Beez Entertainment Discussion

Mantis said:
Andrew, was just wondering if Beez or any other anime companies are taking any steps to combat the 'ebay problem'? There are a lot of dodgy anime DVD sets on there - very cheap, region 0 with a whole series crammed onto 2 discs. Someone from Beez could spend 5 minutes a day reporting a few of them to ebay which would result in either:

a) ebay removing the dodgyDVD sets and reducing piracy of your property
or
b) ebay don't remove the sets and your lawyers get involved. I believe ebay were sued by various fashion companies last month for a huge amount of money.

So a win-win situation for you there!

Hi Mantis!

There is someone over at Bandai Visual who actually tackles that as much as possible each x period of time I believe (or there was last I checked anyway :/). Basically it's a pretty tiring job though as they are also expected to check sites such as YouTube etc for similar content and deal with it too. This means it can take a while for them to get round everything on Ebay and even when they do there is a tendency for people to relist it etc.

Part of the whole thing has to be about educating fans, especially fans new to anime about them as well as the negative effect they have on the industry - as it's a case of someone profiting from a series without any of the money going to those who made it!

I'll keep point (b) in mind though as well in case they're not taken down, I vagely recall skimming an article about it so shall dig it out again and read it properly!

BlackWolf said:
Andrew in america it was recently announced that Gundam 00 was to start airing on the state's version of the Sci-Fi channel, so it's a longshot question but is there any talks or anything going like that over here? I know its been a while since the uk Sci-Fi channel last aired anime but i can't help but ask

At Beez we are constantly evaluating new ways to place anime on TV - most of the UK effort is on my side. Unfortunately I can't really talk about it given the nature of TV business ;_;.

Anime on UK TV is in a very delicate place right now though so some care and attention is needed in order to ensure it returns in a more full form. Watch this space though!

beez_andrew said:
BlackWolf said:
Andrew in america it was recently announced that Gundam 00 was to start airing on the state's version of the Sci-Fi channel, so it's a longshot question but is there any talks or anything going like that over here? I know its been a while since the uk Sci-Fi channel last aired anime but i can't help but ask

At Beez we are constantly evaluating new ways to place anime on TV - most of the UK effort is on my side. Unfortunately I can't really talk about it given the nature of TV business ;_;.

Anime on UK TV is in a very delicate place right now though so some care and attention is needed in order to ensure it returns in a more full form. Watch this space though!

If we could publicize anime (and probably focus on anime central to get their viewing rates up) it should help matters. right??

beez_andrew said:

At the risk of sounding negative

that's exactly what Anime Central said in March just as the "ghostboy in the shellbop" repeats began

and look where we are now

Ryo Chan said:
beez_andrew said:

that's exactly what Anime Central said in March just as the "ghostboy in the shellbop" repeats began

Exc-ept the two things are completely seperate really. There's a difference between refusing to talk because there's trouble and not being able to talk due to it all being NDA until anything is ever sealed ^^;. So the two may sound alike but the underlying reasons are completely different! .

As it should be public knowledge anyway as it went round the relevant companies and co-workers now - the brand manager for the channel has left the company now. Anything beyond that is CSC's duty to tell its fans but I'm sure conclusions can be drawn from that as to Anime Central's immediate future as a channel at least.

Any discussion about the channel outwith that isn't really my place but things didn't go the way they wanted for any number of reasons sadly. It doesn't mean there aren't places anime would fit in nicely on UK TV though in the future :).

Tachi- said:
If we could publicize anime (and probably focus on anime central to get their viewing rates up) it should help matters. right??

That works - although raising anime's profile works well but to do that requires a lot of money and more importantly a lot of waiting really!

beez_andrew said:
Tachi- said:

That works - although raising anime's profile works well but to do that requires a lot of money and more importantly a lot of waiting really!

