Your viewing journal

I'll admit I only managed to finish Mai Mai Miracle when I watched it dubbed but I did think it was a nice movie and I'd watch it again, I believe Sunao Katabuchi also directed Princess Arete which I consider to be utterly magical and have watched several times :)

I think the animation is very cool in that one overall but I'm not the biggest fan of it either. I can see why you would hold such a high opinion of it though, it is beautiful and epic. I think once was enough for me for that one but I wouldn't mind rewatching The Venus Wars and Crusher Joe (same director) as I remember generally liking those. Wandering if you've seen Giant Gorg and what you thought of it? It's been on my list of things I most want to watch for a long time but I haven't gotten round to it yet :)

EDIT: They're doing a blu-ray box of Giant Gorg in 2022! Fingers crossed Discotek does a US release :)

:)

I have Princess Arete on the shelf as well and want to get round to it soon. I saw on ANN today that Sunao Katabuchi has teased his next film project that I'm very excited for.

TBH there's nothing I don't like about Arion, I love the story, the scale and the way it looks (even if it looks like the Gundam cast in a fantasy setting 😆). I really like Yas's work; Venus wars I've owned on VHS, DVD and now Blu-ray and have watched it countless times in the last 27 years, and I love the Crusher Joe movie (even though I'll freely admit I think The Ice Prison is better). Giant Gorg is an awesome series, I've seen it a couple of times now and would whole heartedly recommend it as the show maintains a fantastic sense of mystery throughout. I was very excited when the Blu-ray set got announced last year, I'm fairly certain Discotek will release it based on their release history and will pick it up straight away (even if it means another upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray 😅)

Teasing Master Takagi-san s3 e11
Happy Dried Sardine Day!

World's End Harem ep 11 (uncensored, complete)
Pulling out! 😏
One of those "I can't believe it's not hentai" shows and whilst there was a plot going on in the background our MC was such a wet blanket I think the director thought it would be a better idea to focus more on the "plot" of one of the side characters shagging as many high school girls as he could! TBF his backstory seemed to have a little more depth than the MC's. The main plot had some intrigue, but they didn't finish the story here, felt a bit like the first half of a 2 parter, but I'm not sure they'll be a second part.
Art and animation were pretty poor, I've seen better actual hentais and certainly the worst of all the ICBINH shows.
4/10

Jujutsu Kaisen 0
(subbed at the cinema)
It was pretty good, but not quite as good as the series especially the fights. I liked the new characters story, it was quite moving, but the bad guys motive seemed a bit tropey, although I just checked because I wasn't sure during and especially at the end where he seemed at deaths door when we last see him, but it is the same dude from the show, so either it wasn't explained in the show as clearly as it was here or I'd forgotten (probably the latter). The weird thing about prequels is that a lot of the time, because you know the outcome for (most of) the characters it lacks tension and I found it especially weird that the academy was obliterated meer months before the start of the show and none of the events get a mention of course because I guess this was written afterwards. Although again just checking MAL, 0 was published before the main series!? I thought 0 was used for prequels when written after the start of the series, like the Yukuza series. Either MAL is wrong or again I've forgotten!
I also don't remember the backgrounds in the show looking so clean and cg like, the characters looked a bit weird against those backdrops. Apart from that the art and animation was good, although Yuta's design was a bit bland compared to all the other characters.
8/10 (same as the series, but a lower 8)

Life With an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated Into a Total Fantasy Knockout episode 11 Protection?

The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt episode 11 Fragile alliance.

Baki episodes 1-18

Last edited:
Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro (English Dub) Episode 11

The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt (English Dub) Episode 3

Life With an Ordinary Guy who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout Episode 11

She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man Episode 11

The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt Episode 11

Teasing Master Takagi-san s3 e11
Happy Dried Sardine Day!

