it makes us feel like Shinji in this alien world
Exactly that. That's what's so clever about it: both Shinji and the viewer are dropped right into the middle of the same unfamiliar setting and assailed with impenetrable jargon. We don't understand any more as the audience than Shinji does as a participant, so we're along for the ride with him.

What's doubly clever, though, I think, is that after seeing only the first 10 minutes of the finale, we already understand much better what WILLE are doing: they're not just trying to survive in the post-Third Impact world, but actually have the ambition and technology to restore the environment to a habitable state. It makes Shinji's attempt in 3.0 to fix everything with a proverbial snap of the fingers look really self-centred and myopic. What WILLE are doing is definitely not the work of five minutes: it must have taken a lot of sweat, toil and time to get where they've gotten to. There are no quick fixes.

Rewatching 3.0 now, you can actually understand and empathise with the Wunder crew's attitude of "Look, we can't deal with you at the moment, Shinji; this is a busy time for us."

Very clever indeed.

EVA 01 is still needed by WILLE to power the Wunder so it would be interesting to see how it’s used this time I assume something will happen to Wünder to affect 01.
Looking at the opening shot of the Xmas Day teaser, it looks to me like it could be Unit-01's left arm being reconstructed. Unit-01 has certainly been restored to a good enough standard to be able to face off against Eva-13 in hand-to-hand combat, but we'll hopefully get into that a bit more. I know I certainly have an idea or two I'd love to share here.

Then there's the small matter of the enemy Wunder to deal with as well. WILLE are gonna be kept busy! 😅

Very well put points about the third movie placing the audience in Shinji's shoes, and then on WILLE's motivations and not having time to indulge our poor confused protagonist. Watching it the first time I certainly empathised with him thinking, gosh why are they getting so dismissive of him and not even trying with a potential asset, but yeah, bigger fish to fry and all! Ugh, I've forgotten so much, and wanted to watch the original series first but think I will be bringing forward the rebuild movies on my watchlist, maybe for new year bingeing heh.

Sorry bout' that but to me NGE is an average series at best despite the angst of Anno. Having said that I do have both of the Platinum ADV sets (thinpack and "christmas" varients) and all 3 of the remake movies (original Funi bluray releases)+ the much maligned Manga dvds of End Of Evangelion and Death And Rebirth-go figure?

Last edited:
I'm one of those people who will always believe that Shinji is best girl :) <3 (but also Misato's pretty great). I loved Evangelion and will probably watch it again soon, I have the US ADV Platinum Edition Singles with box and all the booklets and honestly I'm not sure I wanna part with it even though I will totally be placing a pre-order for the Anime Limited Blu-ray set as well :)

Very frustrating but hopefully everyone can eventually enjoy it safely.
Indeed. What must be done must be done; there are bigger things at stake here. It's just frustrating, all the things that are all getting caught up in COVID.

To bring up something release-related to add to this thread, I understand that a slightly tweaked version of 3.33, called — wait for it — 3.333 has been screening in Japanese cinemas. Apparently it has a new end-of-film preview. This new preview omits Eva Unit-08+02, suggesting that that concept has been scrapped. It also has a new narration over it. Here is a translation I read online:
"Misato and the Wille crew sortie to settle everything.

Asuka and Mari pilot the Eva to settle everything.

Shinji confronts his father Gendo to settle everything.

And Shinji decides, farewell to all Evangelion.

Next time: New Evangelion Theatrical Edition.

And until the end, I'll give you service, service~!"

SOURCE:

It all sounds so very, well... final. 😯

Indeed. What must be done must be done; there are bigger things at stake here. It's just frustrating, all the things that are all getting caught up in COVID.

To bring up something release-related to add to this thread, I understand that a slightly tweaked version of 3.33, called — wait for it — 3.333 has been screening in Japanese cinemas. Apparently it has a new end-of-film preview. This new preview omits Eva Unit-08+02, suggesting that that concept has been scrapped. It also has a new narration over it. Here is a translation I read online:
"Misato and the Wille crew sortie to settle everything.

Asuka and Mari pilot the Eva to settle everything.

Shinji confronts his father Gendo to settle everything.

And Shinji decides, farewell to all Evangelion.

Next time: New Evangelion Theatrical Edition.

And until the end, I'll give you service, service~!"

