Anime at the cinema

The First Slam Dunk is now listed at my local Odeon, but at awkward times also. I don't know what my August shifts are yet, and I'll just keep an eye out for possible screenings at the arts centre if I have to.
Well, my local arts centre has screenings for The First Slam Dunk coming up. The screenings for the English dub are on the 3rd September at 11am and 7th September at 4:30pm, while the subtitled screening is on 6th September at 11am (a more reasonable time compared to the Odeon screenings, given the location). As soon as I found out my shifts yesterday, I booked my ticket for the subtitled screening.

It seems cineworld has deemed us unworthy of anime 😔😔😔

I have noticed that this shows up on the Slam Dunk film website, I wonder if this means they are just coming soon. Doesn't seem to appear for any other Cineworld.. will just have to wait and see..
View attachment 29988

It is showing at the Edinburgh Film Festival but the times aren't too convenient, either too early or too late.
Looks like Aberdeen has several showings confirmed now! I'm going to go next Friday evening. Looking forward to it!

Looks like Aberdeen has several showings confirmed now! I'm going to go next Friday evening. Looking forward to it!
Heh, nice. Noticed they added some a week or so ago but had already booked to see it at EIFF. It's really good - will probably be going back next week sometime to make use of the unlimited card.

According to the Odeon listing it's 3.0 + 1.01
That's the part I find strange. I'm going to assume that maybe they used the Gkids theatrical print shown at SLA but surely if 3.0+1.11 is better I could just wait for the Blu-ray? I'd like to see it theatrically but if it's a worse version then it seems like a lot of effort for a worse experience.

3.0+1.0 comes to cinemas from October 6th
Pretty disappointed there's no listing for Ipswich. A bit of a surprise really as we've been getting more anime here lately with Tunnel to Summer and Slam Dunk being shown at Empire Cinema. With Evangelion being a big franchise I thought it'd get a screening for sure.

Pretty disappointed there's no listing for Ipswich. A bit of a surprise really as we've been getting more anime here lately with Tunnel to Summer and Slam Dunk being shown at Empire Cinema. With Evangelion being a big franchise I thought it'd get a screening for sure.
Yeah, Cineworld don't seem to be showing this one (yet)... although they are usually slower at putting up listings

Last anime movie I saw was Psycho-Pass Providence, I'd never watched anything from that franchise before and promptly got seasons 1,2 and 3 plus Sinners Of The System. Needless to say I'm totally hooked on this series now-all I need is the original movie.

Thanks for posting.
My first was Shin Godzilla and I enjoyed it very much, helped along by seeing some of the actors from the Outrage Trilogy.
I would love it on the big screen.

I may have seen a film 45/50 years ago but have no memory of doing so.

Is anyone else here going to Scotland Loves Anime this year? I'm going for the first time since 2010 (I saw The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and Evangelion 2.0 then).

I'm going to the Edinburgh showings of:

Komada - A Whisky Family
Blue Giant
PHOENIX: Reminiscence of Flower
The Concierge
Galaxy Express 999
Lonely Castle in the Mirror

I wanted to see Gold Kingdom and Water Kingdom too, but couldn't get the Friday off work.

Including train tickets and hotel room, it's going to be one hell of an expensive weekend!

I'll be at the Edinburgh side as well. Planning on seeing:

• Gold Kingdom and Water Kingdom
  • Summer Ghost (since I have somehow missed out on all the other screenings of this previously)
  • Tekkonkinkreet
  • Lonely Castle in the Mirror
  • The Concierge
  • Blue Giant
  • Komada - A Whisky Family
  • Galaxy Express 999
  • Phoenix Reminiscence of Flower

Also, I will say as expensive as this year has been, you should have seen hotel prices last year... There was a nearby sporting event that weekend so the cost was insane. Compared to that this was cheap...

I'll be going to Scotland Loves Anime for the first time ever. I'll only be attending the Glasgow leg of it though. Hotel and plane tickets were booked back in July.

I ended up getting the Weekend pass, although a part of me thinks that I should've bought the individual tickets instead, as I'll probably have to miss 3 films.

• The Animatrix (I haven't seen any of The Matrix films yet)
  • Lonely Castle in the Mirror (the gaps between each film wouldn't give me enough time to have dinner)
  • The Concierge (the same reason as Lonely Castle in the Mirror)

Last edited:
I'll be going to Scotland Loves Anime for the first time ever. I'll only be attending the Glasgow leg of it though. Hotel and plane tickets were booked back in July.

I ended up getting the Weekend pass, although a part of me thinks that I should've bought the individual tickets instead, as I'll probably have to miss 3 films.

• The Animatrix (I haven't seen any of The Matrix films yet)
  • Lonely Castle in the Mirror (the gaps between each film wouldn't give me enough time to have dinner)
  • The Concierge (the same reason as Lonely Castle in the Mirror)
At the very least watch the first Matrix movie as it'll help out with one of the segments, but otherwise Animatrix works well on it's own, which is an advantage over other tie-in anthologies.

I would've liked to have gone to SLA but with the cost of living crisis plus the expensive travel rates I skipped out this year, hopefully Phoenix and The Concierge will get limited theatrical runs.

At the very least watch the first Matrix movie as it'll help out with one of the segments, but otherwise Animatrix works well on it's own, which is an advantage over other tie-in anthologies.
Thanks. I might consider giving the first Matrix movie a watch, once I finish Galaxy Express 999 (I'll be watching the final disc of Collection 3 tomorrow). And thinking about it, I might reconsider skipping those films, as I thought of swapping over lunch and dinner for 2 days, which is not an issue for me as I have to swap lunch and dinner over whenever I have to do a long evening shift at work.

Back