World's End Harem ep 11 (uncensored, complete)
Pulling out! 😏
One of those "I can't believe it's not hentai" shows and whilst there was a plot going on in the background our MC was such a wet blanket I think the director thought it would be a better idea to focus more on the "plot" of one of the side characters shagging as many high school girls as he could! TBF his backstory seemed to have a little more depth than the MC's. The main plot had some intrigue, but they didn't finish the story here, felt a bit like the first half of a 2 parter, but I'm not sure they'll be a second part.
Art and animation were pretty poor, I've seen better actual hentais and certainly the worst of all the ICBINH shows.
4/10

Jujutsu Kaisen 0
(subbed at the cinema)
It was pretty good, but not quite as good as the series especially the fights. I liked the new characters story, it was quite moving, but the bad guys motive seemed a bit tropey, although I just checked because I wasn't sure during and especially at the end where he seemed at deaths door when we last see him, but it is the same dude from the show, so either it wasn't explained in the show as clearly as it was here or I'd forgotten (probably the latter). The weird thing about prequels is that a lot of the time, because you know the outcome for (most of) the characters it lacks tension and I found it especially weird that the academy was obliterated meer months before the start of the show and none of the events get a mention of course because I guess this was written afterwards. Although again just checking MAL, 0 was published before the main series!? I thought 0 was used for prequels when written after the start of the series, like the Yukuza series. Either MAL is wrong or again I've forgotten!
I also don't remember the backgrounds in the show looking so clean and cg like, the characters looked a bit weird against those backdrops. Apart from that the art and animation was good, although Yuta's design was a bit bland compared to all the other characters.
8/10 (same as the series, but a lower 8)
Jujutsu Kaisen 0 was released in 2017 while Jujutsu Kaisen was first released in 2018. It was originally called Tokyo Metropolitan Curse Technical School and was retitled to Jujutsu Kaisen 0 and became a prequel when the main series was serialised.

as for the villain who died and returns in the anime series this all comes to light further on in the manga, passed where the anime stops.

2022-03-23.png

SABIKUI BISCO (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
World's End Harem (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2 (Note: watching the censored version, saving the goods for whenever the BDs are out)

unknown.png

One of the best girls has appeared, noice.

In the Land of Leadale episode 12 The World you live in. (Complete. A fairly chilled and enjoyable fantasy outing with a lead whose relationships stem from both friends and their grown-up children, making for some fun interactions.) 3.5/5

Police in a Pod
episode 12 Doll and detection.

Baki episodes 19-26 & Baki: Dai Raitaisai-hen episodes 1-10

Amagami SS episodes 9-13: still just barely maintaining interest in this. Third girl scenario. No unusual kissing points this time, but she was only 15. Incidentally, the whole story is about how our hero lost interest in love when he was stood up two years ago, which would make him 15 at that time. I've had my heart broken, but just because a girl failed to turn up, you give up entirely for years (without even asking her why?). Snowflake!

Tamako Love Story: now this is how to do romance. Best reaction to being told someone loves you in ages. I want some mochi now.

Show By Rock!! episodes 1-9: Put this on thinking it was one of those school band shows, which it was for about the first minute. Then it got crazy. Started out dubbed, but went to sub's after the opening credits as I felt it would be better for the music to be in the original (maybe I'll check out the dub properly one day). Break and then I'll finish this.

2022-03-24_37.png

My Dress-Up Darling (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
Princess Connect! Re: Dive Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2

2022-03-24_30.png

You were expecting bikini Marin? You chose... poorly.
2022-03-24_58.png

2022-03-24_3.png

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 6

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 2 Episode 11 Merciless.

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 2 episode 11 Destruction.

Baki: Dai Raitaisai-hen episodes 11-13 &
Baki Hanma episodes 1-12 (Complete. I’m now caught up with the recent adaptation of Baki and it’s been a fun watch asides from the Alai Jr content which didn’t do much for me.) 3.5/5

Amagami SS episodes 14-17: not sure I can make it much further.

Show By Rock episodes 10-12: Good ending, though I question the sanity of the makers of this series.

Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat episodes 1-9: not what I was expecting but I am enjoying it.

Back