Your viewing journal

I don't see how a show being hammy is a bad thing? It seemed pretty obvious that the Geass creators were deliberately making something insane rather than shooting for a realistic life-changing experience.

Personally I thought Code Geass was extremely entertaining; it's not on my personal top 10 (or even top 100) list, but sometimes it's ok to switch off your brain and just watch Lelouch being outrageous. If the entire concept winds you up then it's not going to get any better so it would be advisable to try another kind of show.

R

I dropped it and ran after three episodes, and in an attempt to find something at little less melodramaticly psychopathic played Cards Against Humanity instead :p. I will not be picking it back up.

I think the problem is that it was quite childish and hammy, Akame ga Kill and Terraformars were hammy, but never offputtingly childish and I let them get away with a lot more as a result.

Haha, whereas I dropped Terraformars and Akame Ga Kill as I thought they were too offputtingly simplistic for me :D

Over-the-top hamminess is definitely a love it/hate it thing. I can tolerate (and even love) it when it's done deliberately and obviously but when it's trying to be cool rather than silly it winds me up. I guess it's down to the viewer and how they interpret it.

R

I haven't seen Geass but just from hearing people talk about the show, I take it that it being a new IP the surprise and escalation from episode to episode when it first aired with everything being unpredictable was what excited people coupled with many so bad its good moments that would take the uninitiated off guard.

That seems a pretty fair assessment. Having been fortunate enough to see Geass with next to no knowledge of any hype surrounding it, I thought it was an amusing bit of pulp nonsense that worked on the level of a tacky page-turner, but I never expected it to be more than that.

I never liked it because if it's forced plots and Lelouchs forced plans that we the audience is supposed to think will work... Lelouch doesn't seem.to.push the series... but more like the series pushs him.

Ok who here has seen death note... in death note lights plans made alot of sense in not trying to get captured you feel the reasons why his plans can work.

Lelouch on the other hand flip flops fromil save my best friend to il kill my best friend for no reason even tho I killed the woman he loved ........... And has the check to say you would betray your friends when he has betrayed him

It feels like the plot is in control and makes the characters do what ever it wants.... like kallen finds out who zero is and that suzaku wasn't a traitor and euphy was a puppet of Lelouch

Also his zero plan makes no sense just listening to it made me feel I lost 5% of my intelligence.

Everyone in the series is a tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that Tiffany Grant (Asuka's English VA) does actually speak German in real life, which would obviously help.

It's funny because she plays a German character in Chrono Crusade too.

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road (Japanese audio) - Episodes 17-24 (YP Episodes 55-62) (Completed)

"This isn't even my final form"
[spoilerbutton]
CRXrW6oUwAA8EGe.jpg:large
[/spoilerbutton]

HIME HIME, HIME, SUKI SUKI DAISUKI HIME! HIME HIME, HIME, SUKI SUKI DAISUKI HIME!
HIME HIME, HIME, SUKI SUKI DAISUKI HIME! HIME HIME, HIME, SUKI SUKI DAISUKI HIME!

This show was such a fun ride, the ending itself was just hilarious (Onoda bringing everyone to Akiba with their reactions, it was flawless).

It's also interesting to point out that in various sport shows, most notably Kuroko's Basketball and Haikyuu!! (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THOSE TWO SHOWS), they generally lose the first tournament. But in this case Onoda wins so it's slightly unpredictable.

If you pay attention to the opening song you'll notice some foreshadowing on the fate of the team, that kind of spoiled it for me as I knew Onoda would end up as the last remaining member to get to the finish line in time for first place. Other than that overall I would give it an 8/10, the flashbacks were a bit overdone but it's understandable why they were placed where they were.

I look forward to Season 3 next year and of course there's the movie that was recently released in Japan (not to be confused with Re:Ride and Re:Road compilation films).

Now that Yowamushi Pedal is done the next sports title hasn't been decided yet but I'll probably go with Haikyuu!! Season 2.

Next up on the backlogs I have My Love Story, Ninja Slayer and Animator Expo Season 3 to go through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tokyo Ghoul √A - Episode 01
I feel like this episode rushed through all the important bits and padded out everything else. It ends with a character making a huge, basically nonsensical decision, seemingly for no reason other than there were some people watching him and one of the bad guys might not be completely evil after all. Fortunately the episode partly redeems itself with the first character moment that feels genuine and not just an attempt cynical manipulation of the audience.

Also, why is Hide watching? It's obvious they're building up to a 'heartbreaking' conclusion between the two of them, but how did work out Kaneki was a ghoul and how did he know they'd all be at that building?

Even the OP/EPs didn't make sense, why would you put the weak song as the OP and amazarashi as the EP?

Yeah the opening and ending are completely incorrect for Root A, especially as the ending sounds much more like an opening than the opening does!

--

The Perfect Insider episode 2 - Another long episode of what is realistically just set-up. I buffered through the last five minutes, so I'll have to rewatch the end tomorrow which seemed to be the most interesting bit. I really like this show but the next episode needs to actually do something.

K: Return of Kings - Episode 2
One Punch Man - Episode 2

Really like what I've seen of OPM so far. I'd be interested in purchasing the JP BDs at this stage should Engsub be included since it's been handed to incompetent distributors in both the US (Viz) and UK (Kaze). (Granted the US release could be salvaged entirely by giving the job of BD authoring to Justin.)

Buzz201 said:
Tokyo Ghoul √A - Episode 01
I feel like this episode rushed through all the important bits and padded out everything else. It ends with a character making a huge, basically nonsensical decision, seemingly for no reason other than there were some people watching him and one of the bad guys might not be completely evil after all. Fortunately the episode partly redeems itself with the first character moment that feels genuine and not just an attempt cynical manipulation of the audience.

Also, why is Hide watching? It's obvious they're building up to a 'heartbreaking' conclusion between the two of them, but how did work out Kaneki was a ghoul and how did he know they'd all be at that building?

Even the OP/EPs didn't make sense, why would you put the weak song as the OP and amazarashi as the EP?
I'll be interested in reading more about your thoughts on √A. I dropped Tokyo Ghoul after the first season when it was airing, and I've not exactly heard good things about the second either... Agreed on the OP/ED themes too. The first OP/ED themes were really good, but the second are just pretty awful in comparison.

Mangaranga said:
I'll be interested in reading more about your thoughts on √A. I dropped Tokyo Ghoul after the first season when it was airing, and I've not exactly heard good things about the second either...

To be honest, I'm not completely sure why I'm watching it. I kinda enjoy the show, but it is enormously flawed and although I don't normally have much difficultly with this, I'm finding it hard not see the obvious storytelling cogs working in the background. I'm guessing that the aggressive compacting and abridging that apparently went on for the anime removed some of the polish from the storytelling. It's one of those shows, like Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign (although it's not as good as SOTE), that's just an easy watch and a fun marathon.

From what I've heard, the second season is too far away from the manga for fans of the manga to appreciate, but leaves so much up in the air, that you have to read the manga for resolution to many of it's plot points.

I've got the first two volumes of the manga queued up ready to read, the third was released earlier this week digitally and next Monday physically, but I'm assuming it'll be a fair while before Viz get to √A territory. (Seriously, taking down the square root symbol every time I talk about this is going to become really annoying...)

Back