Beez Entertainment Discussion

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
That's 'cause Naruto doesn't have pretty, white/blue/red robots being piloted by teenage idiots. Don't the Gundam army people believe in more stealthy paint jobs?

/ignores the fact Code Geass is his #3 due to the story of the FIRST being quite good

/also ignores the fact Naruto is an orange ninja

What irritates me about the main Gundam, TV series entries is how every one seems to start the same way: a new Gundam model has been made, people want to steal it and a brat must pilot it; crying a lot over killing people. Yawn. When I watched the Gundam movie trilogy, I was surprised by how much SEED copied from the original Gundam - the two being practically identical.

I like the OVAs due to them not using the same, dull formula, and some actually coming across like they weren't aimed at tweens.

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes > Gundam, btw.

You should try gundam 00 Aion, Setsuna's pretty much a robot himself and doesn't give much of a crap about killing people (in war anyways) plus one of the pilots is a schizo psycho.

HdE said:
Speaking as a 33 year old 'Gundam-tard' I'd like to chip in with the simple testimony that... uh... Gundam is FUN. (Mostly.)

As Rui says - big space battles with giant robots are indeed cool. Especially when the shows kick into high gear and things REALLY pick up in pace.

And I really don't think the shows tell 'childish stories'. There's a certain weight and maturity to some of those shows that I find makes them compelling. That criticism certainly doesn't fit something like Gundam 00. I wouldn't say they're any more heavy handed in that respect than some supposedly more cerebral anime relies on a complete suspension of disbelief if you want to accept the plot developments.

For me, it's the anti-war message that comes through time and time again, the characters, the big robots, the development of the storylines, the big robots, the frequently stellar animation, the big robots, big robots, and yes, the big robots.

Pretty much the same here, although I've so far only seen SEED, SEED Destiny, 00 (S1 and S2) and about a third of Wing. I tend to enjoy mecha shows, so Gundam was just something I finally got "around" to watching last year. :)

Geez, there is nothing wrong with Gundam no matter what age you are. You can not like it because of story or characters you don't like, but saying its for kids or "tweens" as a reason not to like it is just plain stupid. Especially since it sounds like you like Naruto, which is a Shonen series!

Anyway, I like the Gundam meta-series for the most part, I find the UC timeline is great to follow (apart from Victory) and then some of the AC have a completely different feel that can either appeal or not, depending on your taste (like G Gundam...)

So I guess what it comes down to is a difference in taste, but I'm not so shallow minded that I'd put "tard" on the end of a series I don't like in order to try and upset its fans...

GS: D... equivalent to the Tony the Tiger bit from Naruto? Grrrrrrrrrrrreat. My GS: D 2 AL set was sent yesterday. I don't even know why I ordered it, considering I'll probably never get around to re-watching SEED in order to start it. 50 episode series are a bitch to survive to the end of now that I'm no longer the immature boy I once was, before I matured.

I'll confess to knowing sod all about 0.0 besides the fact it's new and, like all new anime that are mainstream and look purdy, has a high rating. I don't trust high ratings because most people rate everything highly; most people being only slightly more advanced than monkeys. I did read that it's execution has lead people to call it childish, but I know no more than that.

For some reason, I own two-thirds of 0.0, so I'll more than likely judge it for myself. Eventually.

LotGH has everything the likes of SEED lacks, yet is a bitch to get through because of it. Lots of talking, political intrigue, character development and whatnot, and no white/blue/red robot. If not for it only being available to download in lowish quality, I'd have finished it by now.

Something I disliked about SEED was the lazy, repeated animation. Towards the end, it was a complete joke, with all of the battle animations being taken from previous battles. That sort of thing kind of takes away from intense/silly robot battles in space.

The themes of war, death and whatnot are mature, but the way SEED touched upon those themes was not mature. It's all in the execution. Everything was only explored on the surface level, presumably out of fear of pushing away the kiddies. An 'adult' Gundam wouldn't focus on brats battling it out on multi-coloured robots of mass-destruction - that's what it comes down to. I liked 'War in the Pocket' more than what I've seen of the bigger name Gundam entries.

And, like I said, Naruto is deep. You're clearly too immature to understand this.

I'll confess to knowing sod all about 0.0 besides the fact it's new and, like all new anime that are mainstream and look purdy, has a high rating. I don't trust high ratings because most people rate everything highly; most people being only slightly more advanced than monkeys. I did read that it's execution has lead people to call it childish, but I know no more than that.

For some reason, I own two-thirds of 0.0, so I'll more than likely judge it for myself. Eventually.

I disagree it's rated well cos it's new, I don't think the second season was so well received. It's no Code Geass as far as I'm concerned but I did enjoy it a lot and is one of my favourite series

GS: D... equivalent to the Tony the Tiger bit from Naruto? Grrrrrrrrrrrreat. My GS: D 2 AL set was sent yesterday. I don't even know why I ordered it, considering I'll probably never get around to re-watching SEED in order to start it. 50 episode series are a bitch to survive to the end of now that I'm no longer the immature boy I once was, before I matured.

