Your viewing journal

Angelic Layer (English Dub) Episode 10 - 18 (Blu-ray)
This just keeps getting better. I'm Loving the battle between the dolls.

Chio's School Road (English Dub) Episode 11

Between the Sky and Sea (Sub) Episode 1
Not bad, but could have been better.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (Sub) Episode 1
That was a very interesting first episode. Definitely going to like this alot.

Cells at Work ep3-4

Macrophage confirmed as an 'ara ara' character. I am okay with this.

Twilight Q parts 1-2

Well, that was a head scratcher. Oshii's contribution is definitely the more interesting part (almost feels like a warmup for Gozensosama Ban-Banzai), but I liked the '80s-tastic pastel aesthetic of the first half too. A real shame the series never continued beyond these two films.

Ep 1 of Run With the Wind...hey Kageyama you're supposed to be playing volleyball :D
Eps 1 & 2 of RErideD...so he just happens to fall underground and then into a cryostasis machine...okay

Violet evergarden OVA: A vastly superior episode to most of the season imo and shows how an extra 10 min running time can help.(Does make me hope the film is set before the end of the show too)
Free timeless melody Bonds: A recap of Season 2 from Haru it links to the S3 more than I expected as it shows Ikuya is different from high speed
high speed - Free! starting days: Still an amazing film so glad to own it with English options.

Mobile Police Patlabor - Episodes 9 - 12 (Blu-ray)

This has been a particularly strong run of episodes, the Eve's Trap & Eve's Terror two-parter was gripping and then the series showed its tender side with Ota-centric episode 12.

Urgh, haven't posted in a while

Summer Season:

Finished:
My Sweet Tyrant 8/10
Cells At Work 8/10
Yama no Susume 9/10
Happy Sugar Life 8/10
Comic Girls 10/10
Harukana Receive 9/10

Remaining:
Angels of Death (E9)

Dropped:
Island (E2)

Autumn Season Episode 1's

Jingai-san no Yome - What... Why is this even a thing
Bunny Girl - Enjoyed the first episode
Between the Sky and Sea - Generic, really generic but Fun

Few I'm going to be starting, but wont list at the moment

Non-Seasonal Shows

Softenni

Violet Evergarden special (ep 4.5)
I think they pitched her character well between the automaton of the earlier episodes and the more human version of the later episodes, and as I've seen all the season I understand better where she was coming from. If I had seen this in the correct order I would have liked the progression in the character, but still wouldn't have much of a clue about her past as that didn't reveal it self till episode 8. Although in terms of the letter at the end it seemed to come from the more experienced Violet of later, which felt a little off, unless it was mostly nicked from the abandoned letters the post office worker showed her.
Overall a better episode than the earlier ones, but not as good as episodes 7-10.
7/10

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA ep 1
Real fun first episode. If I say more I'll spoil it.
The opening was a great troll moment. Seems Cygames like making idols out of odd versions of girls. In spring we had horse-girl idols and now they bring us zombie-girl idols! If MAPPA do as good-a-job as P. A. Works did with Uma Masume we could have an AOTS contender

Banana Fish ep 13
Ash's bloody retribution continues. Just how many bullets did he have on him. His gun only takes 6, but he must have shot at 4 times that!

B: The Beginning episodes 1-6 - Finally getting around to this and I'm liking it so far

Violet Evergarden Special - As usual I got hit with feels and beautiful animation. As this special serves as an episode 4.5 it really would make the eventual re-watch a better experience in terms of pacing though I'll leave that until the AL release. 9/10

Between the Sky and Sea episode 1 - An interesting concept but this series is on thin ice so I'll give it the three episode rule

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA episode 1 - This show is stupid as hell and I love it. As with Cygames other show, Uma Musume, this series has a stupid premise but it somehow just works. I expect this'll be a favourite for this season.

Frankenstein Family episodes 9-10

BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO episode 14 - I didn't expect this to be a two cour series but here we are. Time for more nonsense with the Bandori girls

Banana Fish episode 13 Subway shootouts and knifefights.

Zombieland Saga episode 1 A Zombie Idol Group? Sounds perfect for Halloween.

