UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Jaysgba said:
And then there's Terror in Resonance, which really did not need an Ultimate Edition. Good anime, but I'm of the opinion that Ultimate Editions should be saved for movies and series that have more than just one cour.

It probably didn't NEED one, but it did benefit from one and it was evaluated as being on the cusp of qualifying (aka I did not think we'd lose money on it in the long run - and in fact we didn't even in the short term) so it balanced out. Sometimes it's about what suits a title based on the materials and what the target audience (both size and leaning) for homevideo is. The Murder Case Hana & Alice fits on several criteria but fall short for the market size for the film & materials available (which really, really pains me).

Hope this illuminates the approach a bit too!

AP

For me, Terror in Resonance being released as an UE is a tad annoying. While I would have jumped at a collector's edition, the price for the ultimate edition is above what I'm willing to pay for the series. The standard edition is out now, which is a cheaper option, but I'm hesitant to buy that when there's even a possibility of the Terror in Resonance ultimate edition being available for a price that works for me at some point down the line. Ideally, I want as many of the AL releases I buy as possible to have those lovely rigid boxes.

I appreciate you elaborating on The Murder Case of Hana and Alice; it really is a shame that it's not possible to release the live action movie as well. The live action movie was beautiful, and I really can't wait until your release of the animated movie so I can finally see if it is as enjoyable.

Yeah, cheers for responding Andrew! I think Iwai is one of the best directors of the 90s/00s so I'll take any opportunity I can get to lobby for more of his work to be released. The Case of Hana and Alice is a wonderful film - more wonderful in the context of having seen the original but beautiful nevertheless.

Jaysgba said:
For me, Terror in Resonance being released as an UE is a tad annoying. While I would have jumped at a collector's edition, the price for the ultimate edition is above what I'm willing to pay for the series. The standard edition is out now, which is a cheaper option, but I'm hesitant to buy that when there's even a possibility of the Terror in Resonance ultimate edition being available for a price that works for me at some point down the line. Ideally, I want as many of the AL releases I buy as possible to have those lovely rigid boxes.
This is kinda where I'm at on it too sadly. I wanna own the series but I just don't see the value in the Ultimate release unless I can grab it for between £40-£50, and I don't want the standard release in case the Ultimate ever hits that price point. :/ I'll most likely end up with the US set, someone on the old site was selling it before it went down at a great price too.

On a more positive note (I know right? Me being positive about something...) I'm really looking forward to The Murder Case of Hana and Alice, I just hope we don't have to wait too long.

Buzzkillington said:
Jaysgba said:
This is kinda where I'm at on it too sadly. I wanna own the series but I just don't see the value in the Ultimate release unless I can grab it for between £40-£50, and I don't want the standard release in case the Ultimate ever hits that price point. :/ I'll most likely end up with the US set, someone on the old site was selling it before it went down at a great price too.

On a more positive note (I know right? Me being positive about something...) I'm really looking forward to The Murder Case of Hana and Alice, I just hope we don't have to wait too long.

It'll be in the first week of October, so one or two weeks after France just due to the way product listings work in the UK, first title of Q4 for us though :)! All packaging is off to approval now though!

Best,

AP

anime_andrew said:
It'll be in the first week of October, so one or two weeks after France just due to the way product listings work in the UK, first title of Q4 for us though :)! All packaging is off to approval now though!

Best,

AP

That's great to hear.

On another topic (and quite an important one), is there an update on Mai Mai Miracle? - because the backers are getting pretty aggressive and have been comparing your project to AnimEigo's (which is unfair considering the Mai Mai situation is basically an Eva 3.0 issue [i.e. the English dub & long approvals]).

NormanicGrav said:
anime_andrew said:

Best,

AP

That's great to hear.

On another topic (and quite an important one), is there an update on Mai Mai Miracle? - because the backers are getting pretty aggressive and have been comparing your project to AnimEigo's (which is unfair considering the Mai Mai situation is basically an Eva 3.0 issue [i.e. the English dub & long approvals]).

There'll be one soon, just pushing for sign off on visuals so we can go to print and get this all delivered too :). Last leg but it's all mired in the fact there's a new film coming and the committee has woken up that Mai Mai is important for that too. It's pretty frustrating but we have to play by the rules on it.

We're getting the digital stuff out the door asap as that's our bad for taking too long there, can understand people being cheesed off as well, they have every right to be and it eats away at us as much as them.

Will have a placeholder up asap tho.

