UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Now that I woke up I can post my thoughts on the matter. One person did ask me why I didn't make this an AUKN article. Well it's because it's Amazon so I figured it would be rude to do so without AL's approval, plus the more info on each set the better. I already know which distributor and licensor is what (because they are really easy to figure out) but the rest.. eh I would rather just post it here then announce it without much detail.
  • Ajin - Hooray my request got through, honestly I didn't think you would get it in the end but I can imagine the Collector's Edition pretty much be identical to the Sentai version (minus the manga) which is fine by me because that release was overpriced. I am concerned on whether the Movies will be included because Sentai are bundling both the movies and the seasons together (Season 1 includes Movie 1, and Season 2 will eventually include Movies 2 & 3).
  • Chrono Crusade & Peacemaker - It seems you acquired a Gonzo type package deal, no big deal but hey if they get NTSC releases I guess there's no harm in releasing them.
  • Eureka Seven - I already own the US Limited Edition set from Funimation but I am considering a double-dip for the UK Ultimate Edition.
  • Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - You were THIS CLOSE so you're lucky I didn't go for the Funimation set. Kinda of a shame because the US one looks pretty much perfect. I will wait, I will wait for you.
  • Love Live! Sunshine!! - It can only be perfect if the digipack folds out with a voice and picture of Mari speaking "It's joke".
  • The Testament of Sister New Devil - Good luck with the BBFC on that one. Heck this one is also your first Crunchyroll title.

Eureka 7 was my joint first "I know this is anime" anime (the other being Bleach) so I'm super excited to see what the set features.
Never expected Testament, due to BBFC. I asked my bf and he said the girls are mentioned as being 16 or over so it could be alright.
Lots of others I would like! Such as Wolf's Rain, Ass Class, Hyouka, Grimgar, ZZ Gundam 2 & Love Live Sunshine ..gonna be a hard Q4 for stopping myself as I fancy some of the MVM & Manga/Animatsu ones too..and it's my bf's birthday..and Christmas...yikes.

Pretty disappointed to see Eureka Seven is UE or SE (although I suppose this was already known really) ;_; guess I'll just have hope they pull a Gurren Lagann/FMP and release a nice reasonably priced non daft sized edition someday.... Even more annoyed at myself for not getting the US set while it was super cheap on Amazon >_>

On a more positive note, I'll pick up AssClass Season 2 Part 2 (should probably get Part 1 at some point too....), Durarara!!x2 Ketsu, Hyouka CE, MSG ZZ and Princess Arte. Maybe Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash CE too as it looks interesting. *Edit* Actually having a look at some of these prices, maybe not :S I'm gonna hope this is Amazon just being Amazon, but some of these are gonna have to come down for me to buy.....

Last edited:
Even more annoyed at myself for not getting the US set while it was super cheap on Amazon >_>
My second sealed copy is still available in the Marketplace forum for a little bit more than what Amazon had it for. I'm offering it for what I paid in Euro plus shipping, but the weakening Pound has had an impact on the UK value.

I was most pleasantly surprised to hear from a good friend that, despite the title, Grimgar is neither particularly grim nor remotely GAR. I'm in for that and Hyouka.

Not that I'm complaining or anything (that wouldn't be like me at all...) as in most cases I don't mind waiting, but if Manga/Animatsu can get their Sentai releases out as collector's editions in a couple of months, why is it taking AL 6 or 7 months to bring these Funimation releases over? It feeels like we've gone back ten years to when there was a geniune temptation to import rather than wait

Grimgar and Testament yay :) i want them lol

glad to see more old stuff like Peace Maker and Eureka Seven, now I dont have to track down ADV and Beez's release.

Already have Chrono Crusade though and i'll skip Ajin as I dislike it's animation style

Eureka Seven
Complete Series - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray - 20th November 2017
Part 1 - Standard Edition Blu-ray - 20th November 2017
Part 2 - Standard Edition Blu-ray - 11th December 2017

giphy.gif

I’ll probably pick up Grimgar, Hyouka, Wolf’s Rain, Arete and Momotaro (mainly for the book) if there’s any reasonable offers prior to release. I hadn’t even realised Grimgar had been licensed in the UK, not least by AL, so that’s a pleasant surprise.

I’m definitely out regarding Eureka 7 though; I just don’t care enough to justify those prices, especially considering I’m one of the four people on earth that vastly preferred Astral Ocean, which I picked up brand new for £14 a few months back. Obviously not all things are created equal, but it does highlight that I shouldn’t be throwing money at a series I’m fairly lukewarm on, even more so if it’s not in my format of choice. I’ll either put my hopes on a collector’s edition materialising 2-3 years down the line alongside Escaflowne, or I’ll snap the complete funi release in a rightstuf sale.

A lot of the choices depend on price, but I’m happy there’s more shows I’m interested in towards the second half of the year than the first. The only AL title’s I’ve picked so far have been FMP, Nadesico & Belladonna, and chiefly because they were part of decent early bird/12 Days offers than personal investment.

It’s a shame there’s not a hint of news on the Rakugo, Sound Euphonium & Mob Psycho front, but good things come to those who wait I guess.

As a behind the scenes question for Andrew & co. With Ajin, does getting a Netflix show cut the cost a little for yourselves as they'll have had to get it BBFC rated or do you have to do it again for physical release?

Also. The Seven Deadly Sins ;);););)

I like Eureka Seven, but I'm not sure if I 'Ultimate Edition' like it. The words 'concept' and 'experiment' have me interested though.

It's an experiment in delivery model - the biggest constraint of our Ultimates to date is simple - either we do a size that basically fits on some DVD / BD shelves ala Escaflowne or we do an insane like FMA. FMA inspired me to think more about splitting parts up so what we've done here is created the best we can in two ways so the big parts are:
  • Regular BD sized box (using artwork not used in the US or JP release of the BD / DVDs)
  • 148 page A4 artbook, created especially for this release.
In short, I have basically pored over every piece of material conceivable for the Eureka Seven series to make an artbook (I've never been able to find a good one in Japan and the ones that were are mostly out of circulation now).

It's all being delivered in a mailer that firstly comes wrapped in bubble wrap and goes inside another mailer, to make sure the contents are not damaged and secondly allows you to put the A4 book with your books and your BDs with your normal BDs. The mailer itself is an experiment so can either be thrown out or kept, totally up to you there :).

NB - working on other things but pending approval on the last elements - sufficed to say this model allows us a lot more room to work as well so if it goes down well we'll consider it in future :).

Opposite for me they have me worried

Well since you said you were only interested in Grimgar and Assassination Classroom, I find myself unworried :D!

Best,

Andrew

As a behind the scenes question for Andrew & co. With Ajin, does getting a Netflix show cut the cost a little for yourselves as they'll have had to get it BBFC rated or do you have to do it again for physical release?

Also. The Seven Deadly Sins ;);););)

Netflix do not seem to BBFC their originals, likely as they are serving from outside the UK so as long as they rate it in-system well it avoids any issues - so it changes nothing in the end alas.

AP

Back