Your viewing journal

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex-Episodes 5 and 6

An interesting couple of episodes. Some great action and story. Really reminds me of Psycho Pass which I assume this show was a big influence on. I do wonder how often the complex episodes are going to appear, hopefully there is a good mix of Complex and Stand Alone episodes. Another thing I will comment on is the fact this show has a lot of awkward dub pauses. It's not show ruining but it is very distracting. I also want to add I loved the Major's outfit in these episodes. I really hope the brown coat/brown skirt/stockings combo becomes the default outfit, though I doubt it will :p

Tokyo Ghoul - Episodes 08-12

Whilst the first half of the season really benefits from it's insanely fast pacing, the last three episodes really don't.

Overall, the series is a bit of a mess, it's never scary, it's never disgusting, and with one or two notable exceptions there's never really any sense of peril throughout, even when the huge final arc kicks in and something huge happens. Not helped by the fact all the interesting people live, even when they appear to have been killed. And whilst the final episode was clearly trying to give it's events the space needed, it sort of takes forever on the first part of the transformation and before you know it Kaneki's hair has suddenly turned white. All of this is not helped by the series seemingly introducing major characters only for them to be sidelined, completely ignored and then feature less than supporting characters. I can only assume Hide has a much greater part in the manga, because he seemingly popped up once every three episodes, just to remind you he still existed.

In fact, I think the main problem with the series is exactly what happened with Hide; it doesn't care about it's characters, so why should I? It's clear that the characters are all means to an end and actually the series was written by somebody sat behind their computer working out how best to illicit certain reactions from people. (I will be truly amazed if Hide doesn't die by the end of the franchise, and then his death becomes Kaneki's motivation.) Which explains why there's almost no character development in the work at all, until the bizarre revelation of the last episode about Kenaki's mother and why the only death that''s really affecting actually felt like manipulative button pushing.

It hasn't really done a lot to convince that it wasn't thought up by a 12 year old, because that's the level it operates on for most of it's running length. Despite all that I did really enjoy it, not as much as a lot of other people did, but I'll certainly be giving √A a try next, even if it is apparently horrible.

Also, the bad guy's name is genuinely Jason. Turns out Jason is the least scary name ever, and his whole non-scariness is not helped by us a) not really meeting him until he's already gone full-psycho and b) him having no motivation whatsoever, he literally just violently tortures people for basically no reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road (Japanese audio) - Episodes 05-08 (YP Episodes 43-46)

Good lord this new team of rivals are insane. This series just gets better and better with its villains, I'm impressed.

Lupin III: Part 3 - ep8

This week, Lupin & co. escape from a besieged house by going down the side of a mountain in a tin bath. Could not unsee Last of the Summer Wine...

Attack on Titan: Junior High ep 2.

Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation- ep 1. The crime-solving elements of this feel a little like Ranpo Kitan, albeit without the insane weirdness.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight ep 2. It's not going to get any better is it.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans ep 2.

Yona of the Dawn OVA. Nice to see some canon material used in an OVA for once.

YuruYuri (Season 3) Episode 2.

I'd be interested to know how other people are finding this season so far but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It almost seems like they're deliberately doing the things I like and setting aside the parts I wasn't so keen on.

Sakurako and Himawari's segment was the highlight for me but it was interesting that just about everything else was almost as good. The bit with Ayano and Kyoko was a very strong contender, although it felt kind of weird since Kyoko didn't derail the very nice moment. It's like the writers have figured out how to keep Kyoko as the eccentric she is without feeling that they need to go over the top and cross the line. I hope they can keep this up, while I'm resistant to the idea of Kyoko becoming my favourite character it'd be pretty amazing if they managed to pull it off. Also, when did I become Tsundere for Kyoko? Was this the plan all along?

I don't think Chitose appeared in this episode at all. I wonder if they're finding it difficult to fit her into the new style, in the first season her fantasies were a major part of the show but they've been set aside with the move into a more slice of life/cute girls doing cute things style. I hope they can figure something out for her without having to go back to the old ways.

Mr. Osomatsu/Osomatsu-san Episode 2.

As expected, it's a bit different to the first episode. It was reasonably entertaining and there were a couple of quite strong moments but I wouldn't say it was consistently funny. I have to admit, the humour generally wasn't quite my favourite type. There was a bit more toilet humour and less jokes where someone does something silly while another reacts/overreacts. Still, even some of the lower tone jokes managed to make me laugh so it wasn't too bad overall.

I did enjoy the segment where Osomatsu (the oldest brother) tries to learn more about his brothers but ends up causing trouble, particularly the part where he goes to drown his sorrows. His reaction to the advice he receives was well played. The other half of the episode with the factory felt a bit weaker in general.

I wonder if they're going to mix up the comedy (and maybe even try some other things) in each episode, that could be interesting. I don't know if this'll turn out to be a great show overall but I think it could be entertaining each week.

Komori-san Can't Decline/Komori-san wa Kotowarenai! Episode 2.

It's probably too early to say this but I kind of feel like this could maybe have been a longer show. It's hard to judge with just two minutes but I did enjoy this episode and it ended well. It seems like there could be a neat little sketch comedy, slice of life and/or cute girls doing cute things type show here.

Comet Lucifer 1-2
A giant crystal explodes to reveal an unconscious girl because of course it did, which was followed by a mech fight because of course it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road (Japanese audio) - Episodes 09-12 (YP Episodes 47-50)

Not long now till the end of the race. The power of Hime will keep Onoda going.

Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon ep 1. A silly premise that might be somewhat fun to watch.

The Perfect Insider ep 1. A very character driven and dialogue heavy series. You will need to have your braincells turned on if you decide to watch this. Very noitamina.

Back