Your viewing journal

Aion said:
But, whatever happens, I'll prefer Furuichi to the main character...whose name I can never spell. The main character has no qualities that make him stand out; he simply goes with the flow and does nothing of interest.
I don't. The idea that this regular, boring kid's been thrown into the situation makes it a bit more interesting. He hasn't done anything outstanding yet but he doesn't really need to.

Aion said:
Plus, she's hot.
This.

Aion said:
I've given up on watching Xam'd for plot reasons; I (or rather, I will once it resumes) simply watch it because it looks great and is a blast.
The thing about X'amd is that I can still enjoy it without knowing everything about the overall plot. As long as I can follow the plot from episode to episode i'll be happy to be there for the ride.
Plus as you say it looks great. Steampunk style is always my favourite, and theres definately some elements here. Plus the art in general is fantastic. Possible my favourite style of art. Great background, simple character designs, really, but they stand out and it works.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (completed) Watched this over the last two days including the two unaired episodes. Enjoyed it very much as expected and now looking forward to the Second Raid. ^^

Bleach 188-191 God damn it! The story line gets back on Target and doesn't go anywhere! Now I'll have to wait another couple of weeksT_T

Slayers Next. I think a lot of newer writers and directors need to look back at series like this to find the right amount of action and story with a good pace.

Death Note Vol 7. Is it me or did the pace seem to up, just hope it can keep up the good work. I am just a little worried about what I have heard about the end of the series being padded out.

Bleach The Move. Just more Bleach did little to add to the story, and worse it came out before the right part of series.

Naruto Box Set 10. More Naruto action, which I felt was better than the box set 9.

Started to watch Aria, which is just beautiful.

Tales of Symphonia - 2/4

The first episode was paced really well - a few things had to be cut but the start of the story didn't lose too much. The second episode was less impressive, it being very rushed, jumping from boss fight to boss fight with the town travel from the game cut.

Considering the animation studio behind it had to fit the story of a fairly large RPG into less than 2 hours, they haven't done a bad job so far. ToS isn't my favourite game in existence, and I can't really remember too much about it, so I'm fine with the anime as long as it continues being enjoyable.

Welcome to the NHK! - 5/24

Better than Genshikin in the battle of the otaku culture series. It has more of a serious edge to it than its light-hearted rival, mainly due to the main character being a recluse who had barely gone out for 3 years prior to the story starting.

The small main cast all have issues: Satou has no social life, no dreams, no nothing...until a 17-18 year old girl called Misaki decides to make him her project, telling him she'll cure him. Misaki seems normal enough but her reasoning for wanting to help Satou most likely goes deeper than her simply being good natured. Satou's otaku neighbour, Yamazaki, has a history of being bullied. Kashiwa, Satou's high school sempai/love interest, believes all her problems are down to some sort of conspiracy, and she's on various medication.

The list of characters will no doubt increase as the story unfolds. The story of NHK is the sort of the story where no-one is perfect; a realistic depiction of people. Or, in other words, NHK is good **** for people who like mature anime.

The two things that bug me about the series are the OP and ED animations. The OP doesn't really fit with the actual episode animation; it's dream-like and a bit bizarre. The ED is just downright ******* weird, with weird little alien things dancing around. I would've preferred something more normal at the start and end...

Gantz Ep 1 - Awful. 3/10. One of the worst anime series I have ever seen. The animation was blank, slow, and unappealing; Even the gore looked cheaply done. The dub was fustrating and annoying. I felt like the storyline was ruined, because it may of been alright.

Lucky star ep 1 - Alright - 7/10. Was quite amusing how they talked about how to eat snacks for about 10 minutes :lol: Maybe I'll finish this, in time.

Also watched episodes 1 and 2 of various new season anime. I'll probably watch Kannagi and Chaos;Head - Maybe toradora if I run out of anime :D

Finished Aria, what a lovely series. I can’t wait till the next one.

Negima Specials. Light fluff really. The first one annoyed me some what though keep interrupting to stick the girls facts up, but not long enough to read.

Dracos said:
Finished Aria, what a lovely series. I can’t wait till the next one.

Did you get the box set? I've been thinking about watching this, but for some reason I always end up passing. I'm guessing my snarky and wary expectation that it's going to be just cuteness, cute gondolier girls, and cute stories, and nothing much else but cute coming out of my ears is totally a narrow and misplaced view? The need to switch off cynical battle-mode before watching?
I love water and Venice, hows the animation?

Watching Toradora ep 5.

