Your viewing journal

Lawrence said:
It's not Evangelion the way I remember it but I'd certainly agree it was a rollercoaster of action.
Indeed... though it's been so long since I watched the TV series that I don't remember a lot of it. Personally I'm pleased that the movies aren't just high budget retreads and instead diverge heavily from the source material.

Evangelion 2.22 then. Oh. My. Gawd. That may just be the most epic thing I've seen since episode 7 of Giant Robo. Though towards the end it descended a bit into wtfúckery, everything that led up to that point was simply off the awesome scale. I'd begun to wonder how Tokyo 3 seemed to remain relatively unscathed despite the collateral damage wrought by each Angel attack - but I won't be wondering about that any more.

But the biggest surprise for me is the "softening" of the characters; they're all far more likeable (though it was never a problem for me that they weren't) this time around. I suppose this is the difference between Hideako Anno in the midst of depression and post-depression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Driver - Episode 12

There are some interesting character stories in Star Driver but I'm now finding the battle scenes very tedious.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Lawrence said:
It's not Evangelion the way I remember it but I'd certainly agree it was a rollercoaster of action.
Indeed... though it's been so long since I watched the TV series that I don't remember a lot of it. Personally I'm pleased that the movies aren't just high budget retreads and instead diverge heavily from the source material.

But the biggest surprise for me is the "softening" of the characters; they're all far more likeable (though it was never a problem for me that they weren't) this time around. I suppose this is the difference between Hideako Anno in the midst of depression and post-depression.

I agree, the new movies are a brilliant re-imaging of the TV series and I like the way they diverge from the TV series, and completely agree with your comments about the characters, I was fine with the way they were but I like the way they've been altered for the movies.

(re-watch)Nobodys Boy Remi episodes 46-51(complete)Pure and utter genius,no matter how many times i watch this it still packs the same emotional punch it had all those years ago,not one filler episode in sight,story and character development are the key here,easily one of the finest anime series ever made from the late great Osamu Dezaki.Also watched Cutie Honey tv series(1973)episode 20.

Back