Well, it has much nicer music than the Naruto fillers. But given the parts of Seed you disliked, I think Destiny may not rate too highly for you. I didn't mind it but it was definitely never on the same level as Seed, and even the robot fighting bits were less exciting. And it even somehow managed to weaken some of the minor bits of Seed I particularly liked.

Gundam 00 (the part of it I've seen, anyway) is much stronger and doesn't cling to UC as much for its twists and turns. It's not gritty and mature like some of the harsher seinen series are but it packs a pretty good punch if you let yourself be caught up in its world properly.

R

Something I disliked about SEED was the lazy, repeated animation. Towards the end, it was a complete joke, with all of the battle animations being taken from previous battles. That sort of thing kind of takes away from intense/silly robot battles in space.

The themes of war, death and whatnot are mature, but the way SEED touched upon those themes was not mature. It's all in the execution. Everything was only explored on the surface level, presumably out of fear of pushing away the kiddies. An 'adult' Gundam wouldn't focus on brats battling it out on multi-coloured robots of mass-destruction - that's what it comes down to. I liked 'War in the Pocket' more than what I've seen of the bigger name Gundam entries.

And, like I said, Naruto is deep. You're clearly too immature to understand this.

See, that's perfectly fine criticism. If you'd said stuff like that from the start with using "Gundam-tards" or "Tweens" then I'd have no beef with your post.

Oh and you really need to stop trying to justify your choice in anime. I get that Naruto is deep, I'm sure it is, but that doesn't take away from the fact that its printed in Shonen Jump, its aimed at kids and teens who will then buy merchandise and talk about the latest issue in school. Does that mean you can't like it? Of course not! I've liked several Shonen series, and I rank Death Note, printed in the pages of Jump!, as one of my all time favorite series.

It's like a 20+ year old comic book fan saying that comics are meant for his age group to try and justify his choice of entertainment. Just enjoy it! It's making you sound a lot less mature when you say people are "too immature to understand" that Naruto is deep compared to if you just said "Naruto is deeper than people think, even if it is aimed at kids and young teens."

I do see what you mean about Seed. It's only been 15 episodes or so and I've seen the use of repeated scenes. I've never hated a character as much as I have with Flay.

Durial666 said:
I do see what you mean about Seed. It's only been 15 episodes or so and I've seen the use of repeated scenes.

Yeh. It DOES wear thin after a while. I get the impression budgets were pretty stretched on the Cosmic Era shows.

But to me, oft-repeated stock footage is one of the tropes of anime. I can live with it, coz it's what I saw all the time in the early 1990s.

Durial666 said:
I've never hated a character as much as I have with Flay.

Then you should DEFINITELY keep watching! :twisted:

HdE said:
Durial666 said:
I do see what you mean about Seed. It's only been 15 episodes or so and I've seen the use of repeated scenes.

Yeh. It DOES wear thin after a while. I get the impression budgets were pretty stretched on the Cosmic Era shows.

But to me, oft-repeated stock footage is one of the tropes of anime. I can live with it, coz it's what I saw all the time in the early 1990s.

Durial666 said:
I've never hated a character as much as I have with Flay.

Then you should DEFINITELY keep watching! :twisted:

I found it hilarious when the kids were running away in ep 1 or 2 and they were all 100% in synch running XP

Code Geass R1 V1

I decided that, seeing as getting the Beez version of R2 V1 would be against my principals, I'll just get R1, import R2 V1 and then, providing the Dinosaur Empire don't want to go for a second round, get the second volume of R2 when Beez release it.

At least that's how I rationalised it.

ConanThe3rd said:
Code Geass R1 V1

I decided that, seeing as getting the Beez version of R2 V1 would be against my principals, I'll just get R1, import R2 V1 and then, providing the Dinosaur Empire don't want to go for a second round, get the second volume of R2 when Beez release it.

At least that's how I rationalised it.

I am confused, when you say R1 do you mean as opposed to R2 (the series title) or region 1 as opposed to region 2

ARRGH! I got a problem!

So - I'm watching my Anime Legends Eureka Seven DVDs, and enjoying them a LOT, and suddenly - OHNOES! It appears I have a corrupted disc!

Disc 3 starts freezing and stuttering halfway through episode 13. I checked the disc, and it shows no sign of damage or dirt, so I'm guessing my disc is faulty.

Anyone else had this problem?

How do I go about getting a replacement disc?

Because, y'know, this is a series I already know I'll want to watch again, and this problem is really annoying!

I'm guessing Gundam Unicorn must be really close to finally being available for us. The next issue of NEO magazine (#73) has a feature on it. I imagine if details aren't available before it goes on sale (17th June), they'll be mentioned in the issue. Hopefully!

Also, no issues with my copy of Eureka Seven HdE, so I'd send it back! It's worth trying another DVD player too, to check it's not a player specific problem.

Thanks for that, BAKA!

I was way ahead of you, though. The discs in question won't co-operate on either my second DVD player or my laptop, so they're definitely faulty.

I've taken steps to correct the situation, though. Oh yes!

A shame though, because these problems have blighted an otherwise really enjoyable show.

Back