Anime at the cinema

I'm guessing at your local Picturehouse?Ours is showing it tonight as well, but I saw at the cinema last year. I thinking of going to the Back to the Future one in the same season.
Yeah I missed it last year and they're showing it down the road from me so why not, it's not everyday you get to see Akira on the big screen!

Also thinking of watching Mary tomorrow, seems to be geared towards younger children, I guess I'm just there for the pretty visuals!

Going to be seeing Maquia at PCC on the 16th along with that Q&A, just curious as it's my first time going to one of these anime screenings, do they get busy? i'm expecting a lot of people tbh

Going to be seeing Maquia at PCC on the 16th along with that Q&A, just curious as it's my first time going to one of these anime screenings, do they get busy? i'm expecting a lot of people tbh
Think it largely depends where you are and how prevalent the film is. For example 'Your Name' got a bigger (relative term) turnout than something like In 'This Corner of the World' where I was. A proper Q&A in London would probably see more people turn up than usual though I guess.

In my area its normally a half-dozen to dozen usual suspects that turn up, I've tried my best not to interact with them so far.

6e4JTJA.jpg

So I went to go see Mary and the Witch's Flower today, booked my tickets and reserved my seats, went to go see it with my brother since I have meerkat movies, sat down in my seat, we must have been sitting there for like 30 mins, nice orchestrated music playing quietly in the background...and a lady working at the cinema comes in to tell us "Unfortunately the movie hasn't arrived and as such we won't be able to proceed with the showing today, we'll give you a refund and complementary tickets if you'd like to follow me"

what on earth

6e4JTJA.jpg

So I went to go see Mary and the Witch's Flower today, booked my tickets and reserved my seats, went to go see it with my brother since I have meerkat movies, sat down in my seat, we must have been sitting there for like 30 mins, nice orchestrated music playing quietly in the background...and a lady working at the cinema comes in to tell us "Unfortunately the movie hasn't arrived and as such we won't be able to proceed with the showing today, we'll give you a refund and complementary tickets if you'd like to follow me"

what on earth

Really! that's crazy, I wanted to go see it today myself at the o2centre in London but decided not to today, wonder if they had the same issue. That sucks :/ is that the poster you get from seeing the movie? or are those cards?

Really! that's crazy, I wanted to go see it today myself at the o2centre in London but decided not to today, wonder if they had the same issue. That sucks :/ is that the poster you get from seeing the movie? or are those cards?
That's what they gave me so I guess that's the "limited editon print", It's an A4 or thereabouts sized card, I thought that it'd be a poster too but I guess it did say print *shrug*

Sucks to hear, sorry! My film turned up, got a different print to you though, mine looks more like character concept sketches.

It was a lovely film, very pretty, but lacked a lot of the tragedy and depressed protagonists of some of my favourite Ghibli films. Mary is no Kiki, but it's a cool first outing.

Also what kind of psychopath books the seat next to an occupied seat on an empty row...

Last edited:
Also what kind of pshycopath books the seat next to an occupied seat on an empty row...
lol I always try my best to book seats where nobody is in front, directly next to me or behind me, I don't mind sitting next to someone but if it isn't packed I wanna feel relaxed, my social anxieties and general good nature has me more worried about the people behind me and so I always try and not sit in front of people, it's hard sitting in one place for two hours! There was a full free row in front of me yesterday when watching akira and two dudes sat right in front of me, come on man give me a break I paid £8 for this ticket.

"Unfortunately the movie hasn't arrived and as such we won't be able to proceed with the showing today, we'll give you a refund and complementary tickets if you'd like to follow me"
Crazy! Where are you, the Outer Hebrides?
The good thing about the new Showcase in my city is that the drop in height between rows means no having to sit bolt upright if someone is in front, and the reclining seats!

Sucks to hear, sorry! My film turned up, got a different print to you though, mine looks more like character concept sketches.
Sounds like the same as me. See the What Did You Receive Today? thread.

She said something along the lines of "It hasn't loaded onto the server yet" or something, god knows I was too busy laughing honestly, the whole crowd was shook, also wth your print looks better than mine :(

She said something along the lines of "It hasn't loaded onto the server yet" or something, god knows I was too busy laughing honestly, the whole crowd was shook, also wth your print looks better than mine :(
Ah, modern technology.
It does look a lot like the stuff you have posted on that thread. Although obviously not an original piece, I've looked up Ghibli cells and seen some over $1000.

The screening I got was one of those live broadcast screening jobbies, at least it was in the premium screen with the big reclining seats.

Onwards to Anthem of the Heart and Maquia with the Mari Okada q&a on Saturday.

Ah, modern technology.
It does look a lot like the stuff you have posted on that thread. Although obviously not an original piece, I've looked up Ghibli cells and seen some over $1000.
Yeah original stuff can get really expensive, I've seen some go for tens of thousands, and the crazy thing is...if I had that kind of money...I would. Replications are valuable too, I mean it's not every day we're privy to sketches and such, they usually threw that stuff in the bin back in the day, what a waste!

It's so hard keeping in the loop with what anime will be shown up here. I'm basically just always having to check 2 Venues future listings to see if I spot any that way.

Didn't make Mary showing last night. I'll go see the dubbed version next month instead.

It's so hard keeping in the loop with what anime will be shown up here. I'm basically just always having to check 2 Venues future listings to see if I spot any that way.

Didn't make Mary showing last night. I'll go see the dubbed version next month instead.
There'll be subbed screenings next month as well.

Back