Anime at the cinema

Just got out of Inu-Oh and unfortunately I am so tired today that my eyes were so heavy that it was hard to focus on the movie which never happens with me so I didn't 100% follow it but I got the main gist of it and the soundtrack and performances were brilliant but I defo need a re-watch when I'm not on the verge of falling asleep as like a lot of Yuasa's works, are a bit abstract. I was also lost a bit on the historic side of things.

Overall, from what I saw it was interesting and loved the soundtrack but needs a re-watch to give my proper thoughts on it.

Today I saw Evangelion 3.0+1.0 as it was cinemas down under thanks to Madman. I will say the film is glorious on the big screen and 100% beats watching it on Amazon Prime, sadly the theatre was basically deserted with there only being 4 people there which is including me. They also gave out these little posters with Asuka and Rei on them, I have no idea if AL will do this. IMG_3315.JPGIMG_3316.JPG

Hey! That's the same A4 double-sided poster I imported from Japan after they showed the new 3.0+1.0 movie in theaters there. I picked up two of those, plus two others, so I could frame all four Eva girls together in an A2 sized frame. Too bad the signatures are just printed and not hand signed, but I guess that would not have been feasible with how many posters that must have been produced:

Evangelion - 4 girls posters

evagirlsa4quad.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! That's the same A4 double-sided poster I imported from Japan after they showed the new 3.0+1.0 movie in theaters there. I picked up two of those, plus two others, so I could frame all four eva girls together in an A2 sized frame. Too bad the signatures are just printed and not hand signed, but I guess that would not have been feasible with how many posters that must have been produced:

evagirlsa4quad.jpg

I'm so glad that Shinji's on there too 🥰

That image of Shinji and Misato is actually not a poster but a multipage booklet of the same A4 size, but it was the only way to get an image of Misato. Misato was always my Best Girl in Eva, at least until Mari came along in the remakes, and then she stole my heart. Crazy girl with red glasses? Sign me up for marriage yesterday!! 🥰

Hey! That's the same A4 double-sided poster I imported from Japan after they showed the new 3.0+1.0 movie in theaters there. I picked up two of those, plus two others, so I could frame all four Eva girls together in an A2 sized frame. Too bad the signatures are just printed and not hand signed, but I guess that would not have been feasible with how many posters that must have been produced:

evagirlsa4quad.jpg
Shame we didn't get any of the other stuff but I am glad they ad least gave out the Asuka and Rei ones, poor Mari being left out.

It sucks here in my neck of the woods because I have to wait until early December to watch Evangelion-3.0+1.01, I watched the netflix version but it'll be fantastic on the big screen!!

Finally remembered to buy tickets for One Piece Film Red. Really looking forward to it. Weirdly we just had a flashy new cinema built but it's not showing it. At least the next town over (same chain) is this time, so I don't have to drag myself all the way into London. I wish AL's website had a calendar showing all of their film releases because there have been a few where I've forgotten to buy tickets and go once I know my availability that week!

R

Last edited:
Saw One Piece Film: Red today, another great One Piece movie, up there with Strong World, Z and Stampede as one of my favourites. Had a fantastic soundtrack, the highlight of the movie by far, would see it for that alone even if you're not into One Piece much. The art and colours really popped as well, a lot of eye candy.

This and Inu-Oh coming out with the banger soundtracks this year.

Blue Thermal - Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme

Next year's Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme's anime film is Blue Thermal. Worth a watch, saw it at SLA and it's good fun.

The film is showing in 10 or so cinemas across the country. Personally I may go down to Dundee to see it again, depending if I've got the day off work.

The other films have been announced too, they're available here - Films - Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme
Thanks for posting! Might try to get to some of these this year.

Blue Thermal is showing at the arts centre near me, booked it for March 25th.

Out of all the anime movies in 2023 so far this is the only one to pop up in my area, no Slime, SAO (not interested personally but the last movie showed) or Kaguya. I can see Suzume showing up hopefully but pretty disappointing so far, I want to support these films (as well as enjoy them, of course).

Kaguya is hardly anywhere. I'm really going to struggle to make it to the closest cinema before it starts: 1.5 hours to get there on a workday. I wish they'd do these limited weekday showings later in the evening to give me a fighting chance since they don't announce the times/dates early enough to book time off, either!

R

Dunno what's going on with Vue, but they seem to have cut down the listings quite dramatically. We did have showings at our local Vue but both have been removed in the space of 24 hours, but I'm hoping they'll come back...

Dunno what's going on with Vue, but they seem to have cut down the listings quite dramatically. We did have showings at our local Vue but both have been removed in the space of 24 hours, but I'm hoping they'll come back...

Yeah, I tend to rely on Cineworld these days. Our Vue hasn't shown any anime stuff in a while which is a shame as it was the easiest place for me and my friends to all get to, and the cheap tickets were a boon. Cineworld is fine for me as it's in walking distance from the office but awkward for others I know. To get to the local Odeon these days really requires a car as public transport options are limited and unreliable, particularly at night. We also have an Empire which gets the rare screening (we saw One Piece there) but the screens aren't the best and it could really do with a refurb.

Also for Vue I think they remove sold out screenings from their website so if you're seeing stuff disappear that might be why.

Back