UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

BlackStrat said:
I think it does. I mean, isn't the whole point of having the French tracks on the UK release to have the same discs for the two countries?

Good point. I was going off the FR spec. I would assume they are the same then unless there was something like a timing issue with the FR dub or sub on our pressing that we didn't hear about...

msgeek said:
BlackStrat said:
I think it does. I mean, isn't the whole point of having the French tracks on the UK release to have the same discs for the two countries?

Good point. I was going off the FR spec. I would assume they are the same then unless there was something like a timing issue with the FR dub or sub on our pressing that we didn't hear about...
They are the same discs.

anime_andrew said:
HdE said:
Well, that puts paid to me ever owning Kill La Kill. Three sets for a standard edition is a complete joke.

The point on the Anime Limited blog about online retailers further discounting the price is all well and good, but unless they HALVE the RRP of those sets, the show still sits squarely in the bracket I define as unaffordable. I'm not paying over £40 for ANY show. Let alone over multiple volumes.

I imagine not half, but you should be able to get it for around £50 for the whole show given a bit :). Working with things as we can here.

I appreciate that, Andrew - and I'd like to be clear that my irritation lies squarely with Aniplex and not you guys.

I have to say that the standard editions are appearing earlier than I expected. So I can see a positive there.

anime_andrew said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Doesn't look like it, unfortunately.

You never know...returns are an impressive thing from retail sometimes.

AP
So it seems seing as Gurrrn Lagann UE for £40 is todays deal.

Would grab it if I didn't already have it.

Hoping for a preorder deal on G Reco or Gundam part 2 tomorrow.

The discussion in the animatsu thread about a potential new line from ANime Limited for shows that don't quite fit their bill for collectors editions, makes me sad. I want everything to be the minimum of a collectors edition :(

Ah well, that's just me as a fan/collector, and not thinking as a business man, but still :(

Are there not shows that you want to own but you wouldn't want to shell out loads for? I know I could think of a few shows that fall into that. For example, Himouto Umaru Chan that just aired. Would I buy it? Sure. Would I spend £50+ on a big fancy edition. Probably not without some big price cuts. I think there is definitely room for both.

britguy said:
The discussion in the animatsu thread about a potential new line from ANime Limited for shows that don't quite fit their bill for collectors editions, makes me sad. I want everything to be the minimum of a collectors edition :(

Ah well, that's just me as a fan/collector, and not thinking as a business man, but still :(
I personally think some series' might actually be more suited for standard, barebones releases than the usual pretty Collector's Editions; mainly titles that have have broader appeal and have fans more willing to buy cheaper releases. I could see Assassination Classroom falling into this category.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Are there not shows that you want to own but you wouldn't want to shell out loads for? I know I could think of a few shows that fall into that. For example, Himouto Umaru Chan that just aired. Would I buy it? Sure. Would I spend £50+ on a big fancy edition. Probably not without some big price cuts. I think there is definitely room for both.

It's collectors or nothing for me :p (hyperbole, i'm sure i'd buy standard it that's all there is, just that i'd be disappointed. Hopefully the RRP will match the bare bones nature of prospective releases)

Not watching anime prior to buying, I wouldnt even know the quality of the shows, so I'm buying blind anyway.

Joshawott said:
I personally think some series' might actually be more suited for standard, barebones releases than the usual pretty Collector's Editions; mainly titles that have have broader appeal and have fans more willing to buy cheaper releases. I could see Assassination Classroom falling into this category.

I actually think both could exist concurrently, but i'm not an expert.

But then isn't having a collector's edition for a broader appeal show a smart business move?

There's so many factors, it's all very interesting.

Even some smaller shows you can argue a collector's edition. You do a standard edition as the show may not "warrant" a collector's edition. Yet the other side of the argument is, you appeal to the smaller fanbase, by offering them a nice edition to not only encourage them to buy the show, but also appeal to collector's who may not look at the show if it was just a standard edition.

I can think of a fair few shows where it's unlikely people would want a CE. I know it's not an AL title but something like Samurai Bride (which I own, in the interest of transparency :D) is more of a 'filler' show which very few people would be excited enough to buy a CE for. Gimmicky tat like the infamous Shuffle! panties perhaps, since the bundle would make a fun gift that way, but the kind of people who would get excited about some of the more intelligent bonus material for that kind of show probably bought the JP version long ago. And number in the double digits at best in this country.

Niche slice of life shows, weird comedies, artsy psychological shows, high quality action; I can imagine all of these having a hardcore paying audience who would support a special edition. Even shounen titles can probably drum up enough interest to shift CEs - the younger audience will go for cheap editions but the older, richer young-at-heart fans are still out there buying up Viz's premium Naruto manga wooden boxes and other wallet-killing goodies.

