Your viewing journal

My viewing has been all over the place lately. Was gonna attempt a better system for watching my physical backlog but with Sabagebu! leaving HIDIVE (thankfully still on Crunchyroll) I'm thinking of focusing on older series just in case they expire. At least this got me to watch Sabagebu! sooner and it's such a gift. Great humour with a relentless main character.

With the final film's release on Amazon I've been rewatching the Rebuild of Evangelion films in preparation. Evangelion 1.11 provides a great entry point for new fans while welcoming back previous fans with a more up to date remake of the first few episodes. Evangelion 2.22 veers into newer territory with most of the film loosely following the original series until the chaotic new ending. More great music from Shiro Sagisu, fantastic compositing and an interesting new take on the original concept. Really interested to see how Anno finishes this off.

SeriesEpisodes
Love Live! Superstar!!2/--Seasonal
The aquatope on white sand6/--Seasonal
The Legend of the Galactic Heroes31/110Streaming Backlog
Sabagebu!3/12Streaming Backlog
Release the Spyce3/12Streaming Backlog
Terror in Resonance1/11Physical Backlog
Eden of the East1/11Physical Backlog
Yona of the Dawn14/24Physical Backlog
Hello!! KINMOZA!1/12Physical Backlog

I've watched episodes 1-15 of Bodacious Space Pirates now, and the first three episodes of Mob Psycho 100 Season 2, episodes 1 and 3 of this season have been standouts so far, the first ep was just so romantic and the third ep made me think about important moral/ethical stuff :)

Drug Store in Another World - The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist episode 7 A kingly helper.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S episode 7 Vulgarity and ghosts.

NIGHT HEAD 2041 episode 6 Ideologies.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- episode 7 Interest.

Hikaru no Go episodes 37-48

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S (English Dub) Episode 2

Drugstore in Another World: The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist Episode 7 I

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S Episode 7

Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory (Uncensored) Episode 6

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon for You ~SNS~ OVA

Yesterday:
Revue Starlight (dub, rewatch) eps 5-8

Today:
Revue Starlight (dub, rewatch) eps 9-12 (complete)
Watching the dub didn't really help answer the main question (what was the stage of fate all about and why did they have to fight it out for top spot?), but a few things were a little clearer. I said some of the revues were a little confusing, but I think now that they were all about the character that the episode was focused on gaining some sort of perspective/understanding of themselves and the problem they faced during the episode.

Sonny Boy ep 6
Celluloid.

Battle Game in 5 Seconds
ep 6
Power reveal.

The Aquatope on White Sand ep 7
Day off.

Higurashi: When they Cry - Sotsu episode 9 Deception playing out.

Peach Boy Riverside episode 8 Protect.

The Aquatope on White Sand episode 7 Whim.

The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace episode 6 Weight.

Hikaru no Go episodes 49-60

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω (English Dub) Episode 7

Zombieland Saga Revenge (English Dub) Episode 4

Peach Boy Riverside Episode 8

The Aquatope on White Sand Episode 7

Finally finished off the franchise with Evangelion 3.33 and Evangelion 3.0+1.01 and man was 3.0+1.01 worth the wait. Got a lot to process after that but for now I'm really happy with how it ended. Thanks Hideaki Anno you absolute king

The Dungeon of Black Company ep 7
Familiar face and new mission.

The Case Study of Vanitas ep 8
Going underground.

Peach Boy Riverside ep 8 (on hold)
With the shuffling order at least most of the mini arcs finished before jumping, but last week left on a bit of cliffhanger and this week picks up from the conclusion to a different one 6 episodes later!!!
So it's going on hold for now till it's finished and I get round to watching it in the right order.

1m Lives s2 e7
New mission.

The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace ep 6
Heavy.

Villainess s2 e8
Speed dating.

World Witches Series: World Witches Take Off! (English Dub) Episode 3

Blue Reflection Ray Episode 19 Gateway.

Girlfriend, Girlfriend Episode 8 Clingy.

I'm Standing on a Million Lives 2nd Season Episode 19 Film shoot.

My Next Life As a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! X Episode 8 Engagement talks.

The Dungeon of Black Company Episode 7 Roommates.

Evangelion 2.22

Despite being initially not that keen, I warmed to the film as it went on and I think generally, it's a good time. Once it starts to really break away from the original storyline, it's fun to see what it would have been like if things had happened differently, and it really ramps up the spectacle throughout. The dialogue seems incredibly direct though. I don’t know if this is just down to Khara’s new translation or a feeling that retelling the story in a more condensed format left less room for ambiguity, but it seemed to take great pains to tell you exactly what was happening every time someone opens their mouth. Having been curious for a long time about what Mari would bring to the story, I can also report that she is definitely... there.

Beyond that, I think I'll need more time to process the film and see how I feel about it in the context of the other rebuilds. I certainly enjoyed it more than I feared I might do and I wouldn't mind seeing it again on a larger screen.

Blue Reflection Ray episode 19 Call out.

HameFura, My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! episode 8 Candidate.

The Case Study of Vanitas episode 8 Remains of the day.

The Dungeon of Black Company episode 7 House crashers.

Hikaru no Go episodes 61-75 (Complete. A solidly entertaining story despite some predicable turns towards the end.) 3.5/5

D_Cide ep 7
Countrysiders.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated ep 4
The Great Jahy has been defeated, by golf! The channel showing it in Japan is showing golf, so it got delayed. Haven't they heard of sports channels in Japan? Stuff gets delayed for sports all the time, wonder how nothing got delayed due to the Olympics?

Kageki Shoujo!! ep 8
Summer memories.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 34

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Episode 8 Powerless.

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka☆Magica Side Story Season 2 - The Eve of Awakening Episode 4 Transformation.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 20 Declaration.

Remake Our Life! Episode 7 Fanatic fiancee.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season Episode 42 Sleepover.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom episode 8 Thinned.

Kajeki Shojo!! episode 8 Support.

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Season 2 - The Eve of Awakening episode 4 Seeking an audience.

My Hero Academia Fifth Season episode 108 Weight.

Remake Our Life! episode 7 A riskier path.

The Honor at Magic High School episode 8 Elements.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 episode 19 Running in the family.

How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift? (Rewatch) episodes 1-12 (Complete. I recall enjoying this on broadcast and it was a decent rewatch this time around as well.) 3.5/5

Hozuki’s Coolheadedness (Rewatch)
episodes 1-9

Lord El Melloi II's Case Files
Love mystery shows so seeing one in the Fate universe was a lot of fun.

Demon Slayer
Finally watching this. Thought it would be massively overrated but I really enjoyed it. At least the 10 episodes were incredible. Then for no reason they decide it needs the most awful comic relief that doesnt fit with anything the show has done upto that point. Does get better again but still doesnt really fit for me. Annoyingly couldnt finish it last night. Have about 3 episodes left but going on holiday so will have to wait now. Does have a banging OP by liSa though.

K-on! season 1 rewatch
An absolute masterpiece of pure perfection. This is how you do character based comedy.

Rebuild of Evangelion
Great set of films and a wonderful send off

Did you get the recent boxset with the disc errors? I am loathe to return mine just in case we get different packaging as I absolutely love the inner ?sleeve art for the digipak and worry they won't re-release with that. I'm hoping they give us the opportunity to swap the discs later but that is looking unlikely from what's been said...

Back