Anime at the cinema

I watched this at my local Odeon last year when AL brought it to cinema screens and it was quite the experience. Unsurprisingly, I'd highly recommend to watch this on the big screen to any Eva fans that are able to, though probably not so much to those young 'uns that are yet to watch the original series. Like the two that were seated behind me asking what the movie was about 🤦 and walked out less than halfway through heheh.

Going to see 'Suzume' on Friday at an Odeon, my local one has been pretty good at putting out anime films for a while now, I got to go and see a screening of 'End of Evangelion' a while back.

Shinkai can keep putting out the same two movies and god damn it, I'll keep watching them and rating them 10/10 because I am ultimately an easily pleased money chimp.

I purchased three tickets today to the Sunday night 16th showing of Suzume at a nearby theater, for myself and the next-door neighbor couple, who picked the night and are really psyched to go. I did have to order tickets for a dubbed showing since they are going, though. I picked the 3 seats in the dead center of the theater, which has those large reclining chairs in it with only 7 rows of 7 seats, so we are in the fourth row center. I'll most likely still order a single seat to a subtitled showing on the 14th or 15th though, since that is the way I really want to see it first.

EDIT: So I just showed my mother the "First 12 Minutes of Suzume" video, and now she's really hyped to go along with me to the subtitled viewing I want to see first, so I'm definitely seeing the movie twice that weekend, both Saturday afternoon (sub) and Sunday evening (dub). 🥳

And, I did just order another pair of tickets to see Suzume on Saturday the 15th - This one in IMAX with subtitles, at the closest theater to me, about 5 miles from home. That theater had not posted any showings online until long after I purchased the other tickets for Sunday, at a theater about 12 miles away in Lancaster, in the city. I got these two tickets for me and my mother, who watches a lot of anime with me at home and also prefers subtitles. Again, I picked out the middle two seats in the 7th row, which is pretty much midway back in the 15-row IMAX theater.

So Suzume twice for me - this Saturday afternoon in IMAX with subtitles, an then again Sunday evening with the dub. 🤩

Last edited:
https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/recycle-of-the-penguindrum-part-1--2-subbed/HO00004269/

Looks like Re:Cycle of the Penguindrum is coming to Odeon on the 20th in a double bill with a runtime of 4hr 38min 😨
Fans will have access to special bonus content ahead of each film, including a screening introduction by director Kunihiko Ikuhara plus a shout out to cinema audiences by the voice cast. Every attendee will also receive a limited edition A6 PENGUINDRUM postcard.

ETA: tickets are up now 🙂

Last edited:
Crunchyroll are releasing the new Psycho-Pass movie here on August 2nd.

Most awesome! So I see Crunchyroll has the three Sinners of the System movies with English Dub now - so where's their Blu-ray release, dang it?! The neighbor girl absolutely loves Psycho-Pass but cannot read subtitles, So the Anime Limited box set I have is useless for me to show to her. At least I can stream them for her now.

Picturehouse cinema is doing a Anime film marathon.

Very familiar story but I’d love to see Tunnel To Summer Exit of Goodbyes but the screening times around me are terrible and it’s limited to this weekend alone.
I don’t blame Anime Limited for this but it’s woeful and a regular frustration for most anime releases in cinema

Very familiar story but I’d love to see Tunnel To Summer Exit of Goodbyes but the screening times around me are terrible and it’s limited to this weekend alone.
I don’t blame Anime Limited for this but it’s woeful and a regular frustration for most anime releases in cinema
Same here in my area, going to have to miss out on this one this time as well unfortunately.

I'll be making the Sunday screening at my local Odeon as I have the day off from work then, and I normally work on Sundays (the Monday screening (the only other screening there) is a bit late for my liking, given the reputation of the area during the night).

I'll be making the Sunday screening at my local Odeon as I have the day off from work then, and I normally work on Sundays (the Monday screening (the only other screening there) is a bit late for my liking, given the reputation of the area during the night).
Bus times are awkward for me on Sunday's and as you said about the Monday, is not the best place to be at night 😅 I can say from experience, hope you enjoy the movie though! will wait for the blu-ray myself.

For me it's up in the air depending on what happens with my schedule this weekend, since travelling to a cinema actually showing it means writing off several hours on top of the actual screening. I'd quite like to see the film as it looks interesting but it's not one I booked in advance due to the travel commitment.

I wrote a grumpy email to my local cinema asking them to actually bother showing things now and then but it appears that they are doggedly determined to avoid making any money from me. If they showed anime (they're a major chain and several others in London do) then I'd go there every time! A shame as there are lots of anime fans, subtitle readers and young people in my town and when I invest the time to go elsewhere the screenings tend to attract quite a lot of people compared to the central London cinemas.

Having said that, the media push for the big mainstream movies this month has been huge so our poor anime film was probably doomed to be pushed into the graveyard slots from the outset.

R

Bus times are awkward for me on Sunday's and as you said about the Monday, is not the best place to be at night 😅 I can say from experience, hope you enjoy the movie though! will wait for the blu-ray myself.
Thanks. And that's completely understandable.

I'll be driving there as it's cheaper for me to park there than it would be to get public transport (in the car park I normally use, it's £1 for 12 hours on Sundays). I'll end up giving a brief opinion on Twitter without giving any spoilers once I finish watching it.

Back