UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

It depends on the show for me. For fan service titles I strongly prefer BD (...what?) but cheaply-animated stuff looks just fine on DVD. I'm certainly not turning my nose up at Discotek's rescues of classics just because of the format and I've picked up a few DVD-only releases from the continent too.

I don't like it when I buy the DVD because there's no choice and a BD subsequently appears, though. Sometimes it's just one of those things, but when I feel tricked it sours me on being an early adopter; sort of like the shenanigans some companies are pulling lately with special editions after the first release. When it's a rescue (like AL's work on some fan favourites) it's understandable, of course.

R

I don't buy DVD's and haven't for the last decade unless I'm 100% certain that it''ll never get a BD release or if it's for collection purposes, which is why I have a huge anime laserDisc collection...

It's been a while since we've had an early bird special, no?

Also, newswire says there will be lots to talk about after cons this weekend. Hoping for tentative Q4 schedule and a few announcements :)

I think the last Early Bird deal was for Zeta Gundam Part 1 about a month ago (I guess there's technically also Fullmetal Alchemist). It would have been nice to get an offer for Free but I suppose it being an especially special project probably makes that less likely. Wouldn't mind an offer for the fancy version of Miss Hokusai, assuming it's at a point where that'd be realistic.

I don't think there have been too many releases since that last deal, really, so it's not too surprising that there hasn't been one yet. I wonder if the more troublesome releases are less likely to be included in an offer because they need those higher priced sales to make up the extra costs or more likely to be included in order to generate some extra attention and sales for them.

The newswire does mention a delay to that Twintail show, if they're still waiting to confirm a date then I'm guessing it won't make it for the 8th of August now. I'm also wondering if Barakamon is actually going to be released for the 15th, that would be nice (though I'm assuming there's a reason that it's down for the 5th of September on the Schedule).

A quick look at my Facebook's 'On this day' feed tells me that it's been three years to the day since the Anime Limited's first release, the first part of Cowboy Bebop on BD! Here's to many more. I do hope we get more 80s/90s catalogue stuff from AL in the future.

I'll second that. I still rate the Wings of Honneamise release as one of the best / my favourites of what they've put out - would love to see more in that vein.

Will always remember the week Perfect Blue came out, the same week the PS4 came out I think - I'd taken the week off work to play, and between the two of those, I was all set up!

Crazy to think how much the UK anime industry has changed in those three years - and how the tables have turned to some respect, with particular regard to Funi / Manga. That said, I do really miss the Manga UK podcasts.

Wings of Honneamise was a pretty good release, but I hope we never see another Anime Limited release that requires me to enable overscan on my TV.

Announcements:
Ouran Host Club Collector's Edition- November
Pigtails - Short film about 2011 earthquakes from Production IG. Will be released in a collection of IG shorts with Kick-Heart, their Anime Mirai project shorts and Oval x Over.

Escaflowne Early Bird available for £90 on webstore from 1PM today. Will be larger artbook than Funimation's, 3 disc soundtrack, along with film and series obviously. (Limited to 1,000)

Hoping to get soundtracks for Death Parade.
Depending on assets, Prison School may be just a Funimation release rather than Anime Limited.

Old ADV titles are also apparently very hard to acquire.

elaniel said:
Announcements:
Ouran Host Club - November
Pigtails - Short film about 2011 earthquakes from Production IG. Will be released in a collection of IG shorts along with Kick-Heart, the studio's Anime Mirai project shorts and Oval x Over.
Escaflowne Early Bird available for £90 on webstore from 1PM today. Will be larger artbook than Funimation's, 3 disc soundtrack, along with film and series obviously. (Limited to 1,000)

EDIT: I WAS going to get that Escaflowne early bird, but after taking a look at my bank account as of right now, and looking at my current employment status, I think I'll have to take a pass. Damn :(

Even though I dislike Ultimate Editions, Escaflowne looks great. I don't think I'll be taking advantage of the early bird offer and I'd like to see if the artbook is decent before hand too as the others have been awful (imo of course). It's a weird one as Escaflowne is very dear to me but this feels like it has taken so long since it was announced a lot of my enthusiasm has evaporated at this point, it's also seems to be releasing near Christmas which doesn't exactly help matters.

elaniel said:
Announcements:
Ouran Host Club Collector's Edition- November
Pigtails - Short film about 2011 earthquakes from Production IG. Will be released in a collection of IG shorts with Kick-Heart, their Anime Mirai project shorts and Oval x Over.

Hoping to get soundtracks for Death Parade.
Depending on assets, Prison School may be just a Funimation release rather than Anime Limited.

Old ADV titles are also apparently very hard to acquire.

Definitely be picking up Ouran. I had the complete set on DVD but time for an upgrade I think. :D

Also interested in the IG shorts but will be depending on price there more than anything. Escaflowne is looking good and includes a lot of goodies for the price, but I'm not a fan so will be passing there.

Having not finished Death Parade (it got removed from Viewster before I finished...) I don't recall the quality of the soundtrack, but I'd definitely be interested in it being included in whatever set AL does. Guess we'll see what happens there. :)

Back