Your viewing journal

BanzaiJedi said:
The Perfect Insider ep 1. A very character driven and dialogue heavy series. You will need to have your braincells turned on if you decide to watch this. Very noitamina.

I thought it was quite up itself, it says lots, but very little is of any substance (although, to be fair, I think it knows the character in question needs to shut the hell up).

Buzz201 said:
BanzaiJedi said:
The Perfect Insider ep 1. A very character driven and dialogue heavy series. You will need to have your braincells turned on if you decide to watch this. Very noitamina.

I thought it was quite up itself, it says lots, but very little is of any substance (although, to be fair, I think it knows the character in question needs to shut the hell up).
All true, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt (and quietly hoping it might signal a return to the great noitamina anime of the past).

BanzaiJedi said:
All true, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt (and quietly hoping it might signal a return to the great noitamina anime of the past).

I enjoyed it, but had it been less self-aware about how ridiculous that guy was being, I would have probably dropped it.

Seraph Of The End 1-3

I started reading the manga when its serialisation in Weekly Shonen Jump started and thought it was okay but nothing great. WIT Studios' anime adaptation however, has been pretty spectacular so far. Funnily enough, I thought the same about Attack On Titan - so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on WIT Studios in the future.

Shinoa is no doubt best girl.

tumblr_nqkof9PciF1r2wjiwo1_500.gif

I've just sat through all of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Netflix. Didn't see the first series, so coming in with a fresh pair of eyes.

Goddamn that's a good show. Really enjoyed it, great set of character - nice quick pace to everything. Would heartily recommend.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex-Episode 7

Some fantastic fight choreography in this one. Although, I will admit, it is one of the first episodes I've had to read the synopsis for afterward to make the story click in my head. So I'm glad that feature is there on the disc.

animefreak17 said:
Buzz201 said:
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Episodes 01-03

Christ this show is hammy. How it gained it's cult reputation is beyond me...

:roll: tell me about it

It was put on at my uni's Anime, Comics and Gaming Society, but I'd wanted to watch it for a while. Everybody else seemed to love it, but the whole thing feels like something a psychopathic 12 year old would ad-lib "and then they kill a tonne of civilians, and then they bomb an entire suburb, then they kill the baby, and then, and then, and then..." The entire thing not being helped by LeLouch's status a pretentious absolutely unlikeable wazzock, and seriously people who use chess pieces mid-battle are the absolute worst, find a new trope to abuse already...

I may take some heat for saying this, but it seems a lot of incredibly popular anime is just incredibly childish and really simplistic in it's worldview. It's a shame, because I really wanted to like it... :(

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road (Japanese audio) - Episodes 13-16 (YP Episodes 51-54)

So far for Sohoku:
- Onoda is still going and kicking, I'm willing to bet he will be the one who'll finish first. He's the main protagonist after all.
- Naruko just went blind and bailed out.
- Imaizumi has gone straight ahead to 1st place though he's just jinxed himself. I bet his plan is to make Juichi bail (as well as himself).
- Makishima is up against Touhou, effectively planning to battle each bother until they both bail out.
- Tadokoro used up all of his strength to get the team close to Hakone before the mountains. He bailed out but is still riding along!
- Kinjou had a bad leg and was forced to bail out. At least his spirit got to the 1st years.
And speaking of the end images (most notably the swimsuit ones), they're really trying to make Onoda perverted aren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aura Battler Dunbine - Episodes 10 & 11

Buzz201 said:
animefreak17 said:
Buzz201 said:
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Episodes 01-03

Christ this show is hammy. How it gained it's cult reputation is beyond me...

:roll: tell me about it

It was put on at my uni's Anime, Comics and Gaming Society, but I'd wanted to watch it for a while. Everybody else seemed to love it, but the whole thing feels like something a psychopathic 12 year old would ad-lib "and then they kill a tonne of civilians, and then they bomb an entire suburb, then they kill the baby, and then, and then, and then..." The entire thing not being helped by LeLouch's status a pretentious absolutely unlikeable wazzock, and seriously people who use chess pieces mid-battle are the absolute worst, find a new trope to abuse already...

I may take some heat for saying this, but it seems a lot of incredibly popular anime is just incredibly childish and really simplistic in it's worldview. It's a shame, because I really wanted to like it... :(

I'm on the same page with this, I really can't understand why Code Geass has gained such a cult status, it wasn't terrible, I quite enjoyed a lot of it, but it certainly wasn't any sort of classic, and hammy and childish it definitely was!

People like Code Geass for the same reasons people like Game of Thrones - eg. power dynamics, intrigue, shock, everything OTT and to the max when it comes to sheer audacity. Except throw in a futuristic alternate reality setting, mechs, insane fanservice and a green-haired, pizza-loving witch.

I don't think Game of Thrones is that hammy, and it certainly isn't pretentious enough to think it has anything to say, unlike Geass.

Also the whole killing and then not killing his best friend in the opening episode(s) felt spineless and unearned. If you want me to care that somebody died, give me a reason, and them having a conversation when they were 10 doesn't really count. I think I'd have preferred it if it had been as brazenly manipulative as Tokyo Ghoul was, at least Tokyo Ghoul was trying to make you give a crap.

Back