Supercar's Storywriter from Eureka 7 would be the best way to wake up pumped up
I haven't watched Eureka Seven yet, so I listened to the track. Very nice. 😀

You know, sometimes I find myself thinking that we need a general mecha anime thread on AUKN for discussing things like that. It could cover discussion of things like Eureka, Gurren Lagann, Darling in the FranXX, Code Geass, Back Arrow...

Would anyone be interested in something like that? 🤔

You know, sometimes I find myself thinking that we need a general mecha anime thread on AUKN for discussing things like that.
Good idea! Just make sure it's called Evangelion is king of mecha anime (ok just ignore that please). That list you have is ripe for simulcasting by the way heheh!

I haven't watched Eureka Seven yet, so I listened to the track. Very nice. 😀
Yeah that's the best track from the series in my opinion, and it generally has pretty good music. Worth a watch. Interestingly enough, I got into it like you did with Evangelion by watching the hi evolution movies on screenanime before getting into the anime heh.

Interestingly enough, I got into it like you did with Evangelion by watching the hi evolution movies on screenanime before getting into the anime
Crikey, really? Wow. Oh well, it worked out very nicely, eh? 😁

I've got Eureka Seven and Goodnight, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers on BD, and AO on DVD but I haven't watched any of them yet. 😅

A mecha thread might be a good outlet for any thoughts on it, though...

That list you have is ripe for simulcasting by the way
You know what? Yeah... 😅

The problem is that Eureka and Geass are around 50 episodes each. That's pretty challenging to get people synched up for a simulwatch schedule.

Gurren Lagann has been suggested for simulwatch before and has probably a more manageable episode count. I'd love to rewatch it again sometime this year, too. And FranXX as well, definitely. And Geass. And SSSS.Gridman...

As for a mecha thread, I'll rustle something up and we'll see how it goes, then. 👍
I'll post the link to it here. It'll hopefully become useful for something at some point.

As promised above, a miscellaneous mecha discussion thread now exists:

As promised above, a miscellaneous mecha discussion thread now exists:
I always wanted to like Mecha but I just can’t get into it... I don’t know why either coz I really like the Transformers movies and the first Pacific Rim

Mind if I borrow your quote about watching Evangelion on Netflix for here, buddy? 🙂

I know a lot of people hate the new English dub but presume that’s a nostalgia thing. I saw a quick comparison a while ago and personally felt the new dub was better... don’t hate me 😂
I've just watched a couple of comparison clips on YouTube and, much to my surprise, the 1990s ADV dub seemed like it might actually come across a little better than the newer Netflix one. 😯

But I also watched a clip of the Netflix version of a certain well-known scene from a later episode which I won't spoil for you here, and I felt that that came across rather well, so it seems as though it'd be a tough call between the two. I haven't heard all the characters either, so I'm really not in any position to try to judge it.

I haven't seen Eva with the Netflix dub, and I've heard only bits and pieces of the ADV one. I wasn't sold on the casting for certain characters in the latter, and nothing could ever replace the original Japanese cast for me anyway.

A lot of people no doubt feel the same way about the ADV dub, too.

Last edited:
Mind if I borrow your quote about watching Evangelion on Netflix for here, buddy? 🙂

I've just watched a couple of comparison clips on YouTube and, much to my surprise, the 1990s ADV dub seemed like it might actually come across a little better than the newer Netflix one. 😯

But I also watched a clip of the Netflix version of a certain well-known scene from a later episode which I won't spoil for you here, and I felt that that came across rather well, so it seems as though it'd be a tough call between the two. I haven't heard all the characters either, so I'm really not in any position to try to judge it.

I haven't seen Eva with the Netflix dub, and I've heard only bits and pieces of the ADV one. I wasn't sold on the casting for certain characters in the latter, and nothing could ever replace the original Japanese cast for me anyway.