AP

anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:
anime_andrew said:

Best,

AP

That's great to hear.

There'll be one soon, just pushing for sign off on visuals so we can go to print and get this all delivered too :). Last leg but it's all mired in the fact there's a new film coming and the committee has woken up that Mai Mai is important for that too. It's pretty frustrating but we have to play by the rules on it.

We're getting the digital stuff out the door asap as that's our bad for taking too long there, can understand people being cheesed off as well, they have every right to be and it eats away at us as much as them.

Will have a placeholder up asap tho.

AP
I do hope it's not soured the teams view of kickstarter? As while the wait is a pain, and people can and do (rightly so) get upset about it. I feel like there's still a large percentage of people who backed it, myself included, that totally understand the delays and look forward to other projects you might only be able to pull off with crowdfunding.

NoSurprises said:
I do hope it's not soured the teams view of kickstarter? As while the wait is a pain, and people can and do (rightly so) get upset about it. I feel like there's still a large percentage of people who backed it, myself included, that totally understand the delays and look forward to other projects you might only be able to pull off with crowdfunding.

I just think that Andrew & co. just got unlucky. The fact that the dub had to be redone to be completely localised and the committee being too busy doing other things like their newest film, must have caught Anime Ltd by surprise.

At least Patema Inverted got sorted without any delay.

Yeah - bad luck, fair and square. As much as I feel for anyone who's getting frustrated with the Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter, the circumstances are certainly extenuating.

And it could be worse. I worked on some comics last year for a guy who funded them via Kickstarter. It eventually turned out that he had a prior history of defrauding people out of money which caught up with him just as he was launching his comics empire. The Kickstarter funds went on (depending who you talk to) utility bills or legal costs when he and his wife appared in court on a burglary charge.

Now, THAT'S the kind of Kickstarter drama you get upset about.

Yeah, for what it's worth I'm content waiting a bit longer for Mai Mai Miracle. People who don't mind don't tend to post about things as much as those who are upset for understandable reasons but if the JP side want it to be perfect then I'm ok with waiting.

R

Rui said:
Yeah, for what it's worth I'm content waiting a bit longer for Mai Mai Miracle. People who don't mind don't tend to post about things as much as those who are upset for understandable reasons but if the JP side want it to be perfect then I'm ok with waiting.

R

It's still frustrating for us too sadly - we want to post but I think on our end posting once X time to say no news is almost worse. We've decided to do a more frequent update until release now no matter how granular as we get how no news can be seen as frustration too.

There's light at the end of the tunnel though...!

AP

Lost all interest in that thing now. I shouldn't have backed it in hindsight, a thing I could say about every single kickstarter I've backed.

anime_andrew said:
Buzzkillington said:

Best,

AP
That's good to hear, I'm somewhat worried it becomes my new Letter to Momo in that by the time it finally arrived I had kinda lost interest, I've yet to watch that even though I constantly moaned about how long it was taking because it just took too long tbh (I'm sure I'll get to it one day).

On another note, will the collector's of Mai Mai Miracle be getting released in shops? I'd be interested in picking it up as I missed the Kickstarter at the time.

Buzzkillington said:
anime_andrew said:
Buzzkillington said:

Best,

AP
That's good to hear, I'm somewhat worried it becomes my new Letter to Momo in that by the time it finally arrived I had kinda lost interest, I've yet to watch that even though I constantly moaned about how long it was taking because it just took too long tbh (I'm sure I'll get to it one day).

On another note, will the collector's of Mai Mai Miracle be getting released in shops? I'd be interested in picking it up as I missed the Kickstarter at the time.

Alack, alas it won't be as it's an exclusive. Will see if we have any spare units left over once fulfilment is done though then figure it out :).

AP

Thanks for the Kickstarter update, I'd definitely be interested in grabbing one of the artbooks if there are any spare. Sadly I couldn't afford it originally during the KS due to money being quite tight at the time (I ended up getting the Early Bird Collector's Edition).

Psycho Pass Movie delayed until August 29, Empire of Corpses delayed until August 22. Both according to an email from Amazon.

anime_andrew said:
Buzzkillington said:

Alack, alas it won't be as it's an exclusive. Will see if we have any spare units left over once fulfilment is done though then figure it out :).

AP

That's a shame, but fair enough I guess, I'll keep an eye out and see if any spares turn up.

Your Lie in April has been delayed until late September, in so far as Amazon reckons I won't have mine until the 14-16th. Sadface :(

Back