UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

That's why I'll always champion CEX, eBay, Vinted, and other second hand marketplaces to pick up anime Blu-rays or DVDs. I've picked up some absolute bargains on there - 26 episodes for £10, for example. I actually managed to pick up Log Horizon seasons 1 to 3 for £33 total on CEX/Vinted today; which equates to 62 episodes or about 53p an episode.

I think what MVM do with their DOTW is amazing as well - a weekly Blu-ray for £10/£15, a great way for people to start collecting cheaply and try out new shows without breaking their wallet.

Buying the latest anime Blu-rays on release day is a very expensive hobby to have nowadays unfortunately. You kind of have to collect the cheaper, older stuff first and wait for the new stuff to become older and cheaper!
Bear in mind that the more limited stuff only gets more expensive when it goes OOP, I’d say the best deals I’ve ever gotten on anime are on the MVM clearance and Christmas sales, the AL Christmas sales and the Madman summer sale………… which happened in January………….
I think Frosty the snowman was looking a bit watery while I was getting my copy of One Piece Film Z, for just a few quid IIRC, mind the import fees weren’t ideal but I ordered it with a few others that were also an absolute bargain and I’d honestly say that the deals I got there were fantastic, but it is good to know that there’s still a bunch of shows that go for a good price secondhand, that price on the whole of Log Horizon is a bargain.

The anime market in the UK is only going to grow if you can capture the casual market, from the casual market you can create new hardcore collectors - that's why I'm very interested to see what AL do with Naruto and Bleach; two absolutely massive IPs in anime, that have huge cultural penetration. You can really capture the kinds of customers that are like "Oh yeah, I remember Naruto/Bleach, I fancy watching that again...", you don't really get that opportunity with more obscure titles.
Absolutely this, the trouble is that the current price of anime is enough to put off all but the most hardcore of collectors, I’d say I’m a middle of the road collector, who certainly won’t be pressured into buying an anime at such a high price unless it’s a show I’ve been desperately wanting to watch for a long time and even then, I wouldn’t pay the Macross price, let alone the LOTGH price; anime companies need to understand that the industry won’t grow at the rate they want it to if they don’t significantly (not a little bit like they reportedly tried in Japan) ease up on how much they charge, especially in Japan.

GKIDS have worldwide rights for Arcane season 1, I suppose it's possible AL could via a sublicense. It may not be anime but of course they have various titles that aren't and is definitely in their wheelhouse.

At the same time, other companies might be interested in it to given the rep/popularity of it.

AOL have listed standards for each of the Gundam movies on 4K.

AOL have listed standards for each of the Gundam movies on 4K.

And pricing wise makes the AL store box set look even worse value, £25(£35 now that the EB is gone) extra for an art box and a very small booklet.

And pricing wise makes the AL store box set look even worse value, £25(£35 now that the EB is gone) extra for an art box and a very small booklet.

Hard to imagine that just 10 years ago Funimation used to charge only $4 more for a chipboard box in a Limited Edition release over the price of the standard release here in the US - $38.99 for the Standard, and $42.99 for the Limited Edition box set.

I'll probably buy the 4K singles at some point and put them in my original Movies box. It's not like the box has anything on it other than the series logo and some artwork, so that'll be a good work around as I just couldn't justify the 4K box at the moment...

Hard to imagine that just 10 years ago Funimation used to charge only $4 more for a chipboard box in a Limited Edition release over the price of the standard release here in the US - $38.99 for the Standard, and $42.99 for the Limited Edition box set.
For those interested in comparison:
In Germany "peppermint anime" offers chipboard boxes as shop-exclusive addon for most new titles, currently priced €12.90 for EB or €14.90 later - however they only produce an amount slightly higher than the EB pre-orders, so they usually sell out before any discounts (other than EB) are offered for the series itself.

Other German companies charge like €5 extra on the "usual" price for Vol. 1 + chipboard box, compared to other releases, but all customers are "forced" to buy the version with chipboard box as a boxless version won't be released before the other is at least "low stock", which can take "forever" for some titles.

Back