The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Need to get that score average up, aye!
The website actually as a score prediction engine in there and it's extremely off the mark. Last week it even hilariously suggested Star Trek V (the atrocious one) be at 6.7 while IV (one of the very few that managed the feat to make me laugh) would be 6.2. I stipulate it's because it has too little data in my meager list to build up a metric from. But would be intrigued to know just what the hell from before my Star Trek movie marathon this month caused that prediction.

Oldboy was a weird case. I did not really like it at all when I sat through it (the sex and violence was rather off putting), but the more time passed the stronger the leftover impression on how really beautiful and intense some of the fight choreography and drama scenes were. (Similiar thing seems to be currently transpiring for to Kill Bill 1. Time will tell.) But I don't feel like wanting re-watching them at all. But beauty alone doesn't seem to cut it, because Ghost in the Shell was a pain despite seeming like a database array of stunning visual effects to me.

Never have heard of the vengeance trilogy before, though, will make a note~

Have a soft spot myself for South Korean cinema and for instance War of the Arrows and especially The Chaser are some of my favourite movies.
The Host is a fantastic movie if you're taking South Korean recommendations (just make sure you get the right one! There appear to be 2 movies called this).

Throwing out Dogma and Dead Man's Shoes as some personal favorites too, but I'd probably ignore me...

I notice high scores for Leon and Fifth Element, get some more Besson in there especially Nikita and The Big Blue (stuff he directed is considerably better than stuff he wrote, just not so much his more recent stuff... The moment he divorced Milla Jovovich his films started getting worse, I guess that would do that to you). Also both Blade Runners, but I recommend that to everybody.

Seeing people posting regular non-anime movies in the bought-photos thread... Anybody care for some recommendations?

My watched film list appears to be very lacking:
Luna's movie list (I haven't even hit 200...)
Sorted by years and scored by enjoyment. List does not include random movies I watched as a child on TV, whose names I don't know. But they probably won't go over a dozen either.

The thing with all these movies seems to be, that with even films that are good and I realize that they are well written/directed and/or otherwise technically well put together I still end up with this "This was good. It's well made. But I don't seem to have enjoyed/liked it all that much." feeling.
I haven't even got a clue what it seems to be that the few movies I did end up liking in movies have in common. They are all over the place. The last thing that kind of enthralled me was Star Trek, but it doesn't seem like I am even remotely interested in Star Wars.

That's the genre ranking for my anime taste: Luna's GRAPH.ANIME.PLUS
In case anybody might get some ideas out of that.

What are your favorite genres? or what are you interested in watching more of?

What are your favorite genres? or what are you interested in watching more of?
I don't really have a clear cut genre favorite, it's usually a sort of balanced mix and their context... I think. You could look at this: Luna's GRAPH.ANIME.PLUS
The default ranking of the genres is pretty spot on for Anime and most of this applies for novels as well, so I suppose it's probably not too far fetched, that probably also applies to movies. I've also got a drama list, with some ratings: shina_luna's Drama List - MyDramaList (It's pretty much dominated by Abe Hiroshi and Higashino Keigo though.)
... But well yeah. This question is hard to answer. If I knew how the mechanics of my weird taste works, I'd already have my list filled with thousands of things like how my anime plan to watch is overfilled.

You've only ever watched 200 films? I probably watch over 300 films a year but that does include watching the original Star Wars trilogy 5 or 6 times a year :cool:
Well 200 that I can properly remember and have finished. There are also a bunch of snippets in my memory from TV broadcasts in my childhood or the first 40 minutes of Star Wars I. But otherwise, yeah, unbelievably low. @.@

I notice high scores for Leon and Fifth Element, get some more Besson in there especially Nikita and The Big Blue (stuff he directed is considerably better than stuff he wrote, just not so much his more recent stuff... The moment he divorced Milla Jovovich his films started getting worse, I guess that would do that to you). Also both Blade Runners, but I recommend that to everybody.
Oh, that's interesting. I wasn't aware they were from the same director. Noted~

I noticed historical and Samurai are pretty high in your anime genre list, so here's a list a Japanese films with an historical setting:
Samurai Movies And Other Japanese Period Films (Jidaigeki) - IMDb

I haven't seen any of them, I've only seen Western live action films set in a Japanese historical setting: Last Samurai and Memoirs of a Geisha. Both are fairly recent though in terms of the period portrayed.
I've also seen the Keanu Reeves' 47 Ronin which is based in an older period, but much more fantastical.
If history in general interests you there's a load I've seen that I could recommend.

Probably dumb question, but.... If I were to want to watch non-anime movies. ... What's the best way to do so?
I really don't like going to a cinema (too... overwhelming of sorts). Other than that there is of course buy all the stuff on BD/DVD, but resell value on those seems to be pretty bad. TV broadcast are out, because all dubbed. So remains streams, but I'm having so no clue, what there all exists. Netflix? Amazon Prime Stream? Is there more? They don't always have everything and stuff comes and goes mostly, I think? Is there any good way to find out what streaming site currently has what?

Other than that there is of course buy all the stuff on BD/DVD, but resell value on those seems to be pretty bad.
Yes, the resell value is low on many titles, but this is offset by the low prices. Amazon.de and Amazon.it often have good multibuy deals. I believe Amazon.de sometimes has 10 for €50 deals. Amazon.it and Zavvi tend to have good deals on boxsets.

... I never realized there were 10 for 50€ deals. I probably should look around then.

Another question.
Any good movie listings sites, kind of MAL and Mydramalist.net style? Moviepilot is German only and it's impossible to simply list all of the watched things on one list, sorted by score, at least linking on that list required a login, which is kind of dumb, and that list is also (German) title-only + score, but I'd like to have my watching dates there, too so I can sort and/or filter the list according to the watching date.
Most ideal would be a site that has international titles in the DB and even more ideally you can flip the titles with a buttom press into any target country. (As a workaround images are also ok though.)
(The data my MAL list holds, where I (mis?)used the tags for some things: shina_luna's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net )
A page with MAL style recommendation links between the entries would also be nice. Also would be cool if there is something like a toplist like on MAL, where I can just add stuff onto a ptw conveniently. (And probably have a good start at whatever I should actually watch. The cults probably will all assemble themselves among the Top 100). Score prediction would be a nice candy, but not a must.

I think 10 years ago IMDB was a thing, is that still the case? Are there any better alternatives out there by now?
Do folks here have some movie lists I could browse through?

think 10 years ago IMDB was a thing, is that still the case? Are there any better alternatives out there by now?
Do folks here have some movie lists I could browse through?

IMDB is still a thing. Not sure about better sites. People share lists of films by themes as I posted earlier:

I noticed historical and Samurai are pretty high in your anime genre list, so here's a list a Japanese films with an historical setting:
Samurai Movies And Other Japanese Period Films (Jidaigeki) - IMDb

@D1tchd1gger
Oh, lol, I had taken a brief look on your Samurai list, but didn't notice it was imdb. Is the watchlist blocked for view per default? It seems to be grayed out, when I visit your profile.
Kind of would like to have a sort of Status for a title as in MAL, so I can link on my ptw on my searchlist. Would like to have that status bei exclusively unique, so I don't have to manually remove the title from a handmade list.

EDIT: Am I being stupid, or does it seem to be impossible to add an entry to a list from the entry's page? It only says "Watch list" and new list, how do I get it onto a custom list? @_@

Last edited:
Back