Beez Entertainment Discussion

beez_andrew said:
Box 1 has a T-Shirt + EU Exclusive artboook with production art and sketches in it.

Box 2 has a complete Gundam Seed board game. Images are attached :).

They're very nice anyway as I have a set of them sitting on my work desk!

- Andrew

....great, now I'm actually physically going to have to weld my wallet to the floor before leaving for amecon, just so that I CAN'T get at my money.

Hmmmm that box 1 is about right.........£10 a disc £10 for the t-shirt and £10 for the 200 page book (the t-shirt and the book would cost that in the shops.

Kireek said:
Hmmmm that box 1 is about right.........£10 a disc £10 for the t-shirt and £10 for the 200 page book (the t-shirt and the book would cost that in the shops.

yeah, just hope it's in stock for a few more weeks, then i can go crazy with my cash :D

I'd love to get my hands on the two Gundam boxes. Along with that and Haruhi, Beez'll be having all my money for the forseeable future. Lets hope they're all still in stock when i get round to buying them.

**looks at the boxsets, then bangs head against desk for having already bought all the vols**

Ah well there's always the possiblity of other gundam boxsets like this isn't there :wink: and that new Wolf's Rain one is tempting..

I don't suppose the T-Shirt comes in any other size but medium does it?

Every time I buy something with a free T-Shirt, it's always sodding medium. How's that anygood for those of us with a more - how can I put it - rotund physique?

Tasker said:

Every time I buy something with a free T-Shirt, it's always sodding medium. How's that anygood for those of us with a more - how can I put it - rotund physique?

Well now you feel the pain of all the people who import from America and are stuck with a pile of XL T-shirts..... I mean, I barely fit into that and need XXL as a minimum... okay okay I kid, medium is perfect.

Andrew, was just wondering if Beez or any other anime companies are taking any steps to combat the 'ebay problem'? There are a lot of dodgy anime DVD sets on there - very cheap, region 0 with a whole series crammed onto 2 discs. Someone from Beez could spend 5 minutes a day reporting a few of them to ebay which would result in either:

a) ebay removing the dodgyDVD sets and reducing piracy of your property
or
b) ebay don't remove the sets and your lawyers get involved. I believe ebay were sued by various fashion companies last month for a huge amount of money.

So a win-win situation for you there!

CitizenGeek said:
Just got an e-mail from Beez telling me about Freedom getting a Blu-Ray release and - most importantly - the release of the Gunbuster vs. Diebuster GATTAI!! movie :]

Any more details for us, Andrew? Why not just release Gunbuster on it's own?

Sorry for lack of replies, has been a rather busy week as I'm sure you can imagine!

Glad you're looking forward to it :)! Details wise the press release explains most of it really including specs + release details so if there's more specific info you'd like to know then just ask? I'll try to answer it as best I can!

Regarding why not Gunbuster on its own, at least as Blu-Ray at present the movies had the available material for an HD re-mastering already I believe which made it a more immediate candidate for worldwide simultaneous release. I'm chasing up what's happened to the UK license of Gunbuster but I know there were a myriad of issues that prevented a release at the same time as Gunbuster in France.

Similar happened preventing one other license in the past coming to the UK as well as FR, which was a shame++ sadly but sometimes cannot really be avoided. Will see what happens when it's chased up though!

Sorry for the slow reply to your question(s)!

Here they are one after another:

melonpan said:
Just a quickie please Andrew - will all the simultaneous releases be region locked? I.e America and Japan having region A and the UK and France region B? Thanks

I'm not sure in all honesty but in practical terms - what's the point? Stating the obvious as they're the same Blu-Rays at the same price, released at roughly the same time in each country (i.e. importing is pointless on them as you're possibly post shipping times, costs + customs making a worse deal for yourself!) is there really much point in region locking the discs?

melonpan said:
EDIT: Hmm, also, will each set be made in Japan, or will the manufacture be done in each region?

I think I answered this elsewhere but they'll be made at one point as far as I know. Mainly as if multiple-places are working on the same thing at once there will inevitably be potential hiccups at one facility thus delay the whole worldwide plan...

melonpan said:
EDIT 2: Third and final question (until if and when I think of more!): Will the Gunbuster movie be edited like it was for the original release in North America?

To my knowledge it was the original series that got edited in the US and not the movie, though this is running on memory as I don't have a copy of the film to hand at present!

Hope this answers your questions :)

Kireek said:
Picked up harurhi volume 2 today just as good as volume 1 with the layout and extras on the DVD you can tell some effort has gone into this.

