Your viewing journal

Zin5ki said:
BlackWolf said:
Blue Gender eps 1+2 so far this looks to be an alright series
I've ordered this off PlayUSA for a steal. I've ended up dropping most of the shows I've been casually watching over the last week or two, so I'm probably not going to watch anything new until it arrives.

Let me know if it gets caught by customs or not if you wouldn't mind :) i wouldn't mind that set myself considering it also includes the movie

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 1-10

I started watching it because people always seem to give it 10/10 after watching. It's lived up to the hype so far, and I gave it 9/10 after watching the 10th episode.

The wide scope of the story is intimdating. The first episode wasn't good because it introduced something like 15 characters, giving names such as 'Bernt von Derkinhour' to each. I couldn't remember the names or roles of most. It improved since then, though, taking lots of time to add character development to Wenli (the main character from the Free Alliance) and Reinhard (the main character from the Galactic Empire). Due to the war sections of the story being xomplex because the amount of faces, names and ranks thrown around, I actually prefer watching the episodes that focus on developing the cast more than I enjoy seeing the war progress.

Does anyone have a chart that rans the nobility and military ranks used in the story? I have a vague understanding, knowing which rank is higher than the other, but I can't say I have a firm grasp on the roles of rank. For example, I'm not sure how an 'Imperial Admiral' (Reinhard seems to command all other Admirals), an 'Admiral', a 'Vice Admiral' and a 'Rear Admiral' work together. It's headache inducing.

I'm going to watch another 10 episodes later. I'll then watch the remaining 5-6 episodes of the first series. After that, I'll rewatch the first series in an attempt to get the informaion to sink into my brain. I don't think it'll do much good with my memory being as bad as it is but it's worth a shot.

I watched 1st 2 eps of Ergo Proxy, really enjoyed it.

Decided I will now wait to see the rest when the boxset comes out, I can't wait.

BlackWolf said:
Let me know if it gets caught by customs or not if you wouldn't mind :) i wouldn't mind that set myself considering it also includes the movie
Arrived in the post today. Considering I ordered it on Monday night it was quite a quick delivery. Being a penny below the legal VAT limit it went through customs without incident. The boxset itself was slightly bent but it looks acceptable on my shelf, and for £17.99 I'm not complaining.

Zin5ki said:
BlackWolf said:
Arrived in the post today. Considering I ordered it on Monday night it was quite a quick delivery. Being a penny below the legal VAT limit it went through customs without incident. The boxset itself was slightly bent but it looks acceptable on my shelf, and for £17.99 I'm not complaining.

Ah nice :) thanks for that

Edit: I got side tracked :p

FMP? Fumoffu eps 1-3 so far i'm liking this, been a while since i've laughed a lot

Over the past two days i've watched 21-25 of Gundam 00 season 1 and overall i have to say i enjoyed these last episodes. A good end to a series which started off a tad sluggishly. I'm about to start Season 2 as well so i'm hoping the quality keeps getting better.

Was planning to properly start Blue Gender today, but my heart was set on rewatching Akira instead.

BDUM!
BDUM!
TCHHHHH!
BDUM!

(I digress.)

Shikabane Hime: Aka eps 2-3 well i'm going to continue with this series for now, after a bland first ep its beginning to get my intrest

Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu eps 4-6 i can see me going through this series in two days :p

Managed to watch Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu eps 7-9 before my g/f came over, going to finish this off tonight i think...

EDIT: Yup just finished eps 10-12 so that's another series down, and i can see myself rewatching it a few times as well. Got a good amount of laughs from it :) Now to get ahold of The Second Raid...

I'm up to episode 28 of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Only 82 episodes to go, as well as another 50 episodes in prequels and a few films. Will I survive until the end? Only Allah knows such things.

Despite its length and the silly amount of characters involved, some of whom only appear for one episode, it's wonderful stuff. So wonderful in fact that, despite the jaw dropping length, I'm going to rewactch episodes 1-28 before moving on. I get the feeling more will sink in the secind time around - I'll know the characters from the off, and I'll hopefully pick up a few extra details here and there as a result.

The only things I dislike about LotGH are the silly amount of characters, complete with hard to remember names (Dirkin von Yerkinho) and varying ranks, and the space battle sequences. Because of a combination of the series age and the video quality, I struggle to see what's going on during the battles, only understanding what's shown on the tactical screens during battles. I almost wish there was some easy to follow mecha combat, but that would've made the story less serious, and that wouldn't have been good when the story is as adult as they come.

LOGH is doomed to remain a fansub classic, from what I've read. Its length in view of its age is likely to prevent anybody from licencing it. Then again, Galaxy Express 999 is "available" on Crunchyroll, so if legal online streaming gains some steam the situation might change.

Zin5ki said:
LOGH is doomed to remain a fansub classic, from what I've read. Its length in view of its age is likely to prevent anybody from licencing it. Then again, Galaxy Express 999 is "available" on Crunchyroll, so if legal online streaming gains some steam the situation might change.

Yes, indeed.

Going on what's said in the thread above, it was once on the verge of getting a complete boxed set release, holding all 160+ episodes. But, before licensing it, a company involved wanted at least 1500 people who'd commit to paying $1700 for the collection. And, of course, very few people want to or are able to pay that sort of money in one go for an anime box set.

Since the Japanese license holders won't allow the set to be sold for cmuch cheaper than it sold in Japan and it's far too long (and old) to air on TV, there's little chance of it ever making it outside of Japan. We in the west are lucky that Central-Anime subbed the entire series, and even released DVD-rips of 1-16.

Back