Your viewing journal

fabricatedlunatic said:
But the biggest surprise for me is the "softening" of the characters; they're all far more likeable (though it was never a problem for me that they weren't) this time around. I suppose this is the difference between Hideako Anno in the midst of depression and post-depression.
Could also be the difference between nothing being expected of the series, and the marketing guys now fully understanding that they are sitting on a financial goldmine with as much incentive as possible to keep the franchise's popularity as high as it can be.

/cynical

The Borrower Arrietty-Got the dvd today and wasted no time in watching it,simply beautiful and charming after Goro Miyazakis blip in the Ghibli cannon Hiromasa Yonebayashi has more than made up for that and redeemed the studios good name,his experience working for Ghibli through the years really shows in this his directorial debut,like most Ghbili movies its the small attention to detail that makes there movies so special and every little frame no matter how small has been thought through and planned to perfection,also a special mention goes to the beautiful music composed by french composer Cécile Corbel.A sweet charming title that i,ll be re-watching several times over the next few days and another classic in the ever growing number of classics in the Ghibli cannon and if Miyazaki ever does retire any time soon its good to see that the studio has younger directors who are more than capable of releasing classic movies,and i wait with baited breath for Goro Miyazakis next movie Kokurikozaka Kara it will be very intresting to see how it does when its released in japan,i have faith that he has learned from his mistakes and maybe the disaster of Tales from Earthsea was the making of him,we shall wait and see.

Tiger & Bunny ep 9 - Pao-Lin, new favorite character! Dem thighs...

Also massive plus points for having the whole A plot just be a setup for a punch line at Tiger's expense. :lol:

Ano Hana episode 11 (Complete) -

I hate my emotions sometimes, I cry at Madoka Magica and now I do the same to the last episode of Ano Hana.

Thankfully with all the gripes i've had with the series such as underwelment in certain scenes and a dislike to some of the characters even so late in episodes I'm looking at you Yukiatsu were reduced thanks to this episode.

Unless Denpa impresses me, this could very well be the best series of the Spring season thats ending now and does deserves the praise it gets, I just wonder if this will be in my Top 5 anime of the year when it comes around.

8/10

Astarottes Toy episode 12 (Complete) - While this ending is as cliche as it gets and I compare it to so many anime of it's genre that have just been poor, I will say that Astarottes Toy did enough to set it apart from them. So why have I been defending an anime with such a ludicrous concept, one word "family".

The family concept really did shine through the series, Naoya who is supposed to be the male lead of the series who traveled to this monster realm with her daughter Asuha, did not end up being are tsundere princess love interest but he was more of a father figure for the most part, giving support rather than putting him through awkward situations, where the series could easily could of done it, Asuha acts the same way as a sister. This is how I came to enjoy the series both Naoya and Asuha are very likeable.

It's far from perfect: A few annoying characters, Lotte is a uninteresting for the most part (Rie Kugimiya voicing her could be one of the reasons) and some facepalm ecchi moments.

In the end it's still very hard to recommend Astarottes Toy at all but for one i'm impressed that I like it a lot more than other shows this season so to end this small review I'll leave you with this:

"Go home and be a family man"

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Y1iqJqNHX_g?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Y1iqJqNHX_g?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

7/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Back