Beez Entertainment Discussion

Fudce said:
I doubt there'll be a Blu-ray release of Gurren Lagann, especially as there isn't even one in Japan. Really, the only series you should expect to see on Blu-ray are those where they created it with Blu-ray in mind, or popular old series enhanced to work on the format.

If you have a Blu-ray player, just put the DVD in there, the upscaling should make it look pretty High Definition even without the name 'Blu-ray' on the box.
I agree it's not likely that we'll see a Blu-ray release before Japan (that's why I decided to buy the DVD edition rather than hang on like I am with Gundam 00) but I have to say it doesn't upscale all that well. The picture quality is generally pretty good, but Lagann has a lot of fast action scenes where you really notice the compression artifacts on an HDTV.

Right i hate being a critic but i'm afraid i have a few things that need to get off my chest regarding the 00 release than hopefully Andrew can shed some light on and get fixed for the future volumes.

1. Extra's

Silly thing to moan about but why are the extra's of Destiny and Wing opening, but the Seed one is a trailer in either German or French? (not sure what subs they were)

2. Opening/Ending Subtitles

What's with the randomly pasted subtitles on the opening/ending? 1 minute they're at the bottom of the page, next the middle, then the top.

3. Sign Subtitles

There were no subs what so ever when the japanes signs came up (mainly explaining the different area's of the world when they come up) so unless you know Kanji or the AEU come up (only cause it's already english) you have no idea what's going on.

Incidently i've only seen episode 1 so no idea if this issue continues with the later episodes, but the later 2 options really ruined a overwise good release. The subtitle issues are amaturish mistakes that even newbie fansubbers could do better at.

Hope you can pass this on to your Quality controlers at HQ Andrew.

Ryo Chan said:
Right i hate being a critic but i'm afraid i have a few things that need to get off my chest regarding the 00 release than hopefully Andrew can shed some light on and get fixed for the future volumes.

1. Extra's

Silly thing to moan about but why are the extra's of Destiny and Wing opening, but the Seed one is a trailer in either German or French? (not sure what subs they were)

What's with the randomly pasted subtitles on the opening/ending? 1 minute they're at the bottom of the page, next the middle, then the top.

3. Sign Subtitles

There were no subs what so ever when the japanes signs came up (mainly explaining the different area's of the world when they come up) so unless you know Kanji or the AEU come up (only cause it's already english) you have no idea what's going on.

Incidently i've only seen episode 1 so no idea if this issue continues with the later episodes, but the later 2 options really ruined a overwise good release. The subtitle issues are amaturish mistakes that even newbie fansubbers could do better at.

Oh don't get me started on the quality of Beez products.

- Sound out of sync on several episodes.

- Extras missing all sound completely.

- Inconsistant subs on opening / closing credits.

- Not to mention the only signsubs i've seen were on a random episode of Eureka Seven, and even then they only lasted for half of it.

Dont get me wrong, i'm really glad that Beez is continuing to release anime in the UK, and I will keep buying them, I just won't be buying as much as I would have if I had confidence in the product.

I just wish that instead of coming up with fancy packaging and including stuff like crappy stickers/board games/pillowcases etc , they'd instead concentrate on getting the rest of it right.

I've got a quick question about regions on DVD's. Who decides that the DVD's you release have to be region locked? I've seen lots of releases in the UK where there is no region coding at all and these are generally lower end releases (not specifically talking anime here) so I'm assuming it's not a costy procedure to leave releases with no region projection. Is it by request of the Japanese companies?

In theory, if Beez could do region 0 releases of shows that are popular put haven't been released in English speaking countires they could market those DVD's to the entire English speaking world I would have thought.

Sy said:
I've got a quick question about regions on DVD's. Who decides that the DVD's you release have to be region locked? I've seen lots of releases in the UK where there is no region coding at all and these are generally lower end releases (not specifically talking anime here) so I'm assuming it's not a costy procedure to leave releases with no region projection. Is it by request of the Japanese companies?

In theory, if Beez could do region 0 releases of shows that are popular put haven't been released in English speaking countires they could market those DVD's to the entire English speaking world I would have thought.

It's a matter of rights. Beez can't sell their DVDs to the entire english speaking world unless they have the rights to sell their DVDs to the entire english speaking world.

Most of Beez's licences tend to refer to the UK and the rest of Europe - so they encode the DVDs with the UK and Europe's region encoding. It's a pointess point to request region 0 discs anyway, since most DVD players can be converted to region free anyway.

Fudce said:
It's a pointess point to request region 0 discs anyway, since most DVD players can be converted to region free anyway.
True, but many models can only be unlocked using special equipment as opposed to built-in codes.
In an ideal world I wouldn't have to deal with DVD regions, but I suppose imposing physical restrictions on the media itself helps facilitate regionalised censorship a little. At least for the time being we can all use DVD43, which is free and works rather well.

