Anime at the cinema

The majority of criticism I've heard is related to it being childish. That sort of appeals to me though because I'm childish anyway - it helps me not feel my age.
I don't like Ponyo as much because it's childish to me, but then again I really like Totoro which is supposed to be childish as well.

I'll totally reserve judgement as ever, and go into it hoping to enjoy it, as I always do. I mean, I did want to like Arrietty and Marnie, but I just... couldn't. I really don't think Yonebayashi's that great a director when pitted against my favourites.

Ha, and you're just the polar opposite of me when it comes to Yonebayashi - Marnie is now my #1 favorite Ghibli movie, overtaking my previous #1 Nausicaa - and Arrietty is in my Top 10 or so. But, I did not care Mary and the Witches Flower much at all. The animation was certainly in the typical gorgeous Ghibli style, but the story was lame because it was too much geared to younger children - The whole school thing was done too silly for me. I rate Mary below Ponyo, and Ponyo is dead last on my Favorite Ghibli list.

Last edited:
This isn't UK, but I thought it worth mentioning that on April 22nd the Quad Cinema in New York is showing Cowboy Bebop in its entirety for the 20th anniversary. Not sure if any UK cinema would be willing, maybe the Prince Charles or Edinburgh Filmhouse or somewhere like that?

The line up for the Japanese Film Festival in Ireland is up.

Films - Japanese Film Festival

The anime titles in the festival this year are Anthem of the Heart, Night is Short Walk on Girl, Lu Over the Wall, Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms and Mary and the Witches Flower. The live action Tokyo Ghoul is also being shown.

All screenings are available in Dublin except Lu and Night is Short.

Can't see it mentioned, but BFI Southbank are doing a lot of anime screenings in May, include an Anime Weekend 19th - 21st May:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk/files/downloads/bfi-southbank-programme-calendar-may-2018.pdf

Very tempted to travel and stay over to see Spirited Away, Your Name, Paprika, Cardcaptor Sakura 2, Lu Over The Wall, In This Corner of the World, and Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms on the big screen :)

Why is all the cool stuff always in London? :/ Birmingham never gets any love.

I was looking up tickets for Mary and the Witches Flower special previews earlier and spotted this:
all ticket holders will receive a limited edition print of the film's artwork at the box office on the night.
It was on both the Picturehouse and the Showcase websites, so I guess it's something AltitudeFilms are doing rather than the individual cinemas.

MAC Birmingham will be showing dubbed versions of Mary and the Witch's Flower and the late Isao Takahata's Horus, Prince of the Sun on April 22nd

Back