Anime at the cinema

Napping Princess and Perfect Blue are both already on my local Picture House cinema listings. This cinema always shows old, independent and niche cinema, they had a Ghibli season last year.
Same! They show Ghibli films all the time too! I see a lot of older couples going to see them, makes me smile :)

Nice article (comment directed to those UKA folks who pop by). I'm pleasantly surprised that SAO hasn't trounced the, erm, more classy films in the list, even if it does sound about as accurate as unofficial games industry sales figures.

I'm finally going on a daytrip to see In This Corner Of The World at the weekend so hopefully that will be a slow burner with its longer run. As a viewer rather than a film buff, I do find it hard to know how and when to watch this stuff now anime films are getting more traction. Like, I googled for 'Genocidal Organ screening' earlier and only got Showcase results and there's no Showcase even remotely near me; it wasn't until I heard other fans discussing Vue that I even realised it was screening somewhere I could physically get to. Then when I was looking up the information about In This Corner Of The World, the official site doesn't make it clear that it's subbed and I don't watch dubs - yet I knew Manga were promoting and also making a dub - so again I relied on the community for information. It may be that when screenings were quite rare and promoted by the festival crowd it was relatively easy to hear about them, but as they're getting more and more 'mainstream' (relatively speaking) there's a danger of them being overlooked. I don't know why but we've had a problem in the UK for many years now where distributors don't always make it clear enough what language a film is being shown in, the same as we often don't know what kind of on-disc content we're getting with a release until it's in the hands of reviewers.

R

It's a shame that In This Corner of the World hasn't done so well, so far anyway. I wonder if the market for anime movies is just starting to become oversaturated and so people who previously had been so starved for anime on the big screen just aren't bothering now? Or it could just be because ITCOTW had nothing to generate interest beforehand in the same way SAO and FT did from coming from a popular series, and ASV had from its manga.

Like, I googled for 'Genocidal Organ screening' earlier and only got Showcase results and there's no Showcase even remotely near me; it wasn't until I heard other fans discussing Vue that I even realised it was screening somewhere I could physically get to.

Genocidal Organ appears to be getting a much more limited release in general. Up until now all of the AL movies have hit our Vue, but Genocidal Organ is only at the local showcase. I know a few people have mentioned showings near them disappearing as well, so overall I'm not surprised the information for it isn't really 'out there'.

For me at least it's really highlighting the decay of cinema as a medium here. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely loving that I can see anime movies close to their Japanese screening dates, but because cinema has been on the decline I have no cinemas in my town and the next town over only shows superhero films. I really have to go into London to see any anime screenings at all, which is time-consuming and expensive and physically impossible during the working week. Anything that isn't a must-see naturally gets skipped.

However, despite my grievances with its distributor ITCOTW looks as though it will be up my street, so I'm happy that I haven't had to miss it after all. For some reason negative reviews just make me want to see things even more.

R

I was looking up the information about In This Corner Of The World, the official site doesn't make it clear that it's subbed and I don't watch dubs ... I don't know why but we've had a problem in the UK for many years now where distributors don't always make it clear enough what language a film is being shown in

A couple of things I'd like to chime in with...

When I saw the Blue Exorcist movie back in early 2014 at Glasgow Film Theatre, it was listed in the cinema guide and website as subbed. It was actually shown dubbed, though. :mad:
I went to see it again at Dundee DCA (support your local anime! :D). This time it was shown subbed as promised.

Also, on that same day at Glasgow Film Theatre, I saw The Wind Rises (subbed). I wanted to go and see it again at Dundee DCA, but unfortunately it was listed as dubbed for all screenings, so I gave it a miss. It was around that time I emailed the cinema to thank them for taking part in Anime Limited's Scotland Loves Anime tour, and took the opportunity to mentioned how it was a shame that The Wind Rises was only shown dubbed. I got a reply from their head of cinema explaining that they themselves had been under the impression that the digital print they were receiving only included the dubbed version. When they received it, though, it turned out to also include the original audio with subs. By then, though, it had already been listed as dubbed in the printed guide and on their website, so that's what they ran with. They apparently considered changing some of the screenings to the subbed version but in the end felt that might just annoy people if they got something other than what was listed. Blame bloody Studio Canal for that mix-up.

Last edited:

Being helpful for folks:

If it's Edinburgh I'd suggest then checking the Cineworld site again as they had two listed at the same time bizarrely and one is still listed with seats available :). Same time and languages and as far as I know also

Alternatively if Fountainbridge is a bit far (always was for me vs other options) then the Cameo is also running it :). You can book here: Picturehouses - Choose tickets

Hope this helps!

AP

Being helpful for folks:

If it's Edinburgh I'd suggest then checking the Cineworld site again as they had two listed at the same time bizarrely and one is still listed with seats available :). Same time and languages and as far as I know also

Alternatively if Fountainbridge is a bit far (always was for me vs other options) then the Cameo is also running it :). You can book here: Picturehouses - Choose tickets

Hope this helps!

AP

So for reference. i still have my ticket booked for cineworld in Edinburgh, screen 11 at 19:45. it did have two showings, and the napping princess film website linking to them refers to both as japanese w/ subs, just one is still active. They only list the one now on cineworlds website and the other has disappeared, but it's still there at the moment with at last check about 69 seats taken, but with a good portion left so it's worth getting them in now while seats are available, that's doubled in the week since we ordered them @st_owly

Back