While we're on the subject of region coding though, one positive move from Beez has been the region-free Blu-ray releases which were the same worldwide. That's the kind of internationalist progress I like. If only Funimation (whose name, I'll just take the opportunity to mention, I still hate as much as the phrase "edutainment") weren't locking their discs. Region codes are for market protectionism, nothing more. I would have thought they would run afoul of free trade agreements these days, but perhaps not. I guess we need to start enlarging the free trade zones (ideally until a single one covers the surface of the planet).

It's worth pointing out DVD43 doesn't work with all drives either Zin5ki. I know it didn't with the Matsushita on my old Sony laptop.

ayase said:
If only Funimation weren't locking their discs.
They are? Aww crap. They've just announced Samurai Champloo on BD and that's one of the few TV series I'd re-buy in that format. Looks as though I'll definitely have to buy a region free player.

Sorry of the off topic post...

Fudce said:
It's a matter of rights. Beez can't sell their DVDs to the entire english speaking world unless they have the rights to sell their DVDs to the entire english speaking world.
It seems quite mad really. You would think that it would benefit everyone more if the market was increased.

Yeah, but it's not what benifits everyone, it's what benifits some wierd japanese man in some wierd japanese tower off in some wierd corner of Japan.

If it doesn't get his rocks off, he won't ok it.

He wouldn't ok his mother geting easy to get life saving surgery from the super aids if it doesn't somehow confirm to some very old way of thinking.

The internet scares him and he must fight with red tape.

Seriously though, Ayacon better deliver on Andrews promises of things happening or there's hell to pay.

Sy said:
It seems quite mad really. You would think that it would benefit everyone more if the market was increased.
In an ideal world it would. As well as the fact that venturing into new markets is highly speculative on their part though, I've heard that Bandai is fragmented around the globe such that one Bandai company isn't allowed to 'step on the toes' of another, so to speak. Thus hands are bound and frustration is rife.

Zin5ki said:
Sy said:
In an ideal world it would. As well as the fact that venturing into new markets is highly speculative on their part though, I've heard that Bandai is fragmented around the globe such that one Bandai company isn't allowed to 'step on the toes' of another, so to speak. Thus hands are bound and frustration is rife.

This much isn't true - all components within the NBG who handle certain fields i.e. Audio Visual in our case are parts of what is called a Special Business Unit - and we coordinate actions between one another even if not on a ground level always :). So there's not stepping on toes syndrome really.

The real problem comes in terms of selling a license - but that's a long story I'll save for somewhere else like Ayacon if people want me to share there :).

WRT region coding, Region 0 also connotes piracy often to both the public and retailers annoyingly - so when we do a simultaneous release in the UK with the US + Japan we encode it in Region 2 just because that's the way it is done as standard during production :). We also have run simultaneous releases before on Bluray - which is something of interest.

- Andrew

I've passed on all of the below comments and PM you a bit later about this to discuss :).

Sorry for delay catching up and I'll be answering more of these questions after Ayacon too :).

- Andrew

Tasker said:
Ryo Chan said:

1. Extra's

3. Sign Subtitles

Oh don't get me started on the quality of Beez products.

- Sound out of sync on several episodes.

- Extras missing all sound completely.

- Inconsistant subs on opening / closing credits.

- Not to mention the only signsubs i've seen were on a random episode of Eureka Seven, and even then they only lasted for half of it.

Dont get me wrong, i'm really glad that Beez is continuing to release anime in the UK, and I will keep buying them, I just won't be buying as much as I would have if I had confidence in the product.

I just wish that instead of coming up with fancy packaging and including stuff like crappy stickers/board games/pillowcases etc , they'd instead concentrate on getting the rest of it right.

beez_andrew said:
all components within the NBG who handle certain fields i.e. Audio Visual in our case are parts of what is called a Special Business Unit - and we coordinate actions between one another even if not on a ground level always :). So there's not stepping on toes syndrome really.
Interesting. Though I cannot begin to fathom the means by which this unit operates, does this mean that the legal red tape often affecting streaming and DVD releases (or whatever it actually is which we commonly denote as being 'red tape') is not necessarily related to the structure of the NBG as a whole?

If so, I assume it might have something to do with this license selling issue of which you speak.

Just a quick check(which i expect anyone could answer, but hey). For Gundam 00 Volume 2, is it only available as a standard edition or is there a special edition planned set as well? I expect there isn't but i just want to be 100% sure.

Arbalest said:
Just a quick check(which i expect anyone could answer, but hey). For Gundam 00 Volume 2, is it only available as a standard edition or is there a special edition planned set as well? I expect there isn't but i just want to be 100% sure.

Confirmed, just a regular edition for Volume 2 :).

- Andrew,
Beez Entertainment

Back