UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'd be interested to see if having the box has any bearing on the show's sales in physical retail stores - would they be more or less willing to stock it if it's a bulkier package? I only say this as I can imagine Gundam being the kind of thing someone might casually purchase in an HMV or something as they've heard the name before.

Lutga said:
I'd be interested to see if having the box has any bearing on the show's sales in physical retail stores - would they be more or less willing to stock it if it's a bulkier package? I only say this as I can imagine Gundam being the kind of thing someone might casually purchase in an HMV or something as they've heard the name before.
I imagine it depends on the show and whether they think it'd sell. I saw Space Dandy 2's CE release on shelf in HMV Lakeside earlier, and they don't exactly have the biggest selection going.

I've put a preorder down for the Gundam sets to ensure I get that box. I was always going to buy them anyway but I was going to wait till closer to the release date to maintain financial flexibility, what with it being around christmas and all, but that box has forced my hand. I'm looking forward to having a shelf full of these Gundam boxes in a few years time.

Mangaranga said:
Lutga said:
I imagine it depends on the show and whether they think it'd sell. I saw Space Dandy 2's CE release on shelf in HMV Lakeside earlier, and they don't exactly have the biggest selection going.

Varies a lot - honestly the bigger the box, the less retail offline will take of it which is why standard editions are so important when possible actually :). Sword Art Online II I'd expect the DVD to perform much better in retail stores than online for example (vice-versa for the BD Collector's combi, but we'll see soon enough!)

Best,

AP

Updated my opening posts and gotta say, I must've completely missed the announcement of the extras for Fate/Kaleid, a 48 page artbook and tarot cards, sounds great :)

emailed about durarara bd replacement scheme but got no response, does anyone have like number or alternate email ?? Also why does Gundam dot include episode 15

windcott said:
emailed about durarara bd replacement scheme but got no response, does anyone have like number or alternate email ?? Also why does Gundam dot include episode 15

Gundam creator despises that episode and wouldn't allow it outside of Japan.

windcott said:

I believe they send confirmation emails in batches, so I'd leave it a week or so before emailing again.

Buzz201 said:
windcott said:

I believe they send confirmation emails in batches, so I'd leave it a week or so before emailing again.

I'm going to be going through requests early this coming week, so all going well expect a confirmation soon :)

EDIT - so I can touch on the Gundam question,
It's simply a case where the episode isn't available for us to include in our set. This applies to other English territories too, so it's not just our release having to leave out that episode.

NormanicGrav said:
windcott said:

Now I'm curious as to why he hated it :p

windcott said:
NormanicGrav said:
windcott said:

Now I'm curious as to why he hated it :p

I think, the reason given was because the animation and quality weren't up to his standards.

Q&A for those who want a quick recap:
[spoilerbutton]If your other sub only Blu-rays sell well, would you considering doing more Sub only releases?
Yes.

I wanted to ask if you'd consider doing a Kickstarter for satoshi Kon's last film the dreaming machine. I feel that the great director's final film deserves to be completed & considering what all the anime has already achieved, I feel that if anyone can do it right, it's all the anime!
Aww, it's really complicated as he worked on a lot of storyboards (which weren't finished). No matter how much you might want to finish the film, it wouldn't be considered his film. Project Itoh worked as they have been given instructions to finish the final piece. Andrew likes Tropic of the Sea and Opus, Satoshi Kon's manga works. Dream Machine is probably gone.

Will you ever be bringing the reanimated Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon boxsets?
Kat grins.. 'can we'. Andrew will think about it.

Since you guys are releasing ping pong the animation, is there any interest or possibility of releasing any of Masaaki Yuasa's earlier work? Such as tatami galaxy, mind game, or even Kemonozume?
Andrew would love to but there may be some issues. Tatami Galaxy was a nightmare to translate with Bandai (they talk really fast like Monogatari).