SOURCE:

It all sounds so very, well... final. 😯
I'm really hoping that whatever we get, it just nails it for the series, and yes is final! Though I think as someone mentioned, Eva is a depiction of life's struggles which never really end heh.

Just finished watching the original series (couldn't resist!) so am now going to aim for the rebuild movies this weekend and then hit evageeks articles you've sent links to on this, and the simulcast thread, to turn my brain to mush! Had originally delayed re-watching when Netflix released it to build up some mental fortitude given the toll Eva takes. Am now thinking that January was probably not the best time to re-watch it all, especially EoE heh.

Just finished watching the original series (couldn't resist!) so am now going to aim for the rebuild movies this weekend and then hit evageeks articles you've sent links to on this
Yep, I just spotted your post in the Eva simulwatch thread, dude. I really liked your point about the series needing both its endings (episodes 25 and 26 and EoE).

Personally, as someone who got into Eva in the first place through Rebuild, I'm hugely looking forward to reading any thoughts you might have. We've got a bit more time to speculate about the finale now, what with the delay!

Oh, and beware the Eva rabbit hole, my friend: that Evageeks wiki is an almost bottomless resource! 😜

We've got a bit more time to speculate about the finale now, what with the delay!
Heheh I was always pretty pessimistic regarding the UK release and expecting it in 2022 really... I remember looking for a way to watch 3.0 after the Japan release and eventually finding a video online which a very kind soul, bless them, had added subtitles for and then only a year or two later getting a chance to buy the UK release!

Personally never been a fan of a story being redone and found it unique to Japanese media but Eva is definitely one where I feel each ending definitely adds new complementary layers to the story. So am optimistic about the final movie and wonder if it will take the middle ground between the original ending's bare and positive ending and EoE's bleak and despair ridden end but still with its own a ray of hope!

Oh, and beware the Eva rabbit hole, my friend: that Evageeks wiki is an almost bottomless resource! 😜
Oh yes, definitely need to heed that warning as I can see myself disappearing down there! Yet another feather is Eva's cap is how it excels in so, so many aspects, with the fantastic lore and world building inspiring as much detailed discourse as the character study, study of depression, etc,etc.

Finally got around to finishing the rebuild movies in between life & regularly dozing off whilst valiantly trying to stay awake late into the nights.

Enjoyed them more than I expected (my obvious bias notwithstanding). As before, I found the first a nice hd remaster of the start of the original series but something I'd not noticed last time, was the ocean colour being red at the start, as if the world was a continuation from EoE (though Shinji's conversation with Kaji about the change in fact also being recent would be converse to that), and then Kaworu's self-aware statement at the end about "...this time".

I really liked the second one this time around. I thought the character development was very good in that, even if unsurprisingly rushed in comparison to the series down to time constraints. I felt that it seemed like the characters had actually subconsciously learnt from previous events (again with the view that rebuild is a continuation) demonstrating more maturity inherently. Almost felt like a more positive/kinder take after EoE of the original story.

And then the third one takes all of that and throws it all out, which I think was actually great in terms of novelty, including how thedoctor2016 mentioned about being put in Shinji's shoes to feel the disorientation. For me it also felt that this was the viewer for the first time being introduced to the new story of rebuild, with a lovely demonstration of how Tokyo 3 and the familiar settings have changed/deteriorated after all the time has passed since the original story we first saw all those years back. I wonder if there is a relevance to the time skip of 14 years matching the original age of the pilots? However, it lacked the heart of Eva by the sparsity of character development in my opinion, and I still don't know what Mari's addition is adding to the narrative. Ultimately I felt it was very much scene setting in preparation for the finale.
I'm kind of ambivalent about 3.33, though. I feel like I do enjoy it overall, but at the same time I accept that it plays out basically like a showcase of intricate but self-indulgent design work,
Very much agree with it being a showcase! Neil.T I find your introduction to and reverse watch order of Eva fascinating! Watching the original must have been quite something in some ways, and also EoE in between all that?!

Few random leftover thoughts:
1. Interesting changes to the nerv logo on rebuild - any overt significance to these is lost on me...
2. Misato has great taste in cars!
3. I found the use of rainbows interesting, with the mention of God's bow on evageeks, though I don't quite get it, and also that didn't fit with the rainbow seen when Shinji lands on Rei in her apartment - probably reading too much into it heh.

Right, now to watch the trailers and first ten minutes of the next one on repeat until the final one is released heh.

Back