UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Well either way with that revelation about a collectors edition for macross plus in the English territories not being certain I just pre ordered the UE
Played right into their hands 😂

I'm calling BS on no edition like the French one (blu ray sized rigid box, 2 scanavo cases, 64pg artbook! That's literally perfect).
They just wanna pump the sales on the ultimate.
IF it hits the October date they'll announce the collectors for the Xmas sale.

I'm calling BS on no edition like the French one (blu ray sized rigid box, 2 scanavo cases, 64pg artbook! That's literally perfect).
The UK has a lot assigned to it (much more than the 100 the French have), the CR Store announced it was limited to 5,000 copies. I'd take it wanting to shift that.

the other comment about is that a standard will be available eventually in the coming months, for the movie.

if you're like me and want the OVAs (and their extras), its the UE or nothing for the time being.
I would like to the see the disc holders first before anything else, in a few months.

It's like what they do with hardback books sometimes. They will release the hardback version first as it's more expensive and won't release the cheaper paperback version for 8-12 months or so to get sales up on the hardback.

Most people would go the cheaper option if they had a choice.

It's like what they do with hardback books sometimes. They will release the hardback version first as it's more expensive and won't release the cheaper paperback version for 8-12 months or so to get sales up on the hardback.

Most people would go the cheaper option if they had a choice.
It's what they did with Evangelion, UE only! what's that it's sold out? Well would you look at that we've already got a CE signed off ready to go 😂

I could possibly see it being something that's tied to the US part of no English version for the poors yet 🤷‍♂️

I 100% believe if this sells out you'll get a 'did I say no CE for 12 months? I meant 12 weeks...'.
You'd literally be pricing out all but the most hardcore fans in the biggest sales period.
But AL do make some baffling decisions sometimes 🤔

I’ve never seen either, so probably a dumb question… is the OVA version much different from the Movie? Is there a generally preferred watching option?

It's what they did with Evangelion, UE only! what's that it's sold out? Well would you look at that we've already got a CE signed off ready to go 😂

I could possibly see it being something that's tied to the US part of no English version for the poors yet 🤷‍♂️

I 100% believe if this sells out you'll get a 'did I say no CE for 12 months? I meant 12 weeks...'.
You'd literally be pricing out all but the most hardcore fans in the biggest sales period.
But AL do make some baffling decisions sometimes 🤔

Yeah if it's a high demand product and it sells out, why wouldn't they make a regular CE? It'll print money if that many people want it.

It's not like AL are known for producing super limited runs of things, are they?

Yeah if it's a high demand product and it sells out, why wouldn't they make a regular CE? It'll print money if that many people want it.

It's not like AL are known for producing super limited runs of things, are they?
The only thing i could think of was the way Hanners phrased it of 'No English collector's edition for at least 12 months' kinda implies it's a contractual thing.
Probably tied to preventing reverse Japanese imports of a cheaper version 🤷‍♂️ if they're gonna reverse import they want the big bag dammit!!

I’ve never seen either, so probably a dumb question… is the OVA version much different from the Movie? Is there a generally preferred watching option?
IMO, the OAVs are better, since the pacing has the breathing room to spend more time with the characters. Despite having some of the best aerial action scenes ever animated, Plus is primarily a character drama.

The one exception is the final OAV, since most of the new and replacement material in the movie is added to that. I tend to watch the first three OAVs, then switch to the final quarter of the movie. That said, I have mixed feelings about one scene they changed near the end of the movie version. Without getting into spoilers, it's a pivotal moment that plays in a sombre, understated way in the OAV and becomes jarringly gruesome in the movie.

I really wish it had been a regular CE as well. Sick of these giant irregular boxes. While it's annoying that they don't fit on the shelf it's far worse that the discs don't have a standard case. Really dislike the "discs in a book" method or worse yet the stupid spindle things like in the Eva ultimate edition. Every time one of these odd sized ultimate editions come out without a standard Amaray inside people complain and yet they don't listen. At one point they did that Wolf's Rain ultimate edition which had the smaller "standard sized" collector's box inside.

SEED Freedom is out in Japan on 25th December, English subs on disc. Hence willing to bet it'll be another import release for AL, with a potential domestic edition in 2025.

The idea of UE or even CE only releases always rubs me the wrong way, the collectors sets are fine when they are optional but forcing people to buy a CE just to watch the show is taking the mick, let alone an ultimate edition that costs almost the same as 3 AAA games or a boatload of indie games that’ll offer far more value than a few episodes of an anime, however good it may be, not to mention how much space it takes up and the fact that it’s limited nature puts pressure on people to buy it for the ridiculously high price.

All this wouldn’t be an issue if a standard edition was made available as well; at that price I’d honestly recommend finding a different anime to watch at a price that won’t empty your wallet and take the wallet itself for good measure.

Back