Many hardcore fans seem to import most of their titles these days, is there much the UK can do to counter that?
'Big wall, around the whole country'. The core issue is really about delivering the interest, everyone is trying and it's all about bringing it out faster and give the sets its own style. *there's a lot on this subject, even discussing about Fate/kaleid's special release*

Is there any updates on the Makoto Shinkai collection and why it's been taking so long?
Aliens. We're actually just waiting on the last parts of the material. Plans are out of our control. We'll move ahead with it. Some artwork may come up so watch this space.

is it true you guys now have the UK Fairy Tail licence?
Interesting one. Kat caught onto it on Facebook. Blindsided everyone. Andrew doesn't know anything, they're huge fans of Fairy Tail and if they do get the rights to continue they'll let people know. *It appeared due to Jerome's comments with regards to Manga not releasing the later parts*

How d’you balance packaging needs of those wanting a display piece V practical (containment/identification) needs?
Usually when they get a license they sit down and talk about it. Newer titles shouldn't get Ultimate Edition (Terror in Resonance was an example) unless they manage to get something good like OSTs (which is unlikely). Andrew would like to revisit Cowboy Bebop (not in development right now), they'll have to include the film or the OST to make it an Ultimate Edition. Gurren Lagann deserved it thanks to the amount of art available. Kat would love to have a Cardcaptor Sakura Ultimate Edition. Sailor Moon has been mentioned but Andrew wants to see a fixed version of the Blu-ray first as Blu-ray are the norm now. It's not on his radar.[/spoilerbutton]

Continuing with tradition, here's notes on all of Anime Limited Podcast #8 for anybody that doesn't have the time or can't be bothered to listen (Thanks to NormanicGrav for doing the Q&As):

[spoilerbutton]Space Dandy Season 2 is out now!!
1 week until 009 Re:Cyborg (14th September)...
  • Was licensed back in February 2013, now coming out in September 2015
  • Watch a complete unboxing here.
  • Includes 3D version
  • Front Cover has been redesigned, thanks to Kat,
  • Andrew has been paying attention to our comments on the spine designs, he feels he will never be able to please everyone, but is personally annoyed by changes in spine between volumes, so it probably won't be changing too much any time soon
  • Keith says they have been working on nanomachines that change the design to the viewer's preferences, unfortunately the project was shelved when they realised the technology didn't exist
Sword Art Online II will be released on 21st September...
  • The release was delayed as the printing company's machine that makes rigid boxes broke down
  • Seems AL were quite frustrated by the delay itself
Tokyo Ghoul is out on 28th September...
  • Andrew wants a promotional "Tokyo Pool" party, is disappointed nobody has taken him up on the idea. They tried it for Resident Evil Revelations, with a red dyed pool and a competition to swim and pick up blood and guts from the pool. The event got cancelled due to a similarly timed unfortunate incident.
  • The packaging is "AMAZING!!"
  • Definitely uncensored and uncut.
  • Kaneki in Black and White is a 27 minute long, behind the scenes look at the series' evolution and more specifically the character of Kaneki featuring the ADR team and some of the English dub VAs.
  • There may be copies at MCM Glasgow
Scotland Loves Anime is sponsored by Anime Limited
  • AP started SLA, when he at Bandai after doing the theatrical release of Sword of the Strangers. Even after starting AL, he's never quite been able to escape
  • Works with a team and is really happy about the number of premieres and exclusives
  • "Me Me Me" will be screened as part of Animator Expo, which will be a European premiere of the complete version.
  • Empire of Corpses will be shown 9 days after it's JP premiere. It's one of the favourite films Andrew has programmed that aren't his "well, yet anyway". Andrew recommends the first two books, currently available from Viz Media.
  • Andrew is buzzed about Miss Hokusai (which AL have licensed), as is Kerry and Kat, and the director and screenwriter will be at the Glasgow screening
  • Season Pass on Glasgow will include an extra mystery screening, but it will not be 5 Centimetres per Second. Kat asks what BBFC rating it has, but Andrew immediately interjects saying the festival pass is 18+ because that's what they recommend for the live action Attack on Titans films, which hasn't been BBFC'd yet. (Maybe Andrew is hinting here, but it sounds like he's just trying to shut Kat's attempt to get a hint down.)
  • Glasgow: Miss H, Empire of Corpses, The Case of Alice and Hanna, DBZ Res F, AoT live-action Parts 1 and 2 and Boruto. The kids club will be screening Letter to Momo dubbed for free
  • Edbinburugh: Miss H, Empire of Corpses, The Case of Alice and Hanna, DBZ Res F, AoT live-action Part 1 (but not part 2), Expelled from Paradise, Boruto, Naruto the Last, Love Live the Movie, AoT anime 1 and 2, Animator Expo, "Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie" (as the SLA website calls it)
  • Andrew is annoyed that Naruto the Last is not the last Naruto film as the name would imply. Keith is happy Andrew mentioned it, because he thought he was being a dick for thinking it...
  • Love Live: The Movie will be the European premiere, and it is currently the only UK screening. "Bring your glowsticks, don't ignite them during the film..."
  • Andrew has 5 picks: Miss H, Empire of Corpses, Animator Expo, Alice and Hana, Psycho-Pass: The Movie