R

Rui said:
I can think of a fair few shows where it's unlikely people would want a CE. I know it's not an AL title but something like Samurai Bride (which I own, in the interest of transparency :D) is more of a 'filler' show which very few people would be excited enough to buy a CE for. Gimmicky tat like the infamous Shuffle! panties perhaps, since the bundle would make a fun gift that way, but the kind of people who would get excited about some of the more intelligent bonus material for that kind of show probably bought the JP version long ago. And number in the double digits at best in this country.

Niche slice of life shows, weird comedies, artsy psychological shows, high quality action; I can imagine all of these having a hardcore paying audience who would support a special edition. Even shounen titles can probably drum up enough interest to shift CEs - the younger audience will go for cheap editions but the older, richer young-at-heart fans are still out there buying up Viz's premium Naruto manga wooden boxes and other wallet-killing goodies.

R

I'd just rather not see them license titles that don't fit the collectors bill and leave the rest between Manga and MVM, but I suppose that's leaving cash on the table if you're AL so I can see why they'd want to expand in to that market.

I usually see AL as licensors of good to excellent anime, I wouldn't want to see them start licensing fan service crap :lol:

Rui said:

R

Couldn't agree more :)

britguy said:
I'd just rather not see them license titles that don't fit the collectors bill and leave the rest between Manga and MVM, but I suppose that's leaving cash on the table if you're AL so I can see why they'd want to expand in to that market.

I usually see AL as licensors of good to excellent anime, I wouldn't want to see them start licensing fan service crap :lol:

Chaos Dragon says hello :wink:
(though to give A/L some slack, they had no idea it'd be so universally panned)

Speaking of Chaos Dragon, they'd be struggling for sales in the collectors market for that title, but within the casual you maybe able to shift the show. The name sounds badass, the keyart looks great & if a more casual fans spots the DVD/BD for 15 quid, they're more likely to purchase. I doubt the collectors market (whom in my experience are generally more picky) would spend 35-40 quid on such a show for such an edition to be worth it's cost.

britguy said:
Rui said:

R

Nothing wrong with a bit of fan service. Variety is the spice of life etc.....

crashmatt said:

Indeed, and as said, I can understand why AL might go this route, plenty more cash out there for them if they get the right shows for the right model. Maybe Fairy Tail will be one of their first standard releases :eek:

(pure speculation seeing as Manga will no longer be doing them and based on AL relationship with FUnimation..)

britguy said:
crashmatt said:

Indeed, and as said, I can understand why AL might go this route, plenty more cash out there for them if they get the right shows for the right model. Maybe Fairy Tail will be one of their first standard releases :eek:

(pure speculation seeing as Manga will no longer be doing them and based on AL relationship with FUnimation..)

The main problem with Ecchi/fanservice shows is that they have a low rewatch factor. There are honestly only a handful of Ecchi shows I would consider buying. Shows like Sekirei, DXD, HSOTD and Freezing are the best of the bunch. They all have decent storyline s and characters. Prison school is a more recent example. I thing the key is to pick the best of the genre if and when they are available.

crashmatt said:
britguy said:
crashmatt said:

The main problem with Ecchi/fanservice shows is that they have a low rewatch factor. There are honestly only a handful of Ecchi shows I would consider buying. Shows like Sekirei, DXD, HSOTD and Freezing are the best of the bunch. They all have decent storyline s and characters. Prison school is a more recent example. I thing the key is to pick the best of the genre if and when they are available.

To Love Ru might do well in the sales (Shonen Jump + Ecchi madness) however the problem lies with the BBFC due to the lewd-ness of Darkness Season 1 & 2.

Anime Limited should get Tenchi Muyo!, that show's a classic ecchi/harem which fits their catalogue very well plus the Blu-rays are stunning.

There are non-ecchi shows that people probably wouldn't buy CEs of, like the previously mentioned Fairy Tail or any recent Toei series (that isn't Dragon Ball), or the poorly received but not bad Rinne.

I wouldn't buy a CE of Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign either, but that's more to do with the fact the series has no depth, so is unlikely to have any interesting critical writing or interviews, and isn't visually interesting. Although, based on the fact they only have digital rights for Arslan, AL might not have SotE.

Buzz201 said:
There are non-ecchi shows that people probably wouldn't buy CEs of, like the previously mentioned Fairy Tail or any recent Toei series (that isn't Dragon Ball), or the poorly received but not bad Rinne.

I wouldn't buy a CE of Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign either, but that's more to do with the fact the series has no depth, so is unlikely to have any interesting critical writing or interviews, and isn't visually interesting. Although, based on the fact they only have digital rights for Arslan, AL might not have SotE.

Id have a Ce of SMC thats very recent.

Back