Your viewing journal

I've been watching Second Barrage. With two episodes remaining, the Tokyo arc is at this point easily my favourite of both series. I raised an eyebrow when a supporting character, Yukio, started quoting Sartre, but his "bad faith" concept is actually relevant to the lives of both her and Rock.

My only disappointment is that the animation seems to have taken a hit from the first season. There's a lot of Korean names in the credits of most episodes, leading me to believe that much of it was done on the cheap. The action still packs a punch, mind you.

I'm currently watching this ugly yet beautiful world, seem volume I, halfway through volume II and will try to finish volume three today as well.

Been Slowly but surely working my way through Gundam 00 season 1, just finished watching episode 15, still feels like its getting better as it goes on. Also finally got back into watching Xam'd after letting a few episodes air first, so going to attempt to watch 11-14 in the next couple of days.

Watched My Santa. I found it quite amusing and really felt for the main character who disliked Christmas because he was called Santa due to being born on Christmas eve.

Dracos said:
Watched My Santa. I found it quite amusing and really felt for the main character who disliked Christmas because he was called Santa due to being born on Christmas eve.

You're talking about Always my Santa? If yes, I was considering getting that without knowing anything about it, simply because it's an Akamatsu story...

chaos said:
Dracos said:

You're talking about Always my Santa? If yes, I was considering getting that without knowing anything about it, simply because it's an Akamatsu story...

Yep that's the one. I only really bought it because it was cheap and coming up to Christmas, but it is actually quite funny.

Watched Neo Tokyo

Labryinth - was ok, drawings kinda put me off and it was really weird.

Running Man - Really enjoyed this, art was really good too. It got me with the futuristic racing, I like :lol:

Construction Cancellation Order: was good, art good also and I liked all the construction robots, some great ideas there.

Overall I expected a little more from the 3 stories but the overall running time was only 50mins, so I guess there is never gonna be a whole lotta story.

Personally felt that Memories was a better collection of stories but it is worth a watch.

Tales of the Abyss: 8 & 9

Very good episodes. The story is a bit unclear in mind after not watching for a few weeks (was waiting for Shinsen), and some of the new plot points are confusing me, but both episodes were good to watch. With stunning (for a TV series) visuals, fast pacing and it being a JRPG adaptation, it's hard for me to not get some enjoyment out of each episode. Looking forward to more of the same.

I'll probably re-watch the first 13 episodes once the 14th episode comes out. I'm hopeless at remembering stuff; I need to engrave it into my mind with repeated viewings most of the time.

Kurozuka: 7

I still have no idea what the hell is going on, but I don't really care when the series can do the dark mystery thing so well. Episode 7 was a step-up from the last two episodes, with the previous episode in particular having been a bit poor. The episode was a travel episode, mixed with some horror type mystery as Kuro searched for what killed everyone in Kagura and the usual confusing as hell flashbacks. Hopefully, all the incomprehensible flashbacks will make sense by the end...

I now need to try to catch up with Michiko and watch another episode of Casshern-the-same-****-happens-every-episode-with-near-to-no-plot-advancement-Sins in order to decide if I should drop it. I should also try to watch another episode of Mouryou, but all I really like about that show is the lovely Clamp artwork.

Sat down to watch my Law of Ueki: Vol. 1 DVD last night. Watched two episodes before going to sleep, watched the other two just now. It impressed me enough to want to collect as many of the other volumes as I can.

It's standard shounen stuff: one dimensional characters who do what they do because it's right, because it's wrong or because they like someone. And, of course, there's non-stop fighting. But there's something about the series that's gotten me to enjoy it for what it is and not attack it for for being shallow, that something being me not having seen a good shounen (shounen as in 100% kiddy; not like Claymore) series since the old Bleach and Naruto. I can see myself easily sitting through all 51 episodes...if I can get the DVDs that Geneon released before going bye-bye, that is.

While nothing really new to the shounen genre, I like how each of the 100 fighters get to pick the 'talent' they want to use to fight the others for the chance to be the last standing and get to pick any talent imaginable. I also like the idea of each fighter losing natural talents if they attack people without powers, with the risk of vanishing completely if all the natural talents of the power user are erased. The talent aspect makes the battles more interesting than I've come to expect shounen series to be.

I'm going to have to wait until SecondSpin next do their 20% + free international shipping before I can order any more volumes, which means I'll have to wait until the end of Dec-Jan to order and then wait another month for them to arrive. I just hope the pound is stronger by the time the next SecondSpin sales comes around - it's not so bargaintastic right now, even when only paying $5-6 per DVD.

Back