Beez Entertainment Discussion

chaos said:
Ryo Chan said:
Kireek said:
there's all sorts of things underway right now, some of which should eventually lead to making importing a bit pointless.Same day realease??
that'll happen when America admits invading Iraq was wrong
did they ever admitted Vietnam was a bad idea?

To quote family guy

"The whole Vietnam war was a lie, but don't tell the Veterans, they're really into the lie" :D

Just wanted to say thanks to Andrew for his detailed reply, certainly helped me understand the UK anime scene better!

I may well pick up some more Beez titles in the future, that Wolf's Rain information in particular interested me.

Ryo Chan said:
chaos said:
Ryo Chan said:
Kireek said:
there's all sorts of things underway right now, some of which should eventually lead to making importing a bit pointless.Same day realease??
that'll happen when America admits invading Iraq was wrong
did they ever admitted Vietnam was a bad idea?
To quote family guy
"The whole Vietnam war was a lie, but don't tell the Veterans, they're really into the lie" :D
ROFL.... seriously, this is bad in so many ways.. =D I should get back to watch family guy again...

Just wondering how dvds are sold to retailers, I assume movies and high selling dvd are sold to retailer. But with anime selling in low numbers and supplying quite few a lot of different retailers, wouldn't the retailers lose money as they unable to shift stock and be forced to sell at a loss a lot of the time.

Do the retailer get some kind of refund on non selling stock or do anime companies only get the money once volumes are actually sold to consumers?

Dave said:
Just wondering how dvds are sold to retailers, I assume movies and high selling dvd are sold to retailer. But with anime selling in low numbers and supplying quite few a lot of different retailers, wouldn't the retailers lose money as they unable to shift stock and be forced to sell at a loss a lot of the time.

Do the retailer get some kind of refund on non selling stock or do anime companies only get the money once volumes are actually sold to consumers?
Usually the way it works is that the retailer takes so much stock and returns to the distributor any overstock, sometimes retaining some to sell at a lower pricepoint (I assume when sales have been enough to cover costs). In some cases distributors pay shops for shelf-space (usually supermarkets like Asda and the like).

Just got an e-mail from Beez telling me about Freedom getting a Blu-Ray release and - most importantly - the release of the Gunbuster vs. Diebuster GATTAI!! movie :]

Any more details for us, Andrew? Why not just release Gunbuster on it's own?

Just a quickie please Andrew - will all the simultaneous releases be region locked? I.e America and Japan having region A and the UK and France region B? Thanks

EDIT: Hmm, also, will each set be made in Japan, or will the manufacture be done in each region?

EDIT 2: Third and final question (until if and when I think of more!): Will the Gunbuster movie be edited like it was for the original release in North America?

I love the sound of the wolf's rain boxset and will probably get it but I think that unless the pack ins are really good then it's going to be a bit of the same. I do hope that Beez isn't spreading thereselves too much since not long ago people would have only dreamed of wolrdwide releases.

I have two important questions though, does beez not believe that making boxsets (such as the wolf's rain ones) in such small numbers actually harms the sales since the low numbers then reflects in the price? I can see why there are few but making 500 makes it just harder for anime fans to get them and spend alot more.

Secondly but more importantly, is blue ray the way to go? Seems like beez is making more of an effort on world wide releases on blue ray titles and I am wondering is investing in blue ray something that beez believes is good for the fans and the company? Does beez see much benefit from releasing titles on blue ray (since there aren't as many as DVD players)? And finally should the fans start getting into blue ray because that's where Beez is moving it's focus to?

xX-Sigil-XxxX-Otaku-Xx said:
I have two important questions though, does beez not believe that making boxsets (such as the wolf's rain ones) in such small numbers actually harms the sales since the low numbers then reflects in the price? I can see why there are few but making 500 makes it just harder for anime fans to get them and spend alot more.

Just to add my view - apparently, Bandai Visual USA made 10,000 units (I don't know if it's total, or per movie) of the Patlabor limited edition releases, and only sold 5,000, so they have 5,000 units left in stock. I would assume it's better in business practise to have sold all your stock than have tons left. I don't know really, though.

xX-Sigil-XxxX-Otaku-Xx said:
Secondly but more importantly, is blue ray the way to go? Seems like beez is making more of an effort on world wide releases on blue ray titles and I am wondering is investing in blue ray something that beez believes is good for the fans and the company? Does beez see much benefit from releasing titles on blue ray (since there aren't as many as DVD players)? And finally should the fans start getting into blue ray because that's where Beez is moving it's focus to?

