Anime at the cinema

Fanathon: Animation Sunday - LIFF31
Sun 5 Nov
Victoria Hall

We love animation at LIFF and as well as our Oscar-qualifying World Animation Competition for shorts, we present a marathon annual celebration of animated feature films. Our selection of five films this year includes Mutafukaz, a riotous French / Japanese sci-fi hip-hop crime fantasy from Ankama and Studio 4°C. Big Fish & Begonia is a bold and breathtaking adventure from China about a dolphin-girl who sacrifices her immortality to rescue a human boy. Plus, in its 20th anniversary we present Satoshi Kon’s cult anime classic Perfect Blue.

Looks like I'll be going to Pokémon twice on Sunday... One at 11am with a friend and the one at 2pm with some other friends. Just hope the film is not trash as it looks...

Went and saw the Pokemon movie today :D It was quite nice to see it on the big screen, the last Pokemon movie I saw at the pictures was the very first one. I got the Pikachu card and don't forget to stay after the credits ended ;)

Okay so not anime as such, but the live-action Tokyo Ghoul at the end of the month is in very few cinemas. It's Anime Limited again, but seems to be mostly Showcase this time (previously they've also been dealing with Vue).

As of writing, the following venues are listed, all at 8 p.m.
Prince Charles Cinema, London
Showcase Cinema de Luxe, Reading
Showcase Cinema De Luxe, Bluewater
Showcase Cinema De Luxe, Derby
Showcase Cardiff Nantgarw
Showcase Cinema De Luxe, Bristol
Showcase Cinema de Luxe, Coventry
Showcase Cinema De Luxe, Leeds
Showcase Cinema de Luxe, Leicester
Showcase Cinema De Luxe, Nottingham
Showcase Cinema De Luxe, Peterborough
Showcase Cinema de Luxe, Southampton
Showcase, Dudley
Showcase, Glasgow
Showcase, Manchester
Showcase Paisley

↑ Just learnt that Mary and the Witch's Flower's going to be on at Dundee DCA soon. I know it's had some stick, and I'm not exactly a fan of director Hiromasa Yonebayashi, but I definitely want to see it.

The majority of criticism I've heard is related to it being childish.
I'll totally reserve judgement as ever, and go into it hoping to enjoy it, as I always do. I mean, I did want to like Arrietty and Marnie, but I just... couldn't. I really don't think Yonebayashi's that great a director when pitted against my favourites.

Back