31 Days of Halloween Day #4: The Crazies (1973, George A. Romero) Though renowned for his Dead trilogy, George A. Romero also directed some notable horror films such as this. The themes of us vs them that were found in the Dead films are seen here, but instead of Zombies it’s a virus that causes insanity. The common sight of men in white suits and gasmasks never ceases to be unnerving, as are some scenes such as the knitting needle sequence. 4/5

If her Flag Breaks episodes 7-13 (Complete. A typical harem that piles on all the cliches in the book until the story kicks in. The directing and some decent action and story towards the latter half is what saves it from being dire however and it turned out to be decent entertainment.) 3/5

Angelic Layer (English Dub) Episode 19 - 26 (Complete) (Blu-ray)
I really liked this series. 7/10

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (English Dub) Episode 11 (Uncensored)

Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits (English Dub) Episode 25

Zombie Land Saga (Sub) Episode 1
Well that was a fun first ep, crazy but fun.

31 Days of Halloween Day #4: The Crazies (1973, George A. Romero) Though renowned for his Dead trilogy, George A. Romero also directed some notable horror films such as this. The themes of us vs them that were found in the Dead films are seen here, but instead of Zombies it’s a virus that causes insanity. The common sight of men in white suits and gasmasks never ceases to be unnerving, as are some scenes such as the knitting needle sequence. 4/5

I have a lot of time for The Crazies. The limited budget is pretty obvious, but it's an interesting little film; really feels like a bridge between Night of the Living Dead and Dawn, particularly the early part of the latter. The omnipresent clean-up crews in their anonymous white hazmat suits are definitely a chilling sight, although I do now struggle to not conflate the film with the later Italian effort Zombi 3, which employs a lot of similar imagery: https://www.indymetalvault.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/zombie3still3.png

Violet Evergarden OVA
I would've much preferred this to be included in the season itself. A good episode. D1tchD1gger's right in what he said about it sort of relying on information coming from the later episodes, but I just felt like it should've been a normal episode.

Frankenstein Family Episode 10
I do quite like this but I don't think its particularly worthy of note. Finishes next week though.

Between The Sky and The Sea Episode 1
This one gets the three episode rule :confused:

Zombie Land Saga Episode 1
This was fun. Looking forward to more of this one :)

Ep 1 Hinomaru Sumo
Ep 1 of Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu...they changed the anime compared to what happened in the manga (understandable). Already love it and so happy for more BL anime.
Ep 1 of Bakumatsu: Ren’ai Bakumatsu Gaiden

Last edited:
Free! Timeless Medley - Promise Even better than the first both do cover S2 fully I cant think of a part missing, also the epilogue links to S3 (so the recaps are essential imo) and fixes a few of problems with S3 as they set it all up it doesnt come randomly anymore. So as soon as S3 is on BD i will rewatch it all. Still Take your marks left. But I think due to all of it for me being amazing and no endless eight makes Free! my top KyoAni franchise and I love that keeps getting overlooked as fan service.

Mitsuboshi Colors ep 7
More colourful fun! As cute and funny as it can be at times I'm finding it hard to watch more than one episode at a time due to the high sugar content! (doesn't help that it's on HIDIVE so have watch on my phone. The yellow subs don't help either!).

But there's new stuff to watch:
Ms. Vampire who lives in my neighborhood ep 1
A obsessive girl, who loves dolls, meets a loli vampire who she sees as a living doll. Sophie, the vampire, is quite laid back and is also an Otaku and has lots of fun dialogue, but Akari is a little loud and overbearing. There's more than a hint at yuri in the OP, so we'll see where it goes. Hopefully the other characters are fun.

Hinomaruzumou ep 1
Seems interesting. Might learn a bit about Sumo. The MC is a bit like your typical shouty shounen character with moral compass pointing straight up, but is still fairly likeable.

Bloom Into You ep 1
Seems like a sweet Shoujo Ai. The confession from the sempai seemed a bit sudden, but it recovered a little. I hope there isn't as much "drama" as Citrus. Yellow subs hurt me again!

IRODUKO: The World in Colors (glad Amazon shortened that 😀)
Story is intriguing, and the art and animation are absolutely stunning especially this part:
BQM6jEZ-UJLgGUuvrNkYUJUnMjbsLSp9Yv8C5U86p6-YNvxIFPcP-AptQoxO2kG1Ge1PVXGZFIvOG3UlzOgzbA

Boarding School Juliet ep 1
A comedy take on Romeo and Juliet. Some humorous moments and some good action scenes as well.

So far so good on the new season. Now back to the last one:
Angels of Death (ONA/Special, whatever) ep 1 (13)
Explains what happened to Rachel up to the point we met her at the start.

PS The next Cells at Work reaction is up:

Back