Glad you liked it :)! Look forward to more series treated similarly in future too!

xX-Sigil-XxxX-Otaku-Xx said:
I love the sound of the wolf's rain boxset and will probably get it but I think that unless the pack ins are really good then it's going to be a bit of the same. I do hope that Beez isn't spreading thereselves too much since not long ago people would have only dreamed of wolrdwide releases.

We have two main pack-ins for the release, I should be showcasing them at Amecon properly (just making sure the production sheets look especially awesome first, will post them after) but as Play.com has already listed the extras (and is selling the box at a very good rate) the details are:

- Fake leather book style box, styled like the book of the moon.
- Pages are covered with beautiful artwork and each page contains one volume of the series.
- LE extra #1 - Wolf's Rain OST 1
- LE extra #2 - Limited Edition, EU exclusive Wolf's Rain artbook containing the production artwork and storyboards amongst other things from the series itself that last I checked will be hardbound but I need to confirm that.

I think that you can agree, for £64.99 from Play.com - that is a boxset worth its price!

I have two important questions though, does beez not believe that making boxsets (such as the wolf's rain ones) in such small numbers actually harms the sales since the low numbers then reflects in the price? I can see why there are few but making 500 makes it just harder for anime fans to get them and spend alot more.

Simple answer here is no - because France's production run is done at the same time we do it as a batch load (there'll be 1500 available in France). Therefore the production costs are at their optimal as it is done as part of a normal sized batch, just 500 will have English DVD leaflets on them.

As it stands right now, the UK is in its infancy for premium edition releases, with most of the effort being put in by Beez to bring this style into the UK so it's very much a case of learning to walk before we run :). Eventually assuming this does well it will encourage future releases with a higher volume of units per release.

Secondly but more importantly, is blue ray the way to go? Seems like beez is making more of an effort on world wide releases on blue ray titles and I am wondering is investing in blue ray something that beez believes is good for the fans and the company? Does beez see much benefit from releasing titles on blue ray (since there aren't as many as DVD players)? And finally should the fans start getting into blue ray because that's where Beez is moving it's focus to?

Regarding Blu-Ray it's a logical first step in a several pronged attack to the next generation format(s). In terms of differences, shows like Freedom onwards are starting to be engineered from ground up to work well in High Definition - even some older shows being remastered especially for it too.

Given it also means you can reproduce it all in one place, this makes it easier to guarantee a worldwide release. I wouldn't say it means Beez are abandoning DVD releases anytime soon though - and you can expect Blu-Ray worldwide releases to be at least considered for DVD release anyway too depending on a number of factors (many of with out of our hands).

beez_andrew said:
I'm not sure in all honesty but in practical terms - what's the point? Stating the obvious as they're the same Blu-Rays at the same price, released at roughly the same time in each country (i.e. importing is pointless on them as you're possibly post shipping times, costs + customs making a worse deal for yourself!) is there really much point in region locking the discs?

I hope that the powers that be see this the same sensible way you do. I have an imported blu-ray player (PS3 - because I have about 70 JP PS2 games I wanted to keep being able to play mainly and no UK PS2 games ;) ) but releases like the Freedom and Gunbuster sets are definitely something I would be happy to buy locally. If they're locked I'd import, but it would feel silly when I'd much rather support the local industry and sales figures to get more stellar releases here. If they're all being manufactured together and being released more or less simultaneously at very reasonable price points, locking them would seem a waste of administration effort.

For DVD this is less of an issue as it's older tech and I have countless DVD-playing machines already, so I can buy Beez DVD products without thinking about region concerns.

R

melonpan said:
Though, in terms of whether or not Andrew thinks the format will be picked up and embraced by fandom and the general masses is another matter, and something I'd like to know.

Personally I suspect the early adopters of HD often crosses over into a segment of the anime/gaming community quite a bit so there is definitely room there for it being embraced early by some at least. Even if not it provides reason eventually for fans to upgrade too if there are worthwhile titles there and this is just the first round of releases!

As MrChom says - it's going to take a while for major adoption though so DVDs as well as digital routes will not be ignored in the meantime though! However those who do adopt the Blu-Ray releases will be pleasantly surprised, especially as there is an extra effort going into releases, including a manga short for example on the Freedom releases and a whole bonus Blu-Ray for Gunbuster vs Diebuster for starters!

MrChom said:
beez_andrew said:
Box 1 has a T-Shirt + EU Exclusive artboook with production art and sketches in it.

Box 2 has a complete Gundam Seed board game. Images are attached :).

They're very nice anyway as I have a set of them sitting on my work desk!

- Andrew

....great, now I'm actually physically going to have to weld my wallet to the floor before leaving for amecon, just so that I CAN'T get at my money.

Aww...but they look even better in reality too :p...

Tasker said:

I believe the T-shirt size is L for the box :). Or at least it was on the sample copy I had for taking to meetings!

Back