Hmm i see what your saying, but if we base it out like film industries do....they put posters up in towns of upcoming titles, they show advertisements on different programs. and know that the more pubicity they do the more chance of getting that money back with interest.

beez_andrew said:
BlackWolf said:

Thanks for the answer :) I know that anime on tv has been a touch go issue since Anime Central's Rise then quick Fall and whatever happened to Anime Network. But i'm willing to wait if the job is going to get done right

beez_andrew said:
Ryo Chan said:
beez_andrew said:

Exc-ept the two things are completely seperate really. There's a difference between refusing to talk because there's trouble and not being able to talk due to it all being NDA until anything is ever sealed ^^;. So the two may sound alike but the underlying reasons are completely different! .

As it should be public knowledge anyway as it went round the relevant companies and co-workers now - the brand manager for the channel has left the company now. Anything beyond that is CSC's duty to tell its fans but I'm sure conclusions can be drawn from that as to Anime Central's immediate future as a channel at least.

Any discussion about the channel outwith that isn't really my place but things didn't go the way they wanted for any number of reasons sadly. It doesn't mean there aren't places anime would fit in nicely on UK TV though in the future :).

Actually Andy, this is the first any of us at the AC forum has heard about the brand manager :? Unfortunatly, it's the fact that they keep news like this locked up from us fans that AC is most likly dead, and why alot of us fans are losing any hope of anime on UK TV.

Nice to know yourself and Beez are still looking to rectify that though :thumb:

Also, i'll pass on some personal thanks to you aswell Andrew, i'm sure your getting fed up of answering questions about AC, but trust me, most of the time the little info you can give us, is more than CSC are letting on.

beez_andrew said:

Unfortunately that is something a lot of fans can't grasp. They seem to think all the backroom discussions should be public and that they should have a say in what goes on. Business has never really worked that way.

- Fake leather book style box, styled like the book of the moon.
- Pages are covered with beautiful artwork and each page contains one volume of the series.
- LE extra #1 - Wolf's Rain OST 1
- LE extra #2 - Limited Edition, EU exclusive Wolf's Rain artbook containing the production artwork and storyboards amongst other things from the series itself that last I checked will be hardbound but I need to confirm that.
Any chance of getting the OST and the artbook without having to buy both sets?

chaos said:
- Fake leather book style box, styled like the book of the moon.
- Pages are covered with beautiful artwork and each page contains one volume of the series.
- LE extra #1 - Wolf's Rain OST 1
- LE extra #2 - Limited Edition, EU exclusive Wolf's Rain artbook containing the production artwork and storyboards amongst other things from the series itself that last I checked will be hardbound but I need to confirm that.
Any chance of getting the OST and the artbook without having to buy both sets?

Soundtrack wise it may do, I need to check that part but the artbook is less likely as that's a special edition for the DVD release. On the upside it is just one boxset - Play.com are retailing it for £64.99 I believe which is good value for money given the package quality :).

hey andrew (please reply as soon as possible), I just saw some anime on a site which was all beez (eureka seven vol.11 and vol.12 limited edition, gurren lagaan vol.1, Code geass boxset with vol.1 and vol.2 and haruhi suzamiya boxset 4) all for £75. I am now confused if I should uphold my ideals and wait for code geass to come out in the UK industry ($45 for 2 volumes and limited edition artbook and stuff) or just get it since this is probably the cheapest I will ever find it if I intended to get the UK version instead. My problem is that I don't know if I can hold out for a more expensive and much later arriving version of code geass and gurren lagaan since I am very interested in them and so I would love to know if these are coming to the UK anytime soon.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me the price, episode count and boxsets coming out to the UK (even if just privately in a note which I promise I will not leak as this is just to help me decide whether to get the UK or US versions). Please help.

Thanks for the info on the Wolf's rain set too, I'll definitely be buying that.

By 'note' I meant PM.

Anyway I also meant to ask if there would be the OVA of the wolf's rain series included in the new boxset. Thanks in advance :)

if you can't answer the episode count thing and boxsets (which would be a bit of a bummer) then please just tell me if they'll be released soon and you don't have to give a date just a nod as to whether they'll be here within the next 3 months or not.

With gurren lagaan and code geass will beez be doing what they did with haruhi where they try and release the same boxsets and episode counts etc?

Thanks in advance again.

Back