UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

At the panel we were asked if anyone had seen the Mirai posters and apparently no one had.

Am I the only one who noticed these dotted around Bank?
AMELKJ8.jpg

At the panel we were asked if anyone had seen the Mirai posters and apparently no one had.

Am I the only one who noticed these dotted around Bank?
AMELKJ8.jpg
Think I saw this exact one on my commute. I’ve seen one or two scattered about, it’s nice to see more posters for anime films for a change.

I hope manga pushes MHA just as hard as I feel those films needed more reminding to the “casuals”
As I doubt many casuals will see the artsy Hosoda, which reviews ain’t glowing of.

"We’re happy to confirm that this will also be getting a UK release, but we’re unable to confirm any specifics at this time on how and/or when that may be."

Is it weird that I assumed Day Breakers would just be included with the main series? Like surely they're not gonna release a 24min OVA on it's own?

"We’re happy to confirm that this will also be getting a UK release, but we’re unable to confirm any specifics at this time on how and/or when that may be."

Is it weird that I assumed Day Breakers would just be included with the main series? Like surely they're not gonna release a 24min OVA on it's own?
Could be a different production committee, to be fair?

It has a different continuity than the TV series. The OVA ties to the game, where the TV series is separate. And horrible, SKIP.

Plus, it's Aniplex. They don't care about good prices. (But the quality is usually very high in return)
Well yeah (I watched the OVA before the game came out), but Anime Limited's comment made it sound like they were looking to combine them into one release, but it may not be possible.

Them being produced at different times, for different purposes, may mean a different committee. Which would be a problem more than a desire to price gouge.

At the panel Jeremy made it sound like Daybreakers was something they looked into specifically because fans asked about it and because of how it was released in Japan they're currently unsure what stipulations the licensor will put on it.

I hope manga pushes MHA just as hard as I feel those films needed more reminding to the “casuals”

Can't possibly comment on Manga's plans for promotion - but I'd point out that it's a pretty risky venture to push as new a series like that with outdoor ads because most "casuals" will be unwilling and see a film that reviews as set between Season 2 and Season 3 of a show they have not yet got that far in just due to a bit of outdoor advertising. Doesn't matter how many times you insist "But no, really, you can enjoy this not knowing anything about the series or being up to date!"

The only exception to this are works like DBZ which do transcend the standard audience thanks to prolonged TV exposure among other factors over the last long while :).

As I doubt many casuals will see the artsy Hosoda, which reviews ain’t glowing of.

I'm not sure what your definition of glowing is - but if we're talking what casuals read then maybe they pay a lot more attention to local sources than anything all of us into anime do - you can see a selection of their responses below (more are coming too):
  • “ingenious children’s fantasy” ★ ★ ★ ★ Daily Star Sunday
  • "Warmly observed, richly imagined" ★ ★ ★ ★ Total Film
  • "Mamoru Hosoda is a new force in Japanese animation" ★ ★ ★ ★ Time Out
  • “Charming and insightful” ★ ★ ★ ★ Empire
  • “Cute and sweet” ★ ★ ★ ★ Radio Times
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ SFX Magazine
  • "unexpectedly enthralling" ★ ★ ★ ★ Woman's Own
  • "achingly real emotions and a spot of magic" ★ ★ ★ ★ Now Magazine
  • "a beautifully observed and very funny animation" ★ ★ ★ ★ SciFiNow
  • "Intimate, funny, and life-affirming storytelling" ★ ★ ★ ★ Flickering Myth
  • "A magically animated child’s view of life and family" ★ ★ ★ ★ The National Student
  • “a sweet, cute and surprisingly profound experience " ★ ★ ★ ★ The Hollywood News
  • "A joy to see" ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ MYMBuzz
  • "An instant classic" ★★★★★ Otaku New
  • "Mirai is another lovely, sentimental, enjoyable family film from Mamoru Hosoda" - 8/10 AnimeUKNews
  • “A remarkable blend of the ingenious and the heartfelt" - Little White Lies
The roads to success may be different, but it doesn't mean the audience for MHA won't be as strong as Deku and All Might though! Just figured I'd take the opportunity to show off some of the glowing reviews :).

Best,

AP

Back