UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Buzz201 said:
DesuDayo said:
I don't see why Aniplex would lock out the DRRR!!x2 OVAs, have they done something simliar before?
No, but they appear to have spotted that some Americans have been importing the much cheaper AL releases. Which is probably why they've had to split up SAO II into 4 chunks.

I believe the whole 'multiple parts' concept that Aniplex have been doing is not because of the sales but rather two things - the speed in which they're bringing out the sets, and reverse importation.

The earlier the show is released, the more parts they will have to counter the Japanese sets: Kill la Kill Box 1 (of 5) was released in July '15, 4 months after the last episode had aired. And Nisekoi Volume 1 (of 4) was released in November '14, 6 months after the last episodes had aired.

Though there are exceptions to this rule, Fate/stay night being an example as Japan have released the BD-Boxes for each season rather than volumes.

--

So pretty much if Aniplex had waited, then we wouldn't have to put up buying multiple parts.

Buzz201 said:
Lavigne said:
Must admit I really want to see AZ. I want to wait for the AL release. Thankfully the high price tag/low episode count of the US set makes the wait for tolerable!

Maybe don't get too excited? The general consensus is it's a watchable show that starts great and devolves into an absolute mess.

I'd be inclined to agree, but I liked it more than most. My particular favourite moment, was when the show abandoned it's established love triangle to marry the princess off to somebody she'd only really just met, in exchange for his support in the middle of battle. That felt like such a F you to people that had been watching for the 18 previous episodes, was kinda funny though...

black1blade said:
So Q4 is dec, jan, feb, mar?
Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec. But I'm assuming that was a joke that I have now ruined...
No don't worry, I was just having a brain fart XD. So that means that baccano will be out by christmas :D ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lutga said:
There's also the issue of translation costs - for booklets and on disc extras etc.

I'm pretty sure I've read that even if a piece is commissioned for a booklet, it then has to be translated from English to Japanese for the licensor's approval. Which seems mad to me.

But I do love a big booklet, especially if there's a lack of on-disc extras. I don't know what was in the books that came with the Italian Gundam sets, but there's certainly no shortage of written material by Yoshiyuki Tomino. His autobiography And So I...The Road to Gundam is something I'd love to read, but the chances of if ever getting a translation are slim I suppose.

Same goes for Isao Takahata's two 'Thoughts While Making Movies' books and Satoshi Kon's 'Kon's Tone'.

Buzz201 said:
Lavigne said:
Must admit I really want to see AZ. I want to wait for the AL release. Thankfully the high price tag/low episode count of the US set makes the wait for tolerable!

Maybe don't get too excited? The general consensus is it's a watchable show that starts great and devolves into an absolute mess.

I'd be inclined to agree, but I liked it more than most. My particular favourite moment, was when the show abandoned it's established love triangle to marry the princess off to somebody she'd only really just met, in exchange for his support in the middle of battle. That felt like such a F you to people that had been watching for the 18 previous episodes, was kinda funny though...

I'll try to manage my expectations! :D

Heard something similar about Guilty Crown though and I really enjoyed that, so fingers crossed :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
black1blade said:
No don't worry, I was just having a brain fart XD. So that means that baccano will be out by christmas :D ?

I think some are scheduled for December 28th, but I can't remember if Baccano was on that list or not.

Buzz201 said:
I think some are scheduled for December 28th, but I can't remember if Baccano was on that list or not.

I hope it isn't a placeholder. It would be an excellent release day (my birthday lol). :lol:

fabricatedlunatic said:
October to December, shirley, unless Q means something other than quarter.

Although some of those releases are due out in September, sooo...
No Q does mean Quarter, I was being stupid. :oops:

So there's a new AL podcast up, here's the highlights (not neccesarily in chronological order). Probably including stuff that's already been announced:
http://blog.alltheanime.com/podcast7/

• Shock horror, it's actually sunny in Glasgow
  • Keith Copping has joined the AL team
  • Andrew Partridge has been cheating on anime with BoJack Horseman
  • AL struggled recently in Belfast, when no stock arrived, they tore the entire hotel apart for the weekend then realised it hadn't been sent correctly.
  • AL will next appear at MCM Glasgow, things are planned. Stay tuned for details...

Meet Keith:
"Who are you? And why do you want to know things about me? You weirdo..."
  • He has a beard, He is ginger, He is outwardly ageless but inwardly he is a cynical old man
  • Keith's Favourite Anime: FLCL, Evangelion (including the ending - all of them. Keith considers the last 2 episodes as being from inside Shinji's head, and the films as the same events but from the real world's perspective), Akira. More recently, Kill la Kill.
  • Keith's first anime VHS was Ghost in the Shell, Jeremy's was the animated Street Fighter II film.

