UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Zavvi is listing the Mobile Suit Gundam boxsets at 37.99 and 38.99 respectively - so they're already nearly 20 quid cheaper than Amazon. So, that's some better news!

AndrewJ56 said:
Zavvi is listing the Mobile Suit Gundam boxsets at 37.99 and 38.99 respectively - so they're already nearly 20 quid cheaper than Amazon. So, that's some better news!
http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=137&start=4245#p463058
KCImwM1.gif

Great podcast! I don't normally listen to dubs, but I found the behind the scenes insight quite fascinating.

Booklets w/ essays get a thumbs up from me :thumb:

And when it comes to future Sunrise titles, I've got my fingers crossed for Space Runaway Ideon (or the films at least) as I'd say it's probably the most famous of their works never to be licensed in the West because of the Eva link? Plus, it's already out in Japan on Blu-Ray so wouldn't be as difficult as some others.

P.S. I've checked and the Dynit Mobile Suit Gundam releases in Italy don't include Episode 15 either. So it looks like it has only ever appeared on the Japanese DVD/Blu-Ray releases.

Mangaranga said:
The dub track on Aniplex's release crackles/distorts a lot. If that's as a result of being a low quality audio track rather than being in the recording, I'd certainly appreciate a lossless track if it exists and you can access it.
Lossy codecs don't create distortion or crackling. If they did, I would have stuck to VHS.

Buzz201 said:
Based on Jerome Mazandarani's twitter rant the other week, there are apparently people who prefer yellow subtitles. Although, I'd personally be inclined to think they're all nutcases...
You must have missed the arguments. It's as religious a war as sub vs dub.

Buzz201 said:
No, but they appear to have spotted that some Americans have been importing the much cheaper AL releases. Which is probably why they've had to split up SAO II into 4 chunks.
Nearly all Aniplex releases come out initially in parts.

Buzz201 said:

Fate Kalied Liner Prisma Ilya - will have collector's packaging, 48p artbook, 4 key art tarot cards featuring the classes of servant. Out at the end of September. Pack shots should be out soon, but approvals haven't been done yet.

Full Metal Panic - Ultimate Edition and Second Raid coming together nicely. Currently in the first round of approvals. Currently has an aprox. 76 pg artbook focussing on the entire universe, rather than just by show.

Looks like this podcast answers some questions that were starting to bug me, felt like a lack of info for a lot of titles, thank you for posting a summary Buzz201.

Regarding the two I've singled out above I'm wondering if we have any encode news? Fate Kalied is a Sentai title and they tend to be heavily criticised for lacklustre encodes while I understand Funimations FMP encode has better materials now available? (Or could similarly be improved upon)

Regarding Fate/kaleid; Will Anime Limited be pursuing the sequels? Interested in picking up the Collector's Edition, but it feels like a waste if the other seasons/OVAs will remain unlicensed.

Also, will you be doing your own release, or is this a port from Sentai Filmworks? Not a fan of large yellow subtitles, so it'd be nice to get some intel on this! Not to mention their subtitle scripts, which i've found to be highly questionable...

DesuDayo said:
Regarding Fate/kaleid; Will Anime Limited be pursuing the sequels? Interested in picking up the Collector's Edition, but it feels like a waste if the other seasons/OVAs will remain unlicensed.

Also, will you be doing your own release, or is this a port from Sentai Filmworks? Not a fan of large yellow subtitles, so it'd be nice to get some intel on this! Not to mention their subtitle scripts, which i've found to be highly questionable...
AL said on the last podcast that somebody else has 2wei, but they didn't know who.

Rosencrantz said:
Regarding the two I've singled out above I'm wondering if we have any encode news? Fate Kalied is a Sentai title and they tend to be heavily criticised for lacklustre encodes while I understand Funimations FMP encode has better materials now available? (Or could similarly be improved upon)
Both the US and JP releases of FMP are upscales. Going by the very few comments of the JP release online, Funimation's upscale is apparently ever so slightly better. Not sure how much truth there is in that though or whether it extends to Fumoffu/TSR (The latter of which Funi were given dodgy masters to work with). I'd imagine Fate is a self author (at least subtitle wise).

