UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

So is it pretty much confirmed Baccano isn't coming this year then? Or Escaflowne for that matter? :( Then again, so close to Christmas I'm not even sure I'll be able to afford the stuff I wanna buy, so probably for the best we don't add to that lol

@Buzz in previous newswires they've had a statement at the bottom implying some may be added to the lineup between now and then, but looking at how busy the months are, I doubt they will, unless a November title or two is pushed in to october?

britguy said:
@Buzz in previous newswires they've had a statement at the bottom implying some may be added to the lineup between now and then, but looking at how busy the months are, I doubt they will, unless a November title or two is pushed in to october?
Andrew said during the last podcast that maybe some surprises would be added to their release schedule,,,

Yami said:
Is the Shinkai collection the oldest announcement that doesn't have a release date?

Yes.

The Place Promised In Our Early Days & Voices of a Distant Star (+ Travelling Daru short) was the 4th license acquisition from All the Anime (for those who are wondering). Fun fact: 101 Films was originally going to release this (minus the short) but they dropped it and was shortly saved by El Presidente himself.

So far 009 Re:Cyborg is the oldest acquisition (3rd license) that has yet to be released but does have a release date for September.

On the topic about Shinkai, what on earth is going on with that license? I understand (as mentioned in the last post I made a couple pages ago which got ignored anyway) that the last update was the Place Promised English dub was finally resolved, but then nothing new since.

britguy said:
Terror in Resonance is a title that we've heard nothing about since the streaming.

FUNi haven't said anything either, and AL are probably waiting on them. How annoying would it be for AL if they put out a sub-only release and then FUNi announced they were dubbing it?

I wonder if they'd benefit by having a section for "to be released... someday". Maybe there's a particular reason they don't want to do that but if they've confirmed something is getting a release then I'd think there'd have to be some unusual circumstances to stop it. It'd save them having to give out occasional reminders that things are still to come, although I suppose it could also end up being a big list.

I guess in the end you don't really want to be reminding people about them and instead focus heir attention to what you have coming out soon and what they can buy and get their hands on in the near future.

Smeelia said:
I wonder if they'd benefit by having a section for "to be released... someday". Maybe there's a particular reason they don't want to do that but if they've confirmed something is getting a release then I'd think there'd have to be some unusual circumstances to stop it. It'd save them having to give out occasional reminders that things are still to come, although I suppose it could also end up being a big list.

Probably because they don't want to be tied down to anything, until it's 100%, and people get pissy if you promise or even vaguely suggest something you then can't deliver.

Also, if they're sub-licensing from and distributing for other companies (such as the Gundam deal or the rumoured FUNimation deal or potentially Aniplex of America*) they might have to follow their release plans and schedules, so it may not be down to them.

*Aniplex of America's first outside acquisition, GOD EATER (from Bandai Visual) seems to cover the entire English-speaking world, in addition to Central and Southern America. They're probably going to want to sub-licence it to somebody, and it doesn't seem like an MVM title.

I just meant for things they've already confirmed really, titles don't often seem to be announced at all until the deal is basically done (as I understand it anyway). Staying quiet just makes people uneasy that the title has been forgotten or something has gone wrong, at least if it's always there in the list then it might reassure people. I don't think people would feel any worse having seen it in a list then being told that it won't happen after all than if they'd heard nothing for ages before it was cancelled.

They could even just keep the list on the site somewhere and put a link to it in the newswire, though maybe that would be less reassuring than having them copy the list each time. On the plus side, it'd help them avoid those moments where a title is accidentally left off the list and they have to explain it.

I would be pretty sad if any license was cancelled. Don't some licenses need to be renewed too? I'm sure MvM said they had to renew FLCL every single year.

It especially scares me with something like Escaflowne as its such a big project and it sounds like it's pretty much being made from scratch. Appreciate it takes a long time, but heck, the anime industry changes a lot in even a couple of years.

Even if they go to great pains to explain the list is completely unconfirmed, there'll still be at least one dickhat who didn't get the message (or who did get the message and wants to attack them over it anyway), there always is.

When they announced the Aldnoah.Zero licence, the very first comment was "Please reconsider", fortunately they took it in good humour...

NormanicGrav said:
Yami said:
Is the Shinkai collection the oldest announcement that doesn't have a release date?

Yes.