Stephanie will be producing the English dub of Mai Mai Miracle:
  • It has almost been fully cast.
  • Casting has been quite difficult, as it involves working with a lot of children, who have to express a range of emotions.
  • Very low numbers of adults, but there is a significant turtle, and all 4 children are leads.
  • It will not adapt the original Japan's folksy style, as they tried a first draft, and it did not work.
  • It's hard to find children that can act and meet the demands of a long recording session.
  • Anime often uses adults, as hiring children is too expensive for licensors to do. Legal requirements mean it's much harder to record with children in California.
  • Casting is difficult, and often goes to multiples rounds, as agencies are often unwilling to show their client low-paying anime jobs
  • Her proudest project is Earnest and Celestine, and the kids were amazing
  • They (her and her dub production partner) are making it harder for themselves to work with, but they're doing it to make the project as good as possible
  • Stephanie doesn't feel like she's changed since becoming Sailor Moon, but the way people treat her has. She's hounded by conventions, but would rather stay at home, because she's too busy fighting evil.
  • She appreciates convention, but feels slightly awkward when people come up to her.
  • Stephanie likes Sailor Moon, as she's been able to do it fairly quickly, and might be back for more Crystal (but doesn't know anything yet)
  • Stephanie doesn't know how Naruto ended, because she hasn't seen it.
  • Stephanie doesn't like scriptwriting that much, and got so exhausted she couldn't sit down for fear of falling asleep when she used to do it

Ping Pong: The Animation - will be released October time.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad - Will be released as a single boxset, in early November

Fate Kalied Liner Prisma Ilya - will have collector's packaging, 48p artbook, 4 key art tarot cards featuring the classes of servant. Out at the end of September. Pack shots should be out soon, but approvals haven't been done yet.

Full Metal Panic - Ultimate Edition and Second Raid coming together nicely. Currently in the first round of approvals. Currently has an aprox. 76 pg artbook focussing on the entire universe, rather than just by show.

Tokyo Ghoul - Collector's Edition is strictly limited to 1,000 units. They seem surprised it only got a 15 from the BBFC.

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM - will not include episode 15, Andrew vaguely implies that their MSG release will be a direct port of the US release or at least the contents will have to match. Tomino doesn't want to acknowledge the episode exists, because the animation is poor and it hasn't ever been corrected. Andrew wants to do a box for both parts, but it's up to Sunrise. Andrew is aiming to do a booklet, with a film essay (in the style of EUREAKA! and the BFI's releases) Part 1 will be released late October, early November all going well. Aiming to be day and date with US release, but can't confirm second part's release date until Rightstuf do.

The Sunrise partnership only covers Gundam, everything else has to be licensed separately, but AL has a good relationship with them and there's a lot of titles Andrew would love to re-release. Andrew says that the partnership is much more conversational and collaborative than a traditional licence.

Some really interesting stuff from Stephanie - although it does make me wish someone would finally rescue Sailor Moon and give it the release it deserves in the UK. Appreciate it was way, way bigger in the States than it ever was over here, but it still feels silly that one of anime's most enduringly popular, well known franchises remains OOP here.

Also, re. Sunrise - picking up some of their other older stuff like the Five Star Stories movie (ADV put it out in the States back in the day) would be a dream.

Buzz201 said:
AL struggled recently in Belfast, when no stock arrived, they tore the entire hotel apart for the weekend then realised it hadn't been sent correctly
That was in Dublin not Befast. Happened at Nom-Con at the start of the month.

britguy said:
Japanese £180 release vs £35 UK release....I think it's easy to see why the Japanese release has much more. I'm happy with what AL are releasing, plus it's all down to the owners of the license in Japan at the end of the day and what the committee allow them to have.

Basically comes down to available materials - didn't have enough to reconstruct Ping Pong to that degree and sadly whilst an amazing show, it's not going to shift the dial enough to get away with a £79.99 - £99.99 SRP that would justify recreating the Japanese release (as much as I want to :( ).

AP

sniper_samurai said:
Buzz201 said:
AL struggled recently in Belfast, when no stock arrived, they tore the entire hotel apart for the weekend then realised it hadn't been sent correctly
That was in Dublin not Befast. Happened at Nom-Con at the start of the month.

We also had a fantastic time in Dublin still, so could be worse!

AP

Jatz said:
Buzz201 said:

I hope it isn't a placeholder. It would be an excellent release day (my birthday lol). :lol:

Hoping for sooner, it's moving at full speed now anyway so I can't really complain! Approvals nearly done and with contract signed, authoring can start now so if I am really lucky, I may have advanced stock for MCM October and a release for November...!

AP

Mangaranga said:
Buzz201 said:
Ping Pong and Tokyo Ghoul are probably just ports of the US release, so that probably sped things up a lot.
I do have to wonder if that's the case for Baccano too considering last we heard I'm sure it was only going to be two discs. The disc count now matches that of AoA's release, but outside of Blue Exorcist (and Durarara!! A/V wise at least), AoA releases outside the US never seem to use the same masters.

Baccano will be 3 discs from us and authored on our end :).

AP

anime_andrew said:
Baccano will be 3 discs from us and authored on our end :).

AP
Good to hear the gears are in motion for Baccano and FMP. I'll be pre-ordering most of your Q3/4 slate. It's been at least a whole month since I bought an Anime Limited title. I think I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms :D

Oh Good God... Now Baccano is confirmed Q4?! I imagine Andrew is cracking that whip. There are so many titles! :)

I realized my Amex annual cashback is paid at the start of October, so it will definitely ease the pain of spending so much money with AL.

I wonder if Psychic School Wars has been pushed to next year?

Back