Anime at the cinema

My local Picturehouse is doing a double bill April 8th.

My local Light is showing the standalone screenings same days as Vue.
Good to hear it's sort of wideish.

Would have loved to go to the double bill at the Cameo but I'm working that day.. hopefully the screenings come further north 🙏

My Showcase is showing both subbed and dubbed each one on a different day (4 total). I haven't watched Weathering With You since I saw it at the cinema despite getting the CE, so might go to the dub having seen the sub. I watched it as a double bill that time and definitely remember not liking as much as Your Name., although maybe that was down to being in the cinema for 4 hours.
Local Picturehouse is doing a double bill on Saturday 8th (also doing a triple bill! of the Cornetto Trilogy on the next day)

My Showcase is showing both subbed and dubbed each one on a different day (4 total). I haven't watched Weathering With You since I saw it at the cinema despite getting the CE, so might go to the dub having seen the sub. I watched it as a double bill that time and definitely remember not liking as much as Your Name., although maybe that was down to being in the cinema for 4 hours.
Local Picturehouse is doing a double bill on Saturday 8th (also doing a triple bill! of the Cornetto Trilogy on the next day)

IMO the English dub for Weathering With You is phenomenal and far better than the English dub for Your Name, would def recommend giving it a try :)

Tangentially related but tickets are now up for Junk Head and again the selection of show times is woeful.
2 cinemas in the whole of Scotland are showing it. Looking at Edinburgh it’s only being shown one single day at 8:30pm on a Monday

I know it’s niche and surely a hard sell to cinemas but come on…

Despite showing Your Name. and Weathering With You the Southampton Showcase doesn't have Suzume listed! Looking at the official site the nearest one is Bournemouth! One point is that those 2 are AL and this is CR!
Getting ridiculous with them skipping anime, especially as they're the only big cinema in the city now. Just as annoying is that Vue in the 2 next nearest places also seem to be ignoring anime. I was going to say that also applies to the nearest ODEON, but selecting different dates (the official website is confusing, why not list all the cinemas then show the dates once selected!). There's one only, on the 17th.

I purchased three tickets today to the Sunday night 16th showing of Suzume at a nearby theater, for myself and the next-door neighbor couple, who picked the night and are really psyched to go. I did have to order tickets for a dubbed showing since they are going, though. I picked the 3 seats in the dead center of the theater, which has those large reclining chairs in it with only 7 rows of 7 seats, so we are in the fourth row center. I'll most likely still order a single seat to a subtitled showing on the 14th or 15th though, since that is the way I really want to see it first. A big plus - this is the first movie I've even gone to in a commercial theater where I'm now old enough to buy a Senior Ticket, and save a few dollars - So gimme my damn discount already!! 😎👍

EDIT: So I just showed my mother the "First 12 Minutes of Suzume" video, and now she's really hyped to go along with me to the subtitled viewing I want to see first, so I'm definitely seeing the movie twice that weekend, both Saturday afternoon (sub) and Sunday evening (dub). 🥳

Last edited:
Despite showing Your Name. and Weathering With You the Southampton Showcase doesn't have Suzume listed! Looking at the official site the nearest one is Bournemouth! One point is that those 2 are AL and this is CR!
Getting ridiculous with them skipping anime, especially as they're the only big cinema in the city now. Just as annoying is that Vue in the 2 next nearest places also seem to be ignoring anime. I was going to say that also applies to the nearest ODEON, but selecting different dates (the official website is confusing, why not list all the cinemas then show the dates once selected!). There's one only, on the 17th.
I know what you mean about a bunch of cinemas not having listings; one horror story I had regarding the limited run of anime at the cinema was back in 2017 when Napping Princess was on; the cinema I went to had a corrupted sub file, or something like that, so it was basically in Japanese with no subtitles, I got a refund but considering they don't show anime at the cinema for more than a day usually, I was genuinely worried that they would not show it again; luckily they put it back on the week after, with subtitles this time, the film itself was pretty good last I remember but I've never seen an anime film at the cinema since lol.

Back