Here's the Q&A, from NormanicGrav:
NormanicGrav said:
Q&A for those who want a quick recap:
If your other sub only Blu-rays sell well, would you considering doing more Sub only releases?
Yes.

I wanted to ask if you'd consider doing a Kickstarter for satoshi Kon's last film the dreaming machine. I feel that the great director's final film deserves to be completed & considering what all the anime has already achieved, I feel that if anyone can do it right, it's all the anime!
Aww, it's really complicated as he worked on a lot of storyboards (which weren't finished). No matter how much you might want to finish the film, it wouldn't be considered his film. Project Itoh worked as they have been given instructions to finish the final piece. Andrew likes Tropic of the Sea and Opus, Satoshi Kon's manga works. Dream Machine is probably gone.

Will you ever be bringing the reanimated Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon boxsets?
Kat grins.. 'can we'. Andrew will think about it.

Since you guys are releasing ping pong the animation, is there any interest or possibility of releasing any of Masaaki Yuasa's earlier work? Such as tatami galaxy, mind game, or even Kemonozume?
Andrew would love to but there may be some issues. Tatami Galaxy was a nightmare to translate with Bandai (they talk really fast like Monogatari).

Many hardcore fans seem to import most of their titles these days, is there much the UK can do to counter that?
'Big wall, around the whole country'. The core issue is really about delivering the interest, everyone is trying and it's all about bringing it out faster and give the sets its own style. *there's a lot on this subject, even discussing about Fate/kaleid's special release*

When it's a carbon copy of the US release what's the reason not to buy the US edition? Both Kat and Keith have designed items for releases completely different to other territories.
Kat worked on F/KLPI, she thinks the white samples of the booklet, with character concepts and key arts, and tarot cards are "pretty good quality", Andrew tells her she's doing herself a disservice and they look awesome. Unfortunately the set was condensed down from 5 Japanese volumes, they seem disappointed, but they're really happy with the release and glad they didn't copy the US/AU's "reasonably commercial standard editions". Andrew thinks you should encourage people to take a risk by giving them a clear reason to buy.
Keith is working on something similar for Terror in Resonance, which they think you should watch (currently on Netflix)

NormanicGrav said:
Is there any updates on the Makoto Shinkai collection and why it's been taking so long?
Aliens. We're actually just waiting on the last parts of the material. Plans are out of our control. We'll move ahead with it. Some artwork may come up so watch this space.

is it true you guys now have the UK Fairy Tail licence?
Interesting one. Kat caught onto it on Facebook. Blindsided everyone. Andrew doesn't know anything, they're huge fans of Fairy Tail and if they do get the rights to continue they'll let people know. *It appeared due to Jerome's comments with regards to Manga not releasing the later parts*

How d’you balance packaging needs of those wanting a display piece V practical (containment/identification) needs?
Usually when they get a license they sit down and talk about it. Newer titles shouldn't get Ultimate Edition (Terror in Resonance was an example) unless they manage to get something good like OSTs (which is unlikely). Andrew would like to revisit Cowboy Bebop (not in development right now), they'll have to include the film or the OST to make it an Ultimate Edition. Gurren Lagann deserved it thanks to the amount of art available. Kat would love to have a Cardcaptor Sakura Ultimate Edition. Sailor Moon has been mentioned but Andrew wants to see a fixed version of the Blu-ray first as Blu-ray are the norm now. It's not on his radar.
[/spoilerbutton]

Back