A lot of people no doubt feel the same way about the ADV dub, too.
I always find when there are multiple English dubs, u get some characters that are voiced better on one and some on another. I’d sometimes like to merge dubs together... if only I had the technology 😂

I always find when there are multiple English dubs, u get some characters that are voiced better on one and some on another.
Innit, though. 😅

Like, from the YouTube clips I was watching, the Netflix dub sounded a bit stilted (just as I'd heard, actually), but Shinji and another character in that later scene I mentioned sounded really good.

I was pleasantly surprised by those two. 🤔

I’m kinda avoiding all the messages above coz I’m halfway through but wanted to give my thoughts. I enjoyed the start and found it intriguing, the action was cool, theres some seriously cool animation at times and I really wanna know more about the angles but then Oscar came in and I find her the most irritating character I’ve seen in a quite some time, my wife felt the same. That kinda spoiled our viewing a little bit but we kept going.

Last night I watched Episodes 12 to 16... I felt the pacing has completely dropped and I have to say my desire to watch more has fallen to... I don’t really wanna watch anymore... the recap episode didn't help and I skipped that about half way through... too much text pop ups for me... to add to that the last episode I watched (16) looks so different to the rest.. im guessing the shipped it out to some else to do.., it doesn’t look HD but even the animation and background art seems a far cry from where it was.

Last time I pushed myself to watch a show was Wolfs Rain... I’ve never mentioned this on here before but I never watched the last episode. I’d pushed myself as far as I could go and I didn’t enjoy it all. So I kinda feel I don’t wanna do the same with this. Especially since they redid the ending in a movie coz people weren’t happy with it. Sorry to all those that love it but right now it’s heading to the dropped pile. My wife really doesn’t wanna watch anymore so I’d have to sit through it myself and my time is limited on that front... I think that’s why I really like OVA’s 😂

Last edited:
then Oscar came in
Dan I was so confused and then realized Oscar = Asuka 😂😅
There's this guy on YouTube called Leo who posts videos of himself playing various Evangelion games. I swear, with his Aussie accent, every time he says "Asuka", I briefly think he's saying "Oscar". Every single time! 😆😅

I don’t really wanna watch anymore...
I would honestly say that if you're not enjoying what NGE's turned into at this point, then you probably are better off just calling it quits. It's only going to become less and less action-focussed from there on, and then the last two episodes... 😵❓

It will mean missing out on the alternative-ending movie The End of Evangelion, though, which is a stunning achievement in animation and abstracted story presentation. The film contains some very surprising and even shocking material, and also one of the very best hand-drawn giant robot battle sequences you'll ever see.

But then I'm biased. 😋

There's this guy on YouTube called Leo who posts videos of himself playing various Evangelion games. I swear, with his Aussie accent, every time he says "Asuka", I briefly think he's saying "Oscar". Every single time! 😆😅

Made me think of The Rose of Versailles as well XP I only knew that wasn't the show being referred to cuz Oscar is introduced in the first episode (and also is not considered annoying by most people but there's an element of subjectivity to that).

Dan I was so confused and then realized Oscar = Asuka 😂😅

I would honestly say that if you're not enjoying what NGE's turned into at this point, then you probably are better off just calling it quits. It's only going to become less and less action-focussed from there on, and then the last two episodes... 😵❓

It will mean missing out on the alternative-ending movie The End of Evangelion, though, which is a stunning achievement in animation and abstracted story presentation. The film contains some very surprising and even shocking material, and also one of the very best hand-drawn giant robot battle sequences you'll ever see.

But then I'm biased. 😋
Oops, I swore they were saying Oscar... I’m gonna blame the dub cast 😂 I do think it was an odd name for her but there u go.

I’ll leave it there then mate. Wonder if I can still pick up the End if Evangelion. I’m a sucker for quality animation. Even some parts of the show were really well animated.. anything mechanical was a joy to look at. How much more would I need to watch for that to EoE to make sense?

Edit: Just listened to it on the dub comparison on YouTube... I hear it now... Oscar 🤦‍♂️😂

Last edited:
Back