UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Just heard plastic memories is using the Hanabee discs for £30 a set why did this take so long as the CE looks poor by AL standards and I thought at least AoA discs but nope so won’t be buying that even on sale.

Just heard plastic memories is using the Hanabee discs for £30 a set why did this take so long as the CE looks poor by AL standards and I thought at least AoA discs but nope so won’t be buying that even on sale.

I was thinking about getting the AL Plastic Memories collectors edition as United Publications have it for £23.99 for each part (still expensive for a 13 episode series, but what can you do).

What is wrong with the set?

Do you think there will be a standard edition as I don't really care about the extra stuff?

It’s the same price as the SAO alt sets and those had digipacks and quite big books and biggest of all of the AoA authors. So comparing like for like this falls majorly short with no books or digipacks before even the Hanabee discs with they aren’t great at authoring

It’s the same price as the SAO alt sets and those had digipacks and quite big books and biggest of all of the AoA authors. So comparing like for like this falls majorly short with no books or digipacks before even the Hanabee discs with they aren’t great at authoring

You mean compression (authoring is building the disc and making sure when you press a button it works, while compression is the actual encoding or compression of the video). But yeah, for the price they should at least have clones of the AoA discs- why spend that much on a series (over two releases) and settle with poor encodes?

No, but I’ve seen the quality of stuff like Alonoah zero and UBW and also some of the monogatari sets and none are as good as AOA’s discs and the sub font is worse. If AL can use AoA discs on a set that costs the same price why should I settle for less for the same price? It’s not just the discs but the lack of book really annoyed me I only buy CEs for booklets these days and no digipacks make it look low effort.

If AL can use AoA discs on a set that costs the same price
AoA was $ 180 SRP / $ 140 regular at Right Stuf - so approx £ 130 incl tax (+ aditional shipping)
AL is £ 80 SRP / £ 70 regular in their store / £ 56 currently at Anime on Line / £ 59 currently at Amazon UK

So even if you don't include shipping and handling fees, it's not even half the price of the AoA set.

AoA was $ 180 SRP / $ 140 regular at Right Stuf - so approx £ 130 incl tax (+ aditional shipping)
AL is £ 80 SRP / £ 70 regular in their store / £ 56 currently at Anime on Line / £ 59 currently at Amazon UK

So even if you don't include shipping and handling fees, it's not even half the price of the AoA set.
But we deserve the AoA discs at a fraction of the cost. And when we don’t get them, we need to complain as much as possible and boycott the UK release.

MqixGHT.gif

But I meant SAO Alt was the set that used AoA discs and was same price as this that uses inferior discs.

At least we got a UK release, Its one less thing for me to keep asking about lol

Disk I dont mind about to be honest, I've watched a few Hanabee releases and think they're fine. £46 for an Australian set with Artbox is about £6 more than I would like to pay, but whatever, Its been 4 years so about time for a rewatch.

As for the whole AoA vs Hanabee, my computer screen is hardly color accurate so unless its artifact hell then I'm happy. Either way I dont buy AoA sets anymore as they're kinda cheap for the price imo

My problem is it took 5 years and we got this some low effort release. It’s disappointing because it took so long, I owned the AoAs set then sold them because it was good but not that good. It’s make me more worried about the other long gestation releases cough Violet Evergarden or missing part 2s like Ballroom, I used to be excited by these releases and still have been I only mention SAO alt as I think it’s an amazing set for the price considering the AoA Restriction of 6 eps.

Have either of you even seen what discs look like? Genuine question.
No. I will admit that. However, Hanabee is really bad at compression and unless they suddenly change their compressionist(s), then it will most likely be poor. Is it possible it isn't a disaster. 100% absolutely. But, it seems unlikely.

My problem is it took 5 years and we got this some low effort release. It’s disappointing because it took so long, I owned the AoAs set then sold them because it was good but not that good. It’s make me more worried about the other long gestation releases cough Violet Evergarden or missing part 2s like Ballroom, I used to be excited by these releases and still have been I only mention SAO alt as I think it’s an amazing set for the price considering the AoA Restriction of 6 eps.
Violet Evergarden is taking longer due to the garbage Netflix subs and the fact that the Madman discs aren't using the extended versions of the episodes.

Nope, the last episode is a couple of minutes longer and there's also changes to which OST tracks are used in other episodes in various scenes. Some episodes that didn't have the OP/ED during the broadcast now have it on the home video version so there's some mismatch there as well.

First I've heard of "extended" versions of the episodes. Must.. Know.. Moar... Extended from what was in the Netflix broadcast? Or does the madman release cut out scenes from the Netflix broadcast? I wonder if the extended eps are on the JP Blu-ray releases I imported, but which are not English friendly?

I do know the first two episodes of the Netflix broadcasts, and a couple other eps further in, left out the OP or ED or both, mainly for emotional impact. I really wouldn't want them added back in. I guess I ought to open my Madman set and watch it, to see what they did to the episodes compared to the Netflix broadcast.

Last edited:
Back