The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

trailer for Lazarus, the new Shinichiro Watanabe/MAPPA show coming next year for Adult Swim
interesting that it lists Action Director as Chad Stahelski, director of the John Wick films
(also music by Kamasi Washington & Floating Points, both of which I love!)

I'm not crying... well OK I am kind of crying (lil bit of welling up), this looks phenomenal and the music is absolutely beautiful, I have the Kamasi Washington album The Epic and I liked it, but I'm glad to hear softer more ethereal music as the track used in the trailer is just so dreamy, I don't really know Floating Points but this trailer music definitely piques my interest, though I dunno if this particular track is a collab or just one of the two and if so which. Love a bit of modern-day mythological symbolism in my anime so really digging the flight stuff as well. That said I hope this is better than Carole and Tuesday which I was disappointed by because I felt the protagonists were too underwritten for a 2 cour series.

I'm not crying... well OK I am kind of crying (lil bit of welling up), this looks phenomenal and the music is absolutely beautiful, I have the Kamasi Washington album The Epic and I liked it, but I'm glad to hear softer more ethereal music as the track used in the trailer is just so dreamy, I don't really know Floating Points but this trailer music definitely piques my interest, though I dunno if this particular track is a collab or just one of the two and if so which. Love a bit of modern-day mythological symbolism in my anime so really digging the flight stuff as well. That said I hope this is better than Carole and Tuesday which I was disappointed by because I felt the protagonists were too underwritten for a 2 cour series.

yeh after reading the plot I'm a bit worried it might get a bit Terror-In-Resonance-ish
but it should at least look good and sound good given the staff!
I really recommend the Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders/LSO album Promises, v dreamy with Pharoah ending his career perfectly :_;

yeh after reading the plot I'm a bit worried it might get a bit Terror-In-Resonance-ish
but it should at least look good and sound good given the staff!
I really recommend the Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders/LSO album Promises, v dreamy with Pharoah ending his career perfectly :_;

I actually really liked Terror in Resonance, but I agree it could have been even better, will check out that album, thankyou :)

I am officially now crying every time I watch this trailer it's just SO beautiful 😭 😭 😭

Yes, I'm putting this here!

Animated by Science Saru! But directed by one of their Western employees, Abel Gongora (he directed their Star Wars: Visions episode). Not sure if MAL will except it, although being Netflix I assume it'll be streaming in Japan and thus there should be a Japanese dub, so ticks some of their boxes (studio, Japanese dub and "broadcast" in Japan).
All of the English cast from the film are voicing, O'Malley (creator of the original graphic novels) himself is writing and Edgar Wright is involved too.

Animated by Science Saru! But directed by one of their Western employees, Abel Gongora (he directed their Star Wars: Visions episode). Not sure if MAL will except it, although being Netflix I assume it'll be streaming in Japan and thus there should be a Japanese dub, so ticks some of their boxes (studio, Japanese dub and "broadcast" in Japan).
All of the English cast from the film are voicing, O'Malley (creator of the original graphic novels) himself is writing and Edgar Wright is involved too.

I would say that the likelihood is in the 90% neighborhood of it not being added to databases like MAL. While the information is light at the moment (I believe?), there is very little Japanese names being thrown around, which suggests a more "outsourcing" type of relationship and MAL (& other anime DB) tends to not allow those. Besides, it is obviously directed to a non-Japanese audience first and foremost with how much they push that the cast from the live action movie is back and all that, something once again tends to be a "no no".

That said, it is worth pointing out, as always in these discussions, that whether something is anime or not doesn't mean anything in regards to the quality. For all we know, it might be better then 90%+ anime shows regardless if we call it anime or not.

Yes, I'm putting this here!

Employees being non-Japanese doesn't really make something any less anime in my opinion. Science SARU was co-founded by Eunyoung Choi who is Korean while the Spanish Abel Gongora is one of their very first employees. Look at the credits to any modern anime and you're bound to see foreign involvement on many levels. Take Hakuyu Go for example. One of the most celebrated episode directors in recent years and he's Taiwanese. Or Jujutsu Kaisen season 1's Korean director Sunghoo Park. Wonder Egg Priority even had an episode outsourced to a foreign team led by French and Italian producers. This duo would later go on to produce the Girls' Frontline OP.

I could go on but overall I think the nationality of those involved in production doesn't really matter too much. At the end of the day I'm still gonna call Scott Pilgrim an anime and won't be looking to a site like MAL for affirmation on that.

Employees being non-Japanese doesn't really make something any less anime in my opinion. Science SARU was co-founded by Eunyoung Choi who is Korean while the Spanish Abel Gongora is one of their very first employees. Look at the credits to any modern anime and you're bound to see foreign involvement on many levels. Take Hakuyu Go for example. One of the most celebrated episode directors in recent years and he's Taiwanese. Or Jujutsu Kaisen season 1's Korean director Sunghoo Park. Wonder Egg Priority even had an episode outsourced to a foreign team led by French and Italian producers. This duo would later go on to produce the Girls' Frontline OP.

I could go on but overall I think the nationality of those involved in production doesn't really matter too much. At the end of the day I'm still gonna call Scott Pilgrim an anime and won't be looking to a site like MAL for affirmation on that.

Certainly. And you do you when it comes to what you think is anime or not. The term is vague as it is, with some refusing to call something like Crayon Shin-san "anime" while on the other hand defending Avatar as being one. Besides, I agree on the fact that whether or not something is anime is not tied to what MAL or any anime DB label something as, I merely pointed out that I do not think those will consider it anime as they have guidelines that it will not meet.

Certainly. And you do you when it comes to what you think is anime or not. The term is vague as it is, with some refusing to call something like Crayon Shin-san "anime" while on the other hand defending Avatar as being one. Besides, I agree on the fact that whether or not something is anime is not tied to what MAL or any anime DB label something as, I merely pointed out that I do not think those will consider it anime as they have guidelines that it will not meet.
Yeah that's all fair. I think sites like those could do with being a bit loose on their guidelines. Not so much to open the floodgates for all of Cartoon Network's output to be added but definitely for cases like this.

So no more of those nice Studio Ghibli Collector's Editions with the lovely 3-panel digipaks I was collecting - and their major blunder of pressing the wrong movie disks for Nausicaa, which will never get fixed now. Sigh.

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You is returning with a third season streaming exclusively on Netflix.

The first two seasons aired in October 2009 & January 2011, and were released on home video (subtitled only) by NIS America.

Given they were added to Netflix months back, this is a surprise news.

This is certainly exciting news, do we know how many episodes this season will be? (I have the Premium Blu-ray/DVD boxes from NIS America) I am also interested to see if this will result in all three seasons getting English dubs :)

Back