UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'm curious about the Ouran set, presumably it'll include the same Blu-ray as the Funimation release. I believe that's an upscale, although I'm not sure there's anything better for Ouran anyway. I'm just assuming it won't be a DVD only Collector's Edition, that'd be odd.

Buzzkillington said:
Even though I dislike Ultimate Editions, Escaflowne looks great. I don't think I'll be taking advantage of the early bird offer and I'd like to see if the artbook is decent before hand too as the others have been awful (imo of course). It's a weird one as Escaflowne is very dear to me but this feels like it has taken so long since it was announced a lot of my enthusiasm has evaporated at this point, it's also seems to be releasing near Christmas which doesn't exactly help matters.
One of the advantages of the Early Bird option is that you could pay now and worry about money for the end of the year later. Plus, you'll still get the set whenever it turns up without having to save up for it (unless Anime Limited suddenly go out of business or something). I'd say it's worth it if you're confident you'll want the set and have the money.

Saying that, if you just want the show and are willing to wait then there's a decent chance there'll be a standard release somewhere down the line. That might partly depend on the Ultimate Edition selling reasonably well but then if it does poorly it might end up being available at a cheaper price anyway. I guess anime buying is always a bit of a gamble.

Escaflowne looks great, i'll definitely be picking it up although i might be the most i've spent on a blind buy show :p

Ouran will be a pass from me but i'm glad the blu ray is getting a UK release.

Might pick up the IG shorts set.

Hope there's a standard edition planned & I don't have to wait too long. These ultimates are always way too expensive for my tastes even though I want the show. £90 is crazy money to me for a 26 episode show.

Ordered Escaflowne, even with the 11,50£ P&P to Belgium this is still way below the current Amazon price.

Also great to see that Anime Limited will release Ouran Host Club, looking forward to that one. The FUNimation Anime Classics release was on my to-purchase list for some time now but can finally be scratched.

Do wonder what AL plans are in regard to Fate/Kaleid as they only released season 1 so far. Are there plans for the other seasons ?

Man the Escaflowne set looks great but the artbox is not as nice as the Funimation release. Luckily the Early Bird price is up for at least alittle while. I really don't know which set to go for. I really like both for differing reasons.

Stiibun said:
Do wonder what AL plans are in regard to Fate/Kaleid as they only released season 1 so far. Are there plans for the other seasons ?
AL only have season one, I doubt anyone else will licence any more for UK release either as it is risky to get through BBFC, and if it does will definitely be 18 rated, due to Kuro and her sexualised kissing scenes or censored heavily.

Lavigne said:
£40+ less than the current Amazon listing.

Ordered! :cool:
Welcome back!

Smeelia said:
One of the advantages of the Early Bird option is that you could pay now and worry about money for the end of the year later. Plus, you'll still get the set whenever it turns up without having to save up for it (unless Anime Limited suddenly go out of business or something). I'd say it's worth it if you're confident you'll want the set and have the money.

Saying that, if you just want the show and are willing to wait then there's a decent chance there'll be a standard release somewhere down the line. That might partly depend on the Ultimate Edition selling reasonably well but then if it does poorly it might end up being available at a cheaper price anyway. I guess anime buying is always a bit of a gamble.

Problem is, I'm not confident that I want it anymore, which is weird as when it was announced it was day 1 in my mind but as time went by my excitement waned. I only have 3 of the Ultimate Editions and I'm only really happy with the Patema Inverted one (poor choice of artwork for the box aside) as the book was incredible and the set being £35 also helped. I understand you can only work with what's available to you but at this point I'd rather wait and see the artbook to decide if it's worth the price asked as Gurren Lagnan and Full Metal Panics certainly weren't for me. With that being said, the OST being part of this is a massive plus in its favor.

It's kinda funny that I complain about this after sticking in an order for 1 movie and an OVA at a cost of over £100 lol I'm pretty sure Escaflowne will be far better value than that.

I just noticed the Production IG stuff, that sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

Escaflowne looks like a pretty sweet set. Will probably wait a week or so before committing to it, though.

Interested to see what they do with Ouran too.

serpantino said:
Hope there's a standard edition planned & I don't have to wait too long. These ultimates are always way too expensive for my tastes even though I want the show. £90 is crazy money to me for a 26 episode show.

That's a fair point and if it's not in your range for now I totally get it :)! That said, an interesting lesson in economics is even if the US discs were Region B (which they're not according to the licensor) then the cheapest available option for fans would be:

26 episodes from Funimation (standard) - 2 parts x $41.24 EACH = £62.18 pre import tax
1 x Movie set from Funimation - 1 set x $26.24 = £19.84

== £82.02 as is

So for £8 more then you get Collector's packaging, a 148 page artbook and the three soundtracks for the TV series as composed by Yoko Kanno herself! For £8 more, that's not a bad deal all in all and is in line with the not-so-crazy Funimation for pricing :). Not sure we could have done much better here if we tried!

AP

anime_andrew said:
serpantino said:

That's a fair point and if it's not in your range for now I totally get it :)! That said, an interesting lesson in economics is even if the US discs were Region B (which they're not according to the licensor) then the cheapest available option for fans would be:

26 episodes from Funimation (standard) - 2 parts x $41.24 EACH = £62.18 pre import tax

== £82.02 as is

So for £8 more then you get Collector's packaging, a 148 page artbook and the three soundtracks for the TV series as composed by Yoko Kanno herself! For £8 more, that's not a bad deal all in all and is in line with the not-so-crazy Funimation for pricing :). Not sure we could have done much better here if we tried!

