Your viewing journal

Simoun

Gosh, I finished off two series in one day. This one fascinated me from start to finish, mainly due to its unusual premise and execution. It's a war anime, but it's about the characters and how, as priestesses, they reconcile their sacred roles with being soldiers. The other prominent theme is obviously gender. It's the kind of show where not eveything is laid out for the viewer, leaving much open to interpretation. As someone who hates being clubbed over the head with unecessary exposition, this is an approach I was able to appreciate. FUMBS UP! :thumb:

Stuff I think I watched since last on.

Maps. Generic space adventure show.
Hellisng Ultimate Vol 4. Nice, Alucard in a blazing Blackbird.
Familiar Of Zero. Very cliche, but nice animation and a easy watch.
Claymore Volume 1. Some good action and character bulding, should be good if it can keep it up.
Jyu-Oh-Sei. Some good ideas but cliched. Only being 11 episodes saves it.
Ouran High School Host Club Part 1. I was surprised how enjoyable I found this. I thought it was going to be a bit girly but the humor is so well done I did not even think about it after a while.

Freedom 1-6: More enjoyable that I expected. Nice, if fairly straightforward, story. First cel-shaded characters I've seen that fit in with their world (handpainted backgrounds) and actually move more like hand drawn.

Higurashi Kai 1-8: Happy to say I'm enjoying it more than the first. There was a point in the first series where it almost reached a level of incomprehensibility, but now it's turned back into a good mystery again.
Had to laugh when Hanyuu turned up and it looked like it was going to turn into Quantum Leap: "Trapped in the past, Rika Furude finds herself leaping from life to life, putting things right that once went wrong..."

Oh and I forgot (easily done) about Space Symphony Maetel: If you hold any precious memories of Galaxy Express 999, do not watch this. When you're not bored to death you'll be gritting your teeth at the cliches and the repetition of things that you've seen before. In the original Galaxy Express 999!

Just finished Freedom. Wow, I really enjoyed it :D

Not a fan of CGI, even when cell shaded but it looked really good and the background art was top notch.

Occasionally the movement of the characters (CGI) wasn't quite right, they sometimes reminded me of bobbleheads but I am being a little picky there to be honest, it was rare.

As for the Story well it really sucked me in and put it this way. I have never bought an anime and watched it all so quickly. The music as well really hit the spot, it gave it a great feel and atmosphere.

One other thing. I'm starting to notice that when I am really impressed by an anime, in terms of the art. The credits at the end feature a few of the other studios. I believe Steamboy was the same. Anyway I noticed Gonzo's name on the credits to Freedom and a few others that I hadn't heard of. Its always seems so much better when the work together :D

Azumanga daioh - Ep 1+2; Haha. This is definetly the easiest watch, ever. I mean, it's so relaxing to just sit down, and watch it. The characters are great, too; Especially Tomo, she makes me lol all the time at her personality and what she does. Going too watch some more tonight!

This weeks Bleach was so good. I am fully pumped and impatient for the next episode.

About to watch the second series of GITS from now until Sunday night. Been wanting to see for so long.

After being so busy for the past couple of weeks, i finally found some time to watch some anime over the last two days. Watched the 27 and 28 of Soul Eater which continues to get better, Bones haven't gone wrong with it yet. Also been working my way through Gundam 00 season 1, watched 10-11 and have 12 planned for later on tonight. It did originally feel a bit average but its definitely started to get better now.

I may also get round to watching a bit more of Berserk, i have 2 volumes which i have yet to watch so i think i should get started with them soon enough.

Witch Hunter Robin 25-26

What an awesome series.

Edit: Bleach 195

HOLY ****!! KENPACHI SAVES ICHIGO LIKE WHAT THE **** I cant wait till next weeks ep

Another Edit: Ergo Proxy ep 1

The most confusing f*cking show ever. So many questions like;

What the f*ck is an autobot?

Why the f*ck is she called Real? Is that just trying to confuse me while im reading the subs?

What the f*ck are those things that are just all black? Were they attacking Real??

What the f*ck is even going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenpachi saves Ichigo with the power of Kendo.

Michiko to Hatchin episode 4 - It was good, ok?

Kurozuka episodes 4 and 5 - Jesus Christ, I can barely enjoy this, Mamoru Miyano, confirmed for Japanese Vic Mignogna, using the same voice constantly, I HATE Light Yagami's voice with a passion and now it just ruins the show with that awful scream he does.

Yu Yu Hakusho 79-90 - Dragon Ball Z done right. I like it so much now... but it will end soon, shame.

Higurashi Kai 13-18: It's now more or less impossible to comment on this series without spoiling it, but I can say it's really, really good.

Mazinger Z 1-5: Hard to rate as the picture and sub quality of the version I'm watching are both pretty awful. My favourite moment so far has been when Kouji is woken up in class and his teacher turns around and says "Subdirectory, Kouji?" and the constant use of the phrase "Cheer up a bit" in the most inappropriate circumstances (such as just before a character's death, or when they are being attacked).

Spyro201 said:
Ergo Proxy ep 1

The most confusing f*cking show ever. So many questions like;

What the f*ck is an autobot?
I Liked Ergo a lot, hope you enjoy it and that all the questions don't put you off. I don't remember there being any Transformers in it though? ;)

Lupus Inu said:
Kurozuka episodes 4 and 5 - Jesus Christ, I can barely enjoy this, Mamoru Miyano, confirmed for Japanese Vic Mignogna, using the same voice constantly, I HATE Light Yagami's voice with a passion and now it just ruins the show with that awful scream he does.

GTFO F*****

I admit: Mammy always uses the same voice. But really, who cares when his voice is so amazing? The guy will always be one of the best in my mind for his performance as Light.

The problem with Mammy is that he always gets weak roles. He never had chance to express himself as Kiba in Wolf's Rain, and it's pretty much the same with Kuro. Mammy needs a character who constantly throws around awe inspiring rubbish; not ******* Kiba.

By the way, episode 6 is ****. Prepare for lots of white screening and general lack of budget problems (what happened Madhouse?). The actual content was boring action ****, too.

Back