Again, to add my view here - Blu-ray is absolutely, most definately the way to go.

All your questions are answered here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Though, in terms of whether or not Andrew thinks the format will be picked up and embraced by fandom and the general masses is another matter, and something I'd like to know.
In Japan at least, the sales figures point to it massively, with huge increases in sales, and of course the main Blu-ray driving force - Playstation 3 picking up speed (and overtaking Xbox360).

Blu Ray is going to take a while for full adoption, moreso than DVD because the difference in quality/usability just isn't as great as the DVD/VHS divide.

It'll pickup when more peple have HD at home (still a relatively small base), although frankly for anime there's very little point. Upscaling already makes stuff look great over HDMI and VGA.

melonpan said:
In Japan at least, the sales figures point to it massively, with huge increases in sales, and of course the main Blu-ray driving force - Playstation 3 picking up speed (and overtaking Xbox360).

for now, but we'll see how that goes when the 360's blue ray/cheaper blue ray players come out

most people i know who have a ps3, only really got it as a cheap blue ray player

Ryo Chan said:
melonpan said:

for now, but we'll see how that goes when the 360's blue ray/cheaper blue ray players come out

most people i know who have a ps3, only really got it as a cheap blue ray player

Same with my friends really (barring those who got it for MGS4), but with Microsoft still denying the existence of a blu-ray drive Sony could get the market now there is no blu-ray/ HD DVD war. Still in japan i wouldn't take PS3 beating Xbox 360 as a sign of anything as the xbox brand has never sold that well over there

Anyway while i'm here...

Andrew in america it was recently announced that Gundam 00 was to start airing on the state's version of the Sci-Fi channel, so it's a longshot question but is there any talks or anything going like that over here? I know its been a while since the uk Sci-Fi channel last aired anime but i can't help but ask

BlackWolf said:
Ryo Chan said:
melonpan said:

Same with my friends really (barring those who got it for MGS4), but with Microsoft still denying the existence of a blu-ray drive Sony could get the market now there is no blu-ray/ HD DVD war. Still in japan i wouldn't take PS3 beating Xbox 360 as a sign of anything as the xbox brand has never sold that well over there

Anyway while i'm here...

Andrew in america it was recently announced that Gundam 00 was to start airing on the state's version of the Sci-Fi channel, so it's a longshot question but is there any talks or anything going like that over here? I know its been a while since the uk Sci-Fi channel last aired anime but i can't help but ask

more chance of Anime Network comming back (last time i said this we got similtanious releases, so i'm hoping it works again :D)

Ryo Chan said:
beez_andrew said:
Collectors edition releases:

Gundam Seed Box 1
Gundam Seed Box 2

wait... there's Gundam Seed Boxsets out

and they have t-shirts in them?

Why am i only just learning this now...... Sod Funi's DBZ collection, i have a new target on my list :D

on that slight note, any idea if there will be Destiny colleciton boxs too?

Box 1 has a T-Shirt + EU Exclusive artboook with production art and sketches in it.

Box 2 has a complete Gundam Seed board game. Images are attached :).

They're very nice anyway as I have a set of them sitting on my work desk!

- Andrew

Mantis said:
Just wanted to say thanks to Andrew for his detailed reply, certainly helped me understand the UK anime scene better!

I may well pick up some more Beez titles in the future, that Wolf's Rain information in particular interested me.

Not a problem! Sorry it took so long though, finally got my usual work terminal back online again -_-!

There should be more releases like the upcoming Wolf's Rain one in the future too so keep your eyes peeled :)!

- Andrew

Gawyn said:
Dave said:

Usually the way it works is that the retailer takes so much stock and returns to the distributor any overstock, sometimes retaining some to sell at a lower pricepoint (I assume when sales have been enough to cover costs). In some cases distributors pay shops for shelf-space (usually supermarkets like Asda and the like).

Close - but normally for cheaper releases a special rate is given for x number of stock initially for those. That way retailers do not make a loss on it or they wouldn't buy the titles to start!

The rest is accurate and they don't make a loss as via retail channels DVDs are sold at a lower price than RRP - which allows shops to charge RRP and make X amount of profit etc.

- Andrew

Back