The Place Promised In Our Early Days & Voices of a Distant Star (+ Travelling Daru short) was the 4th license acquisition from All the Anime (for those who are wondering). Fun fact: 101 Films was originally going to release this (minus the short) but they dropped it and was shortly saved by El Presidente himself.

So far 009 Re:Cyborg is the oldest acquisition (3rd license) that has yet to be released but does have a release date for September.

On the topic about Shinkai, what on earth is going on with that license? I understand (as mentioned in the last post I made a couple pages ago which got ignored anyway) that the last update was the Place Promised English dub was finally resolved, but then nothing new since.

I seem to remember Andrew saying that he was trying to put together Complete Works set, which would understandably be difficult but it would be good to get some news soon. I've held off of buying Garden of Words in anticipation and I'm starting to wonder if it'll come to fruition at all...

I think realistically there's always a possibility that something could go wrong and a release just doesn't manage to happen in time. I guess it's a pretty complicated process. I try to be prepared, I just hope it doesn't happen with the Nichijou Ultimate Edition. You know, after they announce that.

Buzz201 said:
Even if they go to great pains to explain the list is completely unconfirmed, there'll still be at least one dickhat who didn't get the message (or who did get the message and wants to attack them over it anyway), there always is.

When they announced the Aldnoah.Zero licence, the very first comment was "Please reconsider", fortunately they took it in good humour...
I don't think you could stop people complaining altogether (if you did I'm not sure it'd be the internet anymore) but it might help people feel they don't have to ask about a particular show they haven't heard about for a while (at least, they might feel they don't need to ask as often).

"Unofficial" lists exist for the titles that companies have anyway so having their own official list probably wouldn't hurt. I guess some people will hold it against them if something does go wrong but those people would most likely have complained anyway.

Yami said:
I seem to remember Andrew saying that he was trying to put together Complete Works set, which would understandably be difficult but it would be good to get some news soon. I've held off of buying Garden of Words in anticipation and I'm starting to wonder if it'll come to fruition at all...
I hope you've at least watched Garden of Words, it's worth it on it's own and would be worth double dipping for.

I haven't because, as I said, I decided to wait and then I kinda forgot about it. I'm a huge Shinkai fan though - I'd probably put 5cm per second in my top 10 animated films of all time and Place Promised wouldn't be far behind it. Wasn't a huge fan of Children Who Chase Lost Voices - if felt to me like Shinkai was trying to be Miyazaki to his detriment.

Rightstuf have officially confirmed their MSG release is due for November 3rd, so if anything Anime Limited could release theirs as soon as the first half of November.

Their extra features include Clean Opening and Closing, and Blu-ray and DVD Commercials with $74.99 price tag for BD, so if anything Anime Limited's pricing for the set is just about right, especially when they'll probably give it a much better design and packaging.

I believe AL have been saying they expect to have Gundam day and date with the US release, so probably the 3rd, maybe the 9th if retailers can't handle a Tuesday release...

qaiz said:
I didn't like Garden of Words at all :(
I didn't know I had a foot fetish until I watched Garden of Words.

I'm not sure if I could explain exactly why I like it, I do know that I enjoyed it even more the second time I watched it (a little while ago). I guess I liked the characters, feelings and all that stuff. The art is pretty good too, though I guess that's also subjective.

I could see why some people might not like it. I think your personal experiences and beliefs are probably going to be a larger factor with this kind of film than most too.

Yami said:
I haven't because, as I said, I decided to wait and then I kinda forgot about it. I'm a huge Shinkai fan though - I'd probably put 5cm per second in my top 10 animated films of all time and Place Promised wouldn't be far behind it. Wasn't a huge fan of Children Who Chase Lost Voices - if felt to me like Shinkai was trying to be Miyazaki to his detriment.
To be fair, I don't think I've watched any other Shinkai films. I don't pay a lot of attention to directors and such really, I'm not sure if it's a good habit or a bad one.

NormanicGrav said:
Rightstuf have officially confirmed their MSG release is due for November 3rd, so if anything Anime Limited could release theirs as soon as the first half of November.

Their extra features include Clean Opening and Closing, and Blu-ray and DVD Commercials with $74.99 price tag for BD, so if anything Anime Limited's pricing for the set is just about right, especially when they'll probably give it a much better design and packaging.
That's interesting, it does sound like we could end up with a release that is both cheaper and better (superficially, at least).

Back