Buzz201 said:
DesuDayo said:

AL said on the last podcast that somebody else has 2wei, but they didn't know who.

Well there goes the consistency! I guess Animatsu ended up with 2wei.

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:
No, but they appear to have spotted that some Americans have been importing the much cheaper AL releases. Which is probably why they've had to split up SAO II into 4 chunks.
Nearly all Aniplex releases come out initially in parts.
I meant that the UK to US importation is probably why AL has been asked to go for 4 parts instead of 3-parts (Kill la Kill) 2-parts (was planned for Aldnoah.Zero, currently TBC) or a complete series.

NormanicGrav said:
Buzz201 said:

Well there goes the consistency! I guess Animatsu ended up with 2wei.

Their entire basis for stating that seemed to be that they hadn't been offered it. I suppose it's possible it could be offered to them later on, but I think the more likely scenario is that Sentai asked to expand their territories, so AL got ditched.

Blood Lad and Fate/kaleid were obligatory sold together (as a pack) by Kadokawa in Europe, unlike the next seasons. It's very likely it that the uk rights landed in sentai's hands for season 2 & 3 (or still available).

Mangaranga said:
Both the US and JP releases of FMP are upscales. Going by the very few comments of the JP release online, Funimation's upscale is apparently ever so slightly better. Not sure how much truth there is in that though or whether it extends to Fumoffu/TSR (The latter of which Funi were given dodgy masters to work with). I'd imagine Fate is a self author (at least subtitle wise).
From what I remember, some elements of the first series of FMP were re-rendered for the BDs.

NormanicGrav said:
They reduced the price which matches what you would pay for a Monogatari arc. If you think about it, while each Monogatari arc only had a slipcover, artcards, booklet and one Blu-ray case. SAO II Set 3 will have a chipboard box, OST, two Blu-ray cases, booklet, Weiss card and a dub.

I don't care about the extras :( but it does seem like AL is trying to make it worth the money instead of charging £25 (or whatever the rrp was) for a bare bones like Manga did with series 1. The problem is I don't see this dropping much more in value and I doubt there'll be a standard AL release down the line as it's one of those series the original distributor is determined to sell for as much as possible even if it means less money & sales.

serpantino said:
I don't care about the extras :( but it does seem like AL is trying to make it worth the money instead of charging £25 (or whatever the rrp was) for a bare bones like Manga did with series 1. The problem is I don't see this dropping much more in value and I doubt there'll be a standard AL release down the line as it's one of those series the original distributor is determined to sell for as much as possible even if it means less money & sales.

I don't know, but I'm guessing there's a little bit more contractual protection for AL then just being at Aniplex of America's whims. Otherwise surely AoA would just deliberately sabotage our releases, so we imported their vastly more expensive ones.

Although, the fact AL have been able to negotiate discounted prices probably means AoA has a vague awareness that their model wouldn't work over here.

CMJIpWmWUAEtaGA.png

I didn't give the show more than a few episodes (and was talking myself out of buying every AL release), but I really like this cover. I may need to have a think...

Not seen the show itself but that's some nice artwork. Got rid of that rectangle and incorporated the spine into the artwork more slickly. Stepping up your game AL I see.

Elaniel said:
CMJIpWmWUAEtaGA.png:large

I didn't give the show more than a few episodes (and was talking myself out of buying every AL release), but I really like this cover. I may need to have a think...

Nice cover. Fits pretty well with the show's craziness. Now I'm curious to see what's on the other side of the box (another character or just the usual info?).

I liked the show, despite going way too random near the beginning (Episode 7 is where things go weird). Still a fun underrated show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on buying it (Funds allowing) but I also haven't seen the show before, I've just heard it's pretty good. It's a really nice box and it makes me more excited to get my hands on it. Interesting that there isn't a BBFC rating on the cover. Will this be on an O Card or something?

IncendiaryLemon said:
I am planning on buying it (Funds allowing) but I also haven't seen the show before, I've just heard it's pretty good. It's a really nice box and it makes me more excited to get my hands on it. Interesting that there isn't a BBFC rating on the cover. Will this be on an O Card or something?

The image we shared today is the French version of the pack shot but there'll likely be an o-card/belly band around it that will include the BBFC logo :)

Back