AP

Thats only if we can afford to take you up on the deal which I cannot as I cannot drop £90 on something months in advance, so I'm stuck with amazons £133 price or you make you website pay for preorders on dispatch.

anime_andrew said:
I'm glad you are though, I'd have done something wrong if that set was of no interest to you :)!

AP
Well I just want to say that your hard work is not going unnoticed and I (along with many others) appreciate it a lot. The Production I.G set is something that puts a huge smile on my face and makes me very optimistic for the future. I not only appreciate the product itself and what it entails but also what the release stands for as a gesture, a representation of the types of works that largely goes unnoticed but in actuality represent the best of the industry. Pieces that exist because they can, films and shorts that celebrate the industry and its huge array of talent. We rarely get to see works like this getting the time of day and so it pleases me that you're committed to bringing works such as this out here.

This coupled with Belladonna of Sadness and Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors represents a new era, which is ironic because although these works are as old as time itself they bring forth a much needed breath of fresh air to the market. I don't know what kind of internal expectations you have for these releases but I really hope that they are both met and exceeded because it pains me that Giovanni's Island burnt you so hopefully these do well. I'll be there day one and I hope to see more releases of this ilk in the future. If anybody could do them justice, its you.

I've also spread the word about your Escaflowne release and a lot of people are happy so I think that you have a winner on your hands there, but I'm sure you're aware of that, the culmination of years of work will pay off.

anime_andrew said:

A pretty compelling argument!

My Escaflowne-crazy friend is very happy at the moment. I was only half as in love with the show as him but I get a little longer to decide whether or not I want to go for the UE (I probably will).

R

thedoctor2016 said:
anime_andrew said:
serpantino said:

== £82.02 as is

AP

Thats only if we can afford to take you up on the deal which I cannot as I cannot drop £90 on something months in advance, so I'm stuck with amazons £133 price or you make you website pay for preorders on dispatch.

I doubt it will stay that high. Both previously released 2 cour+ tv series UEs so far have dropped to at least £90 on Amazon before release. Will be picking it up myself. Will order in a couple of weeks while Sterling is still weak, saved €20 on FMA by waiting until after the Brexit referendum myself.

anime_andrew said:

== £82.02 as is

AP

The way I see it is: That most of your standard (26 episode) releases seem to average around £45 so to me it feels like I'm paying an extra £45 for a fancier box & artbook & possibly some other paper/card/niknaks when all I want is the anime. The price hike is far crazier if factoring in the rrp, it's the same thing that killed my interest in other AL releases like full metal alchemist & full metal panic! (The latter of which I ended up getting the US versions of instead at £10 each due to no news on standard AL releases).

This new trend towards these ultimate/limited editions just feels like anime is becoming an elitist market rather than just a niche market as all us lower income fans are gradually being priced out of the market & I'm sure it'll lead to stagnation of potentianal newcomers when they watch it on Netflix, enjoy it, then visit Amazon & see how expensive anime is.

AL gets some of the best anime so I'm really gutted when it's far too expensive, especially as I would like to buy on release to show support & boost those all important initial sales figures.

The CDs alone are worth £45 given how much Japanese CDs cost. I appreciate that they are valueless if you don't want the music, but they're often requested for UEs and this is one of the times AL have actually managed to get them - no minor feat in itself.

R

serpantino said:
The way I see it is: That most of your standard (26 episode) releases seem to average around £45 so to me it feels like I'm paying an extra £45 for a fancier box & artbook & possibly some other paper/card/niknaks when all I want is the anime. The price hike is far crazier if factoring in the rrp, it's the same thing that killed my interest in other AL releases like full metal alchemist & full metal panic! (The latter of which I ended up getting the US versions of instead at £10 each due to no news on standard AL releases).

This new trend towards these ultimate/limited editions just feels like anime is becoming an elitist market rather than just a niche market as all us lower income fans are gradually being priced out of the market & I'm sure it'll lead to stagnation of potentianal newcomers when they watch it on Netflix, enjoy it, then visit Amazon & see how expensive anime is.

AL gets some of the best anime so I'm really gutted when it's far too expensive, especially as I would like to buy on release to show support & boost those all important initial sales figures.

AL have confirmed there will be a standard edition of some kind. Details seem to vary as to whether it will or won't include the director's cuts and new dub or TV cuts and old dub so confirmation would be nice...

- The original TV version of Escaflowne in HD, with original un-edited dub (Will not be sold separately, but if we did it'd have an SRP of at least - £49.99)

So if sold separately you'd be forking up an SRP of £194.95 instead of £149.99. Retail discount brings that down further again and only the following parts will be available for purchase separately:

- The Director's cut of Escaflowne in HD, with new dub from the USA in 2016 (SRP if sold separately - £59.99) - in December 2016, 1 month after Ultimate Edition is released, meaning if you don't want the ultra Collector's Edition - you don't have to buy it :).

- The re-make film of Escaflowne in HD, with new dub and old dub in the USA in 2016 (SRP if sold separately £34.99)

But a later reply says:
If you'd like the basic old version (unedited) of the series in HD just, then there will be a standard not far behind it for you to enjoy. Our authoring makes that completely possible to do and we can assure you unlike the USA, it will be one complete part and in line with what we did for Gurren Lagann :).

Back