Gundam is FUN. (Mostly.)

As Rui says - big space battles with giant robots are indeed cool. Especially when the shows kick into high gear and things REALLY pick up in pace.

And I really don't think the shows tell 'childish stories'. There's a certain weight and maturity to some of those shows that I find makes them compelling. That criticism certainly doesn't fit something like Gundam 00. I wouldn't say they're any more heavy handed in that respect than some supposedly more cerebral anime relies on a complete suspension of disbelief if you want to accept the plot developments.

For me, it's the anti-war message that comes through time and time again, the characters, the big robots, the development of the storylines, the big robots, the frequently stellar animation, the big robots, big robots, and yes, the big robots.

Back