Watched Darkside Blues

Was pretty confused at the beginning, its just seems to start and your left wondering what the hells going on but by the end I quite enjoyed it

Trigunette said:
I'm guessing my snarky and wary expectation that it's going to be just cuteness, cute gondolier girls, and cute stories, and nothing much else but cute coming out of my ears is totally a narrow and misplaced view?
Based on what I've seen, that seems a fair assessment. Maybe. It's all very lighthearted and often nauseatingly pleasant, but I guess that's the point. You'll definitely want to disengage cynic mode. I, unfortunately, am not quite able to.

The visuals are nice.

Disgaea 1-4: I wanted a light hearted comedy to replace what I lost after finishing MagiPoka. Currently, it's failing. I hope there's more Captain Gordon, he's carrying the series for me at this point.

Adieu Galaxy Express: I enjoyed the first film and will check out the series at some point - but seriously, WHAT is Maetel's problem? She becomes Queen of the Machine World and sits idly by while a war kills thousands of people so that she has the authority to open a door at the end and let Tetsuro put a stop to it all? When it opened I half expected Tetsuro to turn round with an appaled expression and say "WTF Maetel!?"

Rewatched: Urusei Yatsura 1-5: Been a while since I watched these actually so I'm really enjoying it. They certainly don't make them like this anymore...

Black Lagoon Second Barrage Disk 3. Enjoyable enough, but I still can't work out how the series managed to get all the praise that it did. The lack of an underlying story arc makes this a series that serves no purpose.

Ergo Proxy Disk 2.
Still unsure about this series, but i'm getting annoyed that everyone except the main characters keep on getting killed off.

ayase said:
Disgaea 1-4: I wanted a light hearted comedy to replace what I lost after finishing MagiPoka. Currently, it's failing. I hope there's more Captain Gordon, he's carrying the series for me at this point.

Have you played the game of Disgaea? For me, i had finished the game several times before i got round to watching the series, as well as Disgaea 2, and to be honest, the series lacked in almost every aspect, most especially the comedy. I think making the game into a series was probably the wrong way to go about it, since its humor really worked well for the game. I just hope they don't make a series for 2 and 3.

Anyway, watching/watched tonight:

Soul Eater 26 Was waiting a while for this, was definitely worth it. Hoping to see 27-28 soon enough though, Arachne should make her appearance soon, along with seeing Justin Law in action, all should be good

Gundam 00 series 1 ep 10 - finally making a bit more progress with the series, just need to find more time to watch it.

Clannad ~After Story~ 4-5 - Still enjoying this as much as i expected, want to see how these next episodes turn out.

Toradora! 2 After a good wee start, thought i'd continue with it, hopefully more of the same, but i'll wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arbalest said:
ayase said:

Have you played the game of Disgaea? For me, i had finished the game several times before i got round to watching the series, as well as Disgaea 2, and to be honest, the series lacked in almost every aspect, most especially the comedy. I think making the game into a series was probably the wrong way to go about it, since its humor really worked well for the game. I just hope they don't make a series for 2 and 3.
I've not, no. But if playing the game actually makes the anime seem more dissapointing that's not a good sign. Preparing to drop... I wouldn't mind playing the game (I think it's the sort I'd enjoy) but I've not got a PS2, and when I get round to buying a PS3 they aren't backwards compatible anymore sadly.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Trigunette said:
I'm guessing my snarky and wary expectation that it's going to be just cuteness, cute gondolier girls, and cute stories, and nothing much else but cute coming out of my ears is totally a narrow and misplaced view?
Based on what I've seen, that seems a fair assessment. Maybe. It's all very lighthearted and often nauseatingly pleasant, but I guess that's the point. You'll definitely want to disengage cynic mode. I, unfortunately, am not quite able to.

The visuals are nice.

Yeah I watched ep 1 and it really is a little too cutesy for my mood right now.
I was in need of some spunky girl kicking the 'president' back ashore, and then speed punting backwards in twirling neptunus green waters with thunder clouds rumbling and eyes aimed at a dark island in the background.

Watching Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
I'm up to episode 8 now
I'm really enjoying the way the story is set out (even if I am a bit confused!) and the plot is very intriguing...
Oh and you gotta love the killer lolis!

Afro Samurai - 6/10

Mostly poor, saved only by the art/animation and a nice enough back-story for one of Afro's old friends. The story was non-existent, the main character soulless, sex/swear words were thrown in for no reason and Mr. Jackson's character was as annoying as he was pointless. I dread to think how